Policeman Electrocuted Trying To Rescue Boy Trapped By PHCN Cable

PHCN

Sunday Joseph, a police officer was on Sunday electrocuted at a police barracks opposite the Ogun State Government House, Abeokuta, while trying to rescue a 17-year-old boy earlier trapped by a Power Holding Company high-tension cable.

The boy identified as Moses also died from electrocution in the incident which occurred at one of the road – expansion construction sites in the Isale Igbein area of the state. The boy’s corpse and that of the police officer had since been deposited at the morgue of the state Hospital, Ijaye.

According to eyewitnesses, the teenager was looking through rubbles being used by a construction company to fill a ditch when he stepped on a PHCN live cable.

“Moses, whose father was one of the police officers killed recently by armed robbers in Abeokuta, was about leaving the construction site when one of the iron rods he had salvaged from the rubble touched the high tension electricity cable and was electrocuted,” one of the witnesses said.

Joseph, who became Moses’ guardian since the death of his father rushed towards the body of the teenager whose body was still filled with electric current, as he arrived the scene after being contacted by people in the area.

The police officer, who drove to the construction site in a Volkswagen Golf car with number plate Lagos FB 359 APP, was oblivious of efforts to stop him as he went for Moses’ lifeless body, and was immediately trapped by the same live PHCN cable and left gasping for breath for a few seconds before he died.

An official of the Bureau of Electrical Engineering Services, who pleaded anonymity, disclosed that PHCN knew of the danger the high-tension posed in the area, but the line was not switched off because a top PHCN official was having a party in Abeokuta.

The official added that the refusal of the PHCN to switch off the high tension line serving the area also made it impossible for the technicians of the bureau to carry out their normal duty on Sunday.

Richard Oyewole, PHCN Public Affairs Manager in charge of Ijeun and Olumo Districts of Abeokuta, however denied negligence by the PHCN, but assured that an investigation would be launched into the incident.

“I have contacted some of our field officers, and like you are aware, yesterday was Sunday and normally if the Construction Companies are to work in any area, they will request outage but as we speak, yesterday being Sunday, there was no outage permit granted by our company.

“We are still making investigations and we are going to make announcement later on the issue,” Oyewole said.

In his reaction, Public Relations Officer of Ogun State Police department, Muyiwa Adejobi, described the incident as saddening.

“It is saddening. The commissioner of police commiserates with the affected families and we pray such an incident does not occur again.”

6 COMMENTS

  1. Earn Instant $4.83 In your Liberty reserve Thru Currency Exchange
    Exchange earnings

    for more Details, visit: www . earnextracashfromhome . bravesites . com

  2. PHCN big shame on you people!! If were in a country where conscience rules,someone would have willing resigned his appointment and take full responsibility for this gruesome MURDER of Innocent Citizens.Once again I say, Shame on you people

  3. PHCN big shame on you people!! If it were in a country where conscience rules,someone would have willing resigned his appointment and take full responsibility for this gruesome MURDER of Innocent Citizens.Once again I say, Shame on you people for you nonchalance and incompetence.

  4. PHCN big shame on you people!! If it were in a country where conscience rules,someone would have willingly resigned his appointment and taken full responsibility for this gruesome MURDER of Innocent Citizens.Once again I say, Shame on you people for you nonchalance and incompetence.

  5. **What to do if you believe someone has had, or is getting an electric shock**

    It may not be immediately clear that someone is getting an electric shock because smoke won’t be pouring from their ears or any other openings whatsoever. If you think someone is suffering from electric shock, please approach with extreme caution.

    The first step is to separate the person from the source of electricity as quickly as possibly. The best way of doing this is to turn off the supply, for example by unplugging the appliance or by turning the mains off at the fusebox (consumer unit).

    If this isn’t possible, then try to remove the source of electricity from the person using a piece of insulating material, such as a length of wood.

    NEVER touch the person receiving the electric shock, or you could suffer one too.

    After removing the person from the source of electricity, if the person is unconscious call for an ambulance immediately. Only those with the necessary knowledge and skill should carry out first aid.

    Where the person is conscious and seems well, it is still advisable to monitor their condition, as the effects of an electric shock may not be immediately obvious. In worst case conditions, an electric shock may lead to a condition known as electroporation, where cells within the body rupture, leading to tissue death. Additional problems might include deep-seated burns, muscle damage and broken bones. So,it is advisable that such victim should be immediately helped medically.

    Safety is never a study……But rather a way of life….

    Be Safe Today & Always….

    Safety Rules! Safety Saves!!Safety Pays!!!

    Gbolahan Ogunmefun
    Secretary Nigerian Institute of Safety Professionals (NISP)
    Motto: “In The Service of Man”

  6. **What to do if you believe someone has had, or is getting an electric shock**

    It may not be immediately clear that someone is getting an electric shock because smoke won’t be pouring from their ears or any other openings whatsoever. If you think someone is suffering from electric shock, please approach with extreme caution.

    The first step is to separate the person from the source of electricity as quickly as possibly. The best way of doing this is to turn off the supply, for example by unplugging the appliance or by turning the mains off at the fusebox (consumer unit).

    If this isn’t possible, then try to remove the source of electricity from the person using a piece of insulating material, such as a length of wood.

    NEVER touch the person receiving the electric shock, or you could suffer one too.

    After removing the person from the source of electricity, if the person is unconscious call for an ambulance immediately. Only those with the necessary knowledge and skill should carry out first aid.

    Where the person is conscious and seems well, it is still advisable to monitor their condition, as the effects of an electric shock may not be immediately obvious. In worst case conditions, an electric shock may lead to a condition known as electroporation, where cells within the body rupture, leading to tissue death. Additional problems might include deep-seated burns, muscle damage and broken bones. So,it is advisable that such victim should be immediately helped medically.

    Safety is never a study……But rather a way of life….

    Be Safe Today & Always….

    Safety Rules! Safety Saves!!Safety Pays!!!

    Gbolahan Ogunmefun (MNISP).
    Ogun State Secretary, Nigerian Institute of Safety Professionals, (NISP).
    Motto: “In The Service of Man”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here