Eat your way to a better IQ with these brain-boosting foods
Got a big exam coming up, a difficult problem to solve, or just fancy adding a few points to your IQ? Then try adding these foods to your shopping basket to give your brain a boost.
Brain boosting food 1: Oily fish
If you struggle to remember what day it is or what you had for dinner an hour ago, consider stocking up on the ultimate brain food, oily fish. Omega-3 fatty acids – found in oily fish such as salmon, mackerel and sardines – are invaluable for just about every part of our body, and it seems our brains are no different. Researchers from the University of Kuopio in Finland found that eating oily fish three times a week reduces the risk of brain problems by 26 per cent and prevents against memory loss.
Brain boosting food 2: Dark, leafy greens
Dark, leafy greens such as spinach, kale and broccoli are packed with antioxidants, including vitamin C and beta-carotene, which are essential to keep your body and brain in good health. They are also a good source of folate, which can help to speed up information processing and memory recall. Research results published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition also indicated that the folate found in leafy green vegetables can help to protect against cognitive decline in old age.
Brain boosting food 3: Eggs
Egg yolks are nutritional powerhouses packed with many vitamins and minerals essential for good brain function. This cheap and versatile ingredient is a good source of iron, which is essential for creating red blood cells which carry oxygen to the brain, helping to keep your mental faculties sharp and to keep you alert and focused. Eggs are also a good source of vitamin B12 – a deficiency of which can lead to memory loss and confusion – and iodine, which has been shown to improve problem-solving abilities even in only mildly deficient children.
Brain boosting food 4: Green tea
As your brain is made up of around 80 per cent water, keeping it properly hydrated is vital for helping it to function at optimum levels. However, if you’re not a fan of regular water, swapping it for a cup of green tea could have added benefits for your brain. A Korean study has found that green tea can help to increase mental alertness and enhance your memory. Researchers have also found that the antioxidants found in green tea can help to protect the brain and reduce risk of dementia.
Brain boosting food 5: Chocolate
No, it’s not just wishful thinking – chocolate really is good for you! While chomping on bars of milk chocolate is unlikely to improve your IQ score, dark chocolate is rich in brain-boosting chemicals, called flavonoids, which can enhance your cognitive skills. Research has found that flavonoids induce the creation of new neurons in the brain and also improve their ability to form new memories. Studies also show that flavonoids improve blood flow to the brain. One study of adult women found that when given flavonoid-rich chocolate drinks, the blood flow to participants’ brains increased within two hours and they performed better on a complex mental task
Avoid These Nigerians Food To Burn Stubborn Belly Fat (Video)
Being overweight or obese can be detrimental to your health. It is not advisable to have excess fat in the abdominal cavity because it can lead to some health issues. Getting your dream body will not be easy and you need to make some sacrifices to your diet. You will also need to turn a blind eye to some fatty foods.
If you’re ready to get rid of the belly fat, then stay put as Information Nigeria brings you some important tips that will help.
1. Avoid sugar and carbonated drinks
Did you know that consuming sugary substances like coke, fanta can lead to weight gain and a number of health problems like high blood pressure?. This is due to the high fructose content found in added sugars. Taking sugar-filled drinks may slow your metabolism and this in turn can make it harder for your body to burn fat. Fructose can only be metabolized by your liver. When you consume too much, you push your liver to its limit and it becomes overloaded, then it turns the fructose into fat and it ends up getting stored in your belly. To avoid putting yourself from risk, you should cut back on foods and drinks that contain huge amounts of sugar.
2. You also have to forgo junk foods like meat pie, cakes, rolls, candies, burgers, ice cream and cookies. You also need to do away with heavy foods like eba, akpu, pounded yam, rice among others. Switch up your eating habits and opt for a more balanced-diet if you want to burn your belly fat. Avoid consuming refined carbs like bread, pizza, potation chips etc. You should also stay away from processed and heavy foods because they contribute to stubborn belly fat. You should choose to eat proteinous foods like fish, eggs, and milk. starch contains fat, sugar and salt. They help a person feel fuller so you don’t end up looking for something to munch on after eating. It basically keeps hunger at bay.
3. Eat the right amount of fruits, vegetables, fibrous foods and whole grains – You can add vegetables, fruits and whole grains to your weight loss diet. They provide essential vitamins, minerals, fiber and other substances that are good for your body. Examples of fibre rich foods include; beans, broccoli, avocados, apples, oatmeal brown rice and whole grain bread.
