Connect with us

Metro News

Kano Killing: CAN, Police In War Of Words Over Actual Death Toll

Published

on

police-logo1-300x336Kano State Police command and the state chapter of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) yesterday engaged in war of words over the actual number of factory workers killed over 10 days ago by unknown gunmen at Shekar Maidaki in Kumbotso local government area of the state.

While Kano State CAN chairman, Bishop Ransome Bello was quoted by a large section of the media on Thursday as saying 13 people had been killed in the attack, the state police command said only eight persons was confirmed killed in the attack.

It would be recalled that on Saturday, February 23, 2013, some gunmen drove to the area in a cab around 7pm when the Muslim prayer was held and demanded to know why the men were not about joining other Muslim faithful to say their prayer. Upon responding that they are Christians and so couldn’t have joined the prayers, the gunmen reportedly separated the men from women and children, before killing them.

But in a reaction to the killing at a morning press conference yesterday the state commissioner of police, Alhaji Musa Daura, said the command had received “distress call” on at about 2200hrs on the said date that “unknown gunmen [have] attacked and killed innocent people in Shekar-Maidaki in the suburb of Kumbotso local government area.”

He said, following the incident, the command immediately deployed armed security men to the scene to arrest of the perpetrators of the attack, before they escaped.

“The security agents discovered eight people were killed and a reasonable number of people were arrested and brought to the station for investigation. The command will make it public, the outcome of the investigation,” he said.

However, in a swift reaction to the figure released by the police, Bishop Bello, reiterated his earlier stance that 13 people were killed.

Continue Reading
3 Comments

3 Comments

  1. Seyi

    March 8, 2013 at 5:40 pm

    Our president may not want to hear that one soldier dies but it’s no news if some civiliance die. In my humble opinion, the untimely death of any Nigerian should be of great concern to our president.

  2. Reuben Peter

    March 8, 2013 at 7:42 pm

    God is the ultimate judge. Those who kill by the gun will surely die by the gun. God is above watchn. They will die someday too.oneday is oneday this people will c for themselves our reaction

  3. Osagiede Felixilling N

    March 8, 2013 at 7:49 pm

    Why All This Killing Now:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro News

Nigeria’s Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter

Published

on

Nigeria's Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter

Communications minister, Isa Pantami

Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Isa Ali Pantami, has announced the loss of his 13-year-old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali.

The Minister took to his Twitter account on Monday night to announce this sad news.

Pantami stated that the funeral prayer for the deceased will be conducted in Abuja on Tuesday at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2.

Also Read: Gunmen Evict NIDCOM Staff From Office On Minister’s Order

The post by the minister announcing the incident reads; “Inna lil Laahi wa inna ilaiHi Rajiun! My 13-year old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali (Amal) passed away just a moment ago.

“Due to some necessities, funeral prayer tomorrow at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2, immediately after Zuhr prayer In sha Allah. May Allah forgive and be merciful to her.”

 

Continue Reading

Metro News

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Published

on

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Governor Wike

Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State has imposed a 24-hour total curfew for two weeks on some parts of Port-Harcourt, the state capital.

The Governor made this known during a broadcast on Sunday where he noted that the curfew begins from Monday 23rd November 2020.

The statement noted that the upsurge noticed by the state government in cases of cult activities, other forms of violence, and killings is responsible for the curfew.

Also Read: Umahi Unhappy With PDP Because Atiku Picked Peter Obi – Wike

Wike in the statement declared that the entire area along and around the Okoro-nodu flyover up to a one-kilometre radius from Saint Emmanuel Anglican Church, Rumuokoro, extending to the Rumuodomaya Slaughter and Local Government daily market will be affected.

He added that no form of trading, human or vehicular movement is allowed in the affected areas until further notice.

Continue Reading

Metro News

Zamfara Governor Secures Release Of 11 Kidnapped Victims

Published

on

Zamfara Governor Secures Release Of 11 Kidnapped Victims

Bello Matawalle

Governor of Zamafara, Bello Matawalle has announced the release of 11 kidnapped victims.

According to reports, ten of the victims were male and a female from Bukkuyum Local Government Area.

Matawalle received the rescued kidnapped victims on Saturday night at the Government House in Gusau, the state capital.

The Commissioner of Security and Home Affairs, Abubakar Muhammed Dauran revealed that the victims were released without paying a ransom.

Also Read: Nigeria still needs SARS, Zamfara gov, Matawalle insists

He stated they were released as a result of the peace initiative and stakeholders meeting summoned by Governor Matawalle with all critical stakeholders from Bukkuyum Local Government Area on Thursday.

Governor Matawalle assured that his administration will not rest on its oars until total peace is achieved in all parts of the state.

 

Continue Reading

Trending