Connect with us

World news

British Millionaire Convicted For Selling Fake Bomb Detectors

Published

on

James McCormick

James McCormick

A 56-year-old British millionaire is facing jail after he was convicted on Tuesday of selling fake bomb detectors to Iraq and other countries.

James McCormick was found guilty of three counts of fraud at London’s Old Bailey court for selling completely ineffective devices based on an American novelty golf ball finder.

McCormick made an estimated £50 million(N12.1bn) from sales of his three models to Iraq, Belgium and the United Nations for use in Lebanon.

“The devices did not work and he knew they did not work,” prosecutor Richard Whittam told jurors.

“And despite the fact they did not work, people bought them for a handsome but unwarranted profit.”

The businessman, who is from Langport in Somerset, southwest England, is believed to have made around £37 million from sales to Iraq alone, while other customers included Georgia and Niger.

McCormick told the court he had also sold the detectors to the Egyptian army, Kenyan police, Hong Kong’s prison service and Thai border control.

He used glossy brochures and the Internet as means of marketing the detectors to governments around the world, with advertising material showing the devices being used to find explosives, drugs, ivory and people.

Whittam said McCormick had made “fantastic” claims about the detectors, including that they could track objects a kilometre (0.6 miles) underground.

One of the models was sold for as much as $40,000(about N6.3m)per unit, Whittam said.

McCormick told the court that one of his detectors had been used to check a hotel in Romania before a US president visited in the 1990s.

“I never had any negative results from customers,” the businessman said.

McCormick walks free for now as he is out on bail, until his sentencing on May 2.

Continue Reading
1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. Man Jidda

    April 23, 2013 at 7:42 pm

    God give me promotion

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

World news

JUST IN: ECOWAS Lifts Sanctions On Mali

Published

on

ECOWAS countries
ECOWAS Countries

ECOWAS Countries

(more…)

Continue Reading

World news

US President, Donald Trump, Wife Test Positive For Covid-19

Published

on

Donald Trump and Melania
Donald Trump and Melania

Donald Trump and wife, Melania Trump

President of the United States, Donald Trump, and his wife, Melania Trump have both tested positive for COVID-19.

The President took to his official Twitter handle on Friday to make this announcement.

Trump was last seen in public on Thursday afternoon, returning to the White House after a fundraising trip to New Jersey.

Also Read: What I Told Trump When He Accused Me Of Killing Christians – Buhari

On Thursday, he announced that his aide, Hope Hicks tested positive for the virus which has killed over 1 million people around the world.

He further revealed that he and the first lady had taken the test and waiting for the results before announcing the outcome on Friday.

 

Continue Reading

World news

Mali: N’Daw, Coup Leader Goita Sworn In As President, VP

Published

on

President of Mali, N'Daw, coup leader, Goita
President of Mali, N'Daw, coup leader, Goita

President of Mali, N’Daw, coup leader, Goita

Retired Army Colonel, Bah N’Daw has been sworn in on Friday as the interim president of Mali and he is to head a transitional government following last month’s military coup in the country.

The swearing-in ceremony held in the country’s capital city of Bamako, where Colonel Assimi Goita, who led the military junta, was also sworn in as interim vice president.

This administration is to lead the government for a maximum of 18 months before organising national elections.

Also Read: Buhari Attends Virtual ECOWAS Extraordinary Summit Over Mali Crisis

It will be recalled that the country’s military executed a coup last month (August 18) which successfully removed the nation’s president, Ibrahim Boubacar Keita from office.

Former President of Nigeria, Goodluck Jonathan, attended the ceremony alongside other members of the ECOWAS mediation team.

Continue Reading

Trending