Connect with us

Metro News

Presidential Pardon: US May Stop Aid To Nigeria

Published

on

us-nigeria-flag

The presidential pardon granted a former governor of Bayelsa State, Diepreye Alamieyeseigha and seven others may make Nigeria lose development aid from the United States of America.

Alamieyeseigha was found guilty and convicted of corruption, but he was pardoned last Tuesday by the National Council of State after a meeting in Abuja.

The US government has therefore expressed its disappointment and surprise that those convicted of corruption could be pardoned by the President Goodluck Jonathan’s administration, as it saw the move as a setback for Nigeria’s anti-corruption crusade.

The Hill, a US newspaper quoted the State Department spokeswoman, Victoria Nuland as saying, “The United States government is deeply disappointed over the recent pardons of corrupt officials by the Nigerian government.

Victoria Nuland

Victoria Nuland

“We see this as a setback for the fight against corruption and also for our ability to play the strong role we’ve played in supporting rule of law and legal institution building in Nigeria, which is very important for the future of the country, obviously.”

Nuland when asked if the US could cut off aid due to this development said it was possible, adding that the pardon put a dent on the collaborative efforts between Nigeria and the US in fight against corruption.

“We have made it clear to the Nigerians that this puts a question mark on the kinds of work that we’ve been trying to do with them.

“We haven’t yet taken the kinds of steps that you’re suggesting, but we’re continuing to look at what’s appropriate.”

Meanwhile, President Goodluck Jonathan’s aides have continued to defend the government’s action saying it was in order.

Speaking on a breakfast show ‘Sunrise Daily’ Saturday, on a local TV, Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Dr. Reuben Abati, said commentators’ views on the pardon smacked of ignorance.

“There has been a lot of ignorance about what has happened, and sophisticated ignorance. But I respect the fact that part of our responsibility is to explain to people.

“The first thing to note is what a state pardon is not. One, a state pardon does not mean that an individual was not convicted at a particular time; in fact state pardon means that you have been convicted for a particular crime and you have been punished.”

The comments coming from the presidency may well worsen matters, as the present administration has been criticised in the past as corruption-tolerant.

Reports have said the US ambassador has been invited by the President in a bid to discussing and clarifying issues on the pardon.

If the US decides to stop aids to Nigeria, the country will be losing millions of dollars meant for development. Nigeria is one of the biggest recipients of US aid in Africa. Last year the US gave Nigeria about $226m in development aid and is expected to spend $600m this year.

In all, Nigeria was slated to have received $660.5 million in the US 2012 budget, more than any other sub-Saharan country except Ethiopia.

Continue Reading
7 Comments

7 Comments

  1. Ovie1

    March 17, 2013 at 8:56 am

    Please, don’t be deceived by foreign aid donors, Their impact have never be felt by the masses. Rather, they use the aid money to buy expensive cars, bogus hotel accommodation and a palatable pay for their Citizens sent to execute micro projects of insignificant impact on well being of Nigeria. But Nigeria should not condone corruption, National Assemble should enact a law that make corruption cases to run for 6 months and decided.

  2. Robinson

    March 17, 2013 at 9:09 am

    i really support d pardon of sir Alamco.he is a man dat has stood for d strugle niger delta and he shud b regarded as such…but jonathan is deceiving us.he is a failure 2 us

  3. Young Albert

    March 17, 2013 at 9:47 am

    He made jonathan & d pardon is towards his winning 2015 presidential election…….As u can see 4 urselve,he is busy removing & replacing against 2015……..

  4. Tuodolo young

    March 17, 2013 at 10:51 am

    Nig is not still ready 4 self development. Let our leaders study de U.S history & take lessons frm it. What has all, this foriegn Aids has don 4 us? as Nigerians. Or is there something dat our leaders are hiding frm us. I mean let them go to hell if dey(U.S) care. At list let 4 once be bold of our actions, as a govt.

  5. cj

    March 17, 2013 at 1:03 pm

    GEJ has earned my disgust with his clear lack of interest in tackling the rampant corruption in Nigeria. How does the fool think he can bring about progress without reducing the mortal ailment called corruption? He will certainly not be reelected come 2015 because he has had zero impact so far. Meanwhile, the U.S can swallow its useless aid because it is politically motivated and of insignificant impact to Nigeria. They use these meaningless aid monies to excersize influence on hapless nations such as Nigeria.

  6. winnie

    March 17, 2013 at 3:32 pm

    Earn Instant $4.83 In your Liberty reserve Thru Currency Exchange
    Exchange earnings

    for more Details, visit: earnextracashfromhome . bravesites . com

  7. ola4gud

    March 18, 2013 at 12:12 am

    Who beg dem 4 aid..dey re jst fooling us wit dat..let dem go 2 hell wit dere money after is our money giv back 2 us..part of money pple lik Alam took always..

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro News

Nigeria Ranks Third On Global Terrorism Index Despite Drop In Deaths – Report

Published

on

Nigeria Ranks Third On Global Terrorism Index Despite Drop In Deaths – Report

Boko Haram

Nigeria has been ranked as the third most terrorized country in the world according to a 2020 report by the Global Terrorism Index (GTI).

The report which was released on Wednesday, ranked Nigeria third only behind war-torn countries of Afghanistan and Iraq.

According to the GTI report, Nigeria witnessed an increase in Boko Haram attacks in the period under review, witnessing her worst terrorist attack in 2019 in northeastern Borno State, where at least 70 people were killed and 10 others wounded when insurgents attacked at a funeral.

Also Read: Presidency Clears Air On N150,000 Monthly Payment To Repentant Boko Haram Members

“Over the past year, Boko Haram increased attacks on military targets, with deaths rising from 26 in 2018 to 148 in 2019,” the report said.

However, the report recognized that terror-related incidents in the country fell by 27% in the same period due to a significant reduction in violence attributed to killer herdsmen.

“This reduction occurred despite a small increase in deaths attributed to Boko Haram, which has been the most active terrorist group in the country over the past decade. Deaths from terrorism in Nigeria are now 83 percent lower than at
their peak in 2014.”

 

Continue Reading

Metro News

Nigeria’s Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter

Published

on

Nigeria's Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter

Communications minister, Isa Pantami

Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Isa Ali Pantami, has announced the loss of his 13-year-old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali.

The Minister took to his Twitter account on Monday night to announce this sad news.

Pantami stated that the funeral prayer for the deceased will be conducted in Abuja on Tuesday at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2.

Also Read: Gunmen Evict NIDCOM Staff From Office On Minister’s Order

The post by the minister announcing the incident reads; “Inna lil Laahi wa inna ilaiHi Rajiun! My 13-year old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali (Amal) passed away just a moment ago.

“Due to some necessities, funeral prayer tomorrow at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2, immediately after Zuhr prayer In sha Allah. May Allah forgive and be merciful to her.”

 

Continue Reading

Metro News

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Published

on

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Governor Wike

Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State has imposed a 24-hour total curfew for two weeks on some parts of Port-Harcourt, the state capital.

The Governor made this known during a broadcast on Sunday where he noted that the curfew begins from Monday 23rd November 2020.

The statement noted that the upsurge noticed by the state government in cases of cult activities, other forms of violence, and killings is responsible for the curfew.

Also Read: Umahi Unhappy With PDP Because Atiku Picked Peter Obi – Wike

Wike in the statement declared that the entire area along and around the Okoro-nodu flyover up to a one-kilometre radius from Saint Emmanuel Anglican Church, Rumuokoro, extending to the Rumuodomaya Slaughter and Local Government daily market will be affected.

He added that no form of trading, human or vehicular movement is allowed in the affected areas until further notice.

Continue Reading

Trending