4. Try to incorporate exercise into your daily or weekly routine – Exercise helps to speed up your metabolism and helps you shed weight. The bitter truth is that wearing just waist trainers and staying put in one position will not make you lose that stubborn belly fat. You should hit the gym.
5 Reduce alcohol intake – Excess intake of alcohol also leads to a host of health problems especially the build-up of fat in the belly area. Have you ever noticed that those who drink alcohol, especially men, often develop ‘pot-bellies’. Alcoholic drinks like beer provide your body with calories and very little nutrients. It can also increase your appetite. Replace the alcoholic drinks with water or alternate with low calorie, non-alcoholic beverages. Too much alcohol can cause liver damage and other serious health problems.
6. Try out apple cider vinegar – Apple cider vinegar is made in a two-step fermentation process. It is obtained from apples that have been crushed, distilled and fermented. Acetic acid is the main active component of apple cider vinegar. It is safe for consumption in small quantities and can be taken as a supplement. Do not also consume it straight from the bottle or in its pure form. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons to water before you drink. You can also add honey or lemon. It is best to drink it before your meals. Research shows it has many health benefits, such as lowering blood sugar levels.
Governor Bello Recovers From COVID-19 — After One Week In Isolation
Niger State Governor, Abubakar Bello, has tested negative for Coronavirus following the repeat of tests for the virus.
The development was disclosed in a statement released by his Chief Press Secretary, Mrs. Mary Noel-Berje, in Minna on Monday.
Gov. Bello had on Nov. 9, disclosed that he tested positive for COVID-19 on his Twitter account and thereafter went into isolation.
Noel-Berje in the statement noted that the Governor has been declared free of the virus and can now resume back to his official duties.
Bello joins the list of governors who have been infected with the coronavirus.
Other governors who have recovered from COVID-19 include Bala Mohammed of Bauchi, Seyi Makinde of Oyo, Okezie Ikpeazu of Abia, Nasir el-Rufai of Kaduna, Kayode Fayemi of Ekiti, and Ifeanyi Okowa of Delta.
Here Is A List Of Nigerian Foods That Cause Miscarriage
Pregnant women should avoid some common Nigerian foods that can cause miscarriage. These foods are beneficial to human beings, but they should not be eaten during – especially in the first three months – pregnancy because of some of their properties that can cause miscarriage.
Although Crabs are not poisonous, they shrink the uterus which could cause bleeding from the genitals and an eventual miscarriage.
This is not for pregnant women in their first trimester. This is because pineapple can cause contractions at such an early stage and this may finally lead to a miscarriage. The popular fruit also contains bromelain which works in softening the cervix. It also causes bleeding.
This is another popular fruit that can cause a miscarriage in the first trimester of pregnancy. The pawpaw seeds have enzymes that cause contractions which ultimately leads to a miscarriage.
- Uncooked eggs
This can also cause a miscarriage. As a pregnant woman, you should avoid eating uncooked eggs or mayonnaise which contains uncooked eggs in your first trimester. If you must eat eggs, make sure they are properly cooked with the egg yolk very solid before eating.
This is another food that can cause a miscarriage. Eating garlic will result in a stimulation of the uterus which may lead to contractions and pre-term labor that causes miscarriage.
- Entertainment22 hours ago
BBNaija’s Kiddwaya, Erica Arrive In Sierra Leone; Susan Waya Asks Fans To Pray For Them
- National News22 hours ago
Shehu Sani Reacts To Hisbah’s Call For Scrapping Of Black Friday
- News Feed21 hours ago
Residents troop out after huge crocodile was killed in Anambra
- Entertainment7 hours ago
Alleged Abortion: ‘I Am Not A Murderer’ – Ultimate Love Star, Rosie Says In Touching Video
- News Feed21 hours ago
Cleric Warns Bobrisky, Reveals When He Will Die (Video)
- Entertainment6 hours ago
Tiwa Savage’s ‘Celia’ Makes Time’s 10 Best Albums Of 2020
- News Feed21 hours ago
”Somebody Somewhere Is Depending On You To Do What God Has Called You To Do”-Naira Marley
- News Feed21 hours ago
Dead Man Made To Sit On A Chair At His Own Funeral (Photos + Video)