Connect with us

Metro News

7 Feared Dead In Onitsha Rainstorm

Published

on

rainstorm Onitsha

Seven persons were feared dead and goods worth millions of naira destroyed in the commercial city of Onitsha during a down pour.

Those who died included two men said to be driving in a Toyota Camry car towards Asaba in Delta State, as well as a Keke NAPEP operator and his passengers. A crane was used to recover the Toyota car and the two occupants.

The identities of the victims have not been established, but they were said to be carried by the ravaging flood at the slum area of Okpoko junction, near the Upper Iweka road in Onitsha. Two other corpses were also seen at a spot near the Kate bus stop in the area.

It was gathered that corpses of the occupants of the Camry car were recovered yesterday, but the Keke NAPEP operator and his passengers were yet to be found, though the tricycle had been recovered.

Mostly affected were the Onitsha Electronics International Market and Enamelware Market which are adjacent the Head Bridge-Upper Iweka expressway on the Okpoko end of the road where many warehouses were submerged.

Traders at the market were seen salvaging their goods washed away by the flood yesterday with some of them claiming that everything they had in their shops went with the flood.

The Public Relations Officer of the traders’ association, Mr. Innocent Ezemenari, said it was difficult to quantify the loss immediately, even as he said that it ran into millions of Naira.

According to him, most of the people affected were young traders who had just been settled by their masters, while others were those who got their goods on credit.

While calling on President Goodluck Jonathan, Governor Peter Obi and people of goodwill to come to their aid Ezemenari urged the Federal Ministry of Works to extend the drainage system along the Upper Iweka-Head Bridge axis to the River Niger to allow free flow of water during the rain.

The traders’ spokesman observed that if urgent measures were not taken, the entire market would be sacked when the rains become heavy.

He appealed to Anambra State government to speed up work on the on-going Sakamori drainage project which is costing the state and federal governments about N2 billion. [Vanguard]

Continue Reading
1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. urban decay naked palette 2

    May 27, 2013 at 10:19 am

    Urban Decay Naked Palette 2 is a stunning collection of taupe and beige eye shadows plus a few bonus extras!The long-awaited sequel to.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro News

Nigeria’s Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter

Published

on

Nigeria's Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter

Communications minister, Isa Pantami

Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Isa Ali Pantami, has announced the loss of his 13-year-old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali.

The Minister took to his Twitter account on Monday night to announce this sad news.

Pantami stated that the funeral prayer for the deceased will be conducted in Abuja on Tuesday at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2.

Also Read: Gunmen Evict NIDCOM Staff From Office On Minister’s Order

The post by the minister announcing the incident reads; “Inna lil Laahi wa inna ilaiHi Rajiun! My 13-year old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali (Amal) passed away just a moment ago.

“Due to some necessities, funeral prayer tomorrow at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2, immediately after Zuhr prayer In sha Allah. May Allah forgive and be merciful to her.”

 

Continue Reading

Metro News

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Published

on

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Governor Wike

Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State has imposed a 24-hour total curfew for two weeks on some parts of Port-Harcourt, the state capital.

The Governor made this known during a broadcast on Sunday where he noted that the curfew begins from Monday 23rd November 2020.

The statement noted that the upsurge noticed by the state government in cases of cult activities, other forms of violence, and killings is responsible for the curfew.

Also Read: Umahi Unhappy With PDP Because Atiku Picked Peter Obi – Wike

Wike in the statement declared that the entire area along and around the Okoro-nodu flyover up to a one-kilometre radius from Saint Emmanuel Anglican Church, Rumuokoro, extending to the Rumuodomaya Slaughter and Local Government daily market will be affected.

He added that no form of trading, human or vehicular movement is allowed in the affected areas until further notice.

Continue Reading

Metro News

Zamfara Governor Secures Release Of 11 Kidnapped Victims

Published

on

Zamfara Governor Secures Release Of 11 Kidnapped Victims

Bello Matawalle

Governor of Zamafara, Bello Matawalle has announced the release of 11 kidnapped victims.

According to reports, ten of the victims were male and a female from Bukkuyum Local Government Area.

Matawalle received the rescued kidnapped victims on Saturday night at the Government House in Gusau, the state capital.

The Commissioner of Security and Home Affairs, Abubakar Muhammed Dauran revealed that the victims were released without paying a ransom.

Also Read: Nigeria still needs SARS, Zamfara gov, Matawalle insists

He stated they were released as a result of the peace initiative and stakeholders meeting summoned by Governor Matawalle with all critical stakeholders from Bukkuyum Local Government Area on Thursday.

Governor Matawalle assured that his administration will not rest on its oars until total peace is achieved in all parts of the state.

 

Continue Reading

Trending