Connect with us

World news

24-year-old Saudi Man Gets ‘Paralysis’ Sentence For Crime Committed 10 Years Ago

Published

on

Saudi Arabia has been meting out punishment to persons convicted of crimes according to the strict Sharia law used in the monarchy. Human Rights association have been decrying how human lives have been wasted in the kingdom in the name of carrying out justice.

Despite Saudi’s insistence on carrying out sentences in the past, Human rights organisation Amnesty International on Tuesday appealed to Saudi Arabia not to carry out a reported sentence of paralysis for a man in retribution for allegedly paralysing another man 10 years ago.

Ali Al Khawahir, 24, was reportedly sentenced to Qisas, or retribution, in the Eastern Province town of Al Ahsa and could be paralysed from waist down if he fails to pay compensation of one million riyals (about N42m), the rights watchdog said, citing Saudi media reports.

Khawahir was said to have stabbed his friend in the back in 2003, rendering him paralysed from the waist down. He was 14 at the time.

“Paralysing someone as punishment for a crime would be torture,” said Ann Harrison, Middle East and North Africa deputy director at Amnesty.

“It is time the authorities in Saudi Arabia start respecting their international legal obligations and remove these terrible punishments from the law,” she said in a statement.

According to Amnesty, a similar sentence of paralysis was imposed in 2010 but the group said it was unknown if it had been carried out.

The ultra-conservative kingdom imposes several forms of corporal punishment attributed to Islamic Sharia law, ranging from flogging, to amputation and beheading. A national, Abdul Rahman Al Qah’tani was reportedly beheaded on Monday for shooting dead fellow Saudi Saleh Moutared following a dispute.

World news

JUST IN: ECOWAS Lifts Sanctions On Mali

Published

on

ECOWAS countries
ECOWAS Countries

ECOWAS Countries

(more…)

Continue Reading

World news

US President, Donald Trump, Wife Test Positive For Covid-19

Published

on

Donald Trump and Melania
Donald Trump and Melania

Donald Trump and wife, Melania Trump

President of the United States, Donald Trump, and his wife, Melania Trump have both tested positive for COVID-19.

The President took to his official Twitter handle on Friday to make this announcement.

Trump was last seen in public on Thursday afternoon, returning to the White House after a fundraising trip to New Jersey.

Also Read: What I Told Trump When He Accused Me Of Killing Christians – Buhari

On Thursday, he announced that his aide, Hope Hicks tested positive for the virus which has killed over 1 million people around the world.

He further revealed that he and the first lady had taken the test and waiting for the results before announcing the outcome on Friday.

 

Continue Reading

World news

Mali: N’Daw, Coup Leader Goita Sworn In As President, VP

Published

on

President of Mali, N'Daw, coup leader, Goita
President of Mali, N'Daw, coup leader, Goita

President of Mali, N’Daw, coup leader, Goita

Retired Army Colonel, Bah N’Daw has been sworn in on Friday as the interim president of Mali and he is to head a transitional government following last month’s military coup in the country.

The swearing-in ceremony held in the country’s capital city of Bamako, where Colonel Assimi Goita, who led the military junta, was also sworn in as interim vice president.

This administration is to lead the government for a maximum of 18 months before organising national elections.

Also Read: Buhari Attends Virtual ECOWAS Extraordinary Summit Over Mali Crisis

It will be recalled that the country’s military executed a coup last month (August 18) which successfully removed the nation’s president, Ibrahim Boubacar Keita from office.

Former President of Nigeria, Goodluck Jonathan, attended the ceremony alongside other members of the ECOWAS mediation team.

Continue Reading

Trending