Connect with us

World news

Dutchman Arrested For Cyber Attack On Spamhaus

Published

on

spamhaus_logo

A Dutchman has been arrested in Spain in connection with last month’s unprecedented cyber attack that reportedly slowed down the Internet, the Dutch prosecution service said.

The 35-year-old identified only as S.K. was arrested in Barcelona and the house where he was staying searched by Spanish police, said a statement.

“He is suspected of involvement in the attack and so the prosecution service asked for his arrest,” spokesman Wim de Bruin told AFP on Saturday.

Last month’s attack targeted Spamhaus, a Geneva-based volunteer group that publishes spam blacklists used by networks to filter out unwanted email, and led to cyberspace congestion.

Spamhaus blamed the attack on Dutch web-hosting service Cyberbunker.

A source close to the investigation said that suspect S.K. was Sven Olaf Kamphuis, who acted as a spokesman for Cyberbunker at the time of the attack.

Kamphuis describes himself on his Facebook page as Minister of Telecommunications and Foreign Affairs for the Cyberbunker Republic.

De Bruin declined to speculate on whether further arrests would be made.
Computers, storage devices and mobile phones were seized during the Barcelona raid.

“K. is suspected of an unprecedented attack on non-profit organisation Spamhaus,” the statement said.

“So-called DDoS attacks were last month also carried out on Spamhaus partners in the US, the Netherlands and the UK,” it said.

Distributed denial of service attacks (DDoS) essentially bombard sites with traffic in order to disrupt.

Last month’s attack was described as the most powerful ever seen and slowed web traffic.

K. is expected to be handed over to the Dutch authorities soon, the prosecution service said.

Continue Reading
1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. SianClaire

    April 29, 2013 at 10:37 am

    These cyber attacks are becoming smarter and more sophisticated all the time. Interesting/scary stuff… http://www.worldreview.info/content/global-cyber-crime-attacks-industry-get-smarter

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

World news

JUST IN: ECOWAS Lifts Sanctions On Mali

Published

on

ECOWAS countries
ECOWAS Countries

ECOWAS Countries

(more…)

Continue Reading

World news

US President, Donald Trump, Wife Test Positive For Covid-19

Published

on

Donald Trump and Melania
Donald Trump and Melania

Donald Trump and wife, Melania Trump

President of the United States, Donald Trump, and his wife, Melania Trump have both tested positive for COVID-19.

The President took to his official Twitter handle on Friday to make this announcement.

Trump was last seen in public on Thursday afternoon, returning to the White House after a fundraising trip to New Jersey.

Also Read: What I Told Trump When He Accused Me Of Killing Christians – Buhari

On Thursday, he announced that his aide, Hope Hicks tested positive for the virus which has killed over 1 million people around the world.

He further revealed that he and the first lady had taken the test and waiting for the results before announcing the outcome on Friday.

 

Continue Reading

World news

Mali: N’Daw, Coup Leader Goita Sworn In As President, VP

Published

on

President of Mali, N'Daw, coup leader, Goita
President of Mali, N'Daw, coup leader, Goita

President of Mali, N’Daw, coup leader, Goita

Retired Army Colonel, Bah N’Daw has been sworn in on Friday as the interim president of Mali and he is to head a transitional government following last month’s military coup in the country.

The swearing-in ceremony held in the country’s capital city of Bamako, where Colonel Assimi Goita, who led the military junta, was also sworn in as interim vice president.

This administration is to lead the government for a maximum of 18 months before organising national elections.

Also Read: Buhari Attends Virtual ECOWAS Extraordinary Summit Over Mali Crisis

It will be recalled that the country’s military executed a coup last month (August 18) which successfully removed the nation’s president, Ibrahim Boubacar Keita from office.

Former President of Nigeria, Goodluck Jonathan, attended the ceremony alongside other members of the ECOWAS mediation team.

Continue Reading

Trending