Aside from her chart success and all-round global domination, there has been swearing, drugs and nudity, not to mention a reunion with a certain abusive ex-boyfriend.
So, as Rihanna blows out the candles on her ‘Birthday Cake’, we’re celebrating by charting her 25 most controversial moments…
Happy birthday, RiRi!
1. RiRi hit back at fans who dared to question what the suspicious white powder on top of the man’s head was in a photo she posted at Coachella Festival, labelling them ‘pathetic c*nts’. Nice.
2. While there isn’t hardly an inch of Rihanna’s skin we haven’t seen before, we were still shocked when she stripped completely naked for GQ in 2012.
3. Rihanna used to love the c-word, and would wear it emblazoned on necklaces and t-shirts, that was until she was shocked to discover the word was actually offensive.
4. As RiRi hit a strip club with her pals in 2012, she was seen throwing dollar bills at the performers. She tweeted: “#ROCstarshit my daddy would be proud”. Yep, bet he was beaming.
5. When Rihanna appeared on ‘The X Factor’ final in 2010 along with Christina Aguilera, their raunchy performances racked up over 1,000 complaints to media regulator Ofcom. It led to a ruling stars would have to cover up to appear on TV before the 9pm watershed.
6. Rihanna was seen brazenly smoking a suspicious looking cigarette whilst holidaying in Hawaii in 2012. She even tweeted: “Kush rolled, glass full…I prefer the better things!” – and for those of you not down with drug lingo (unlike Rihanna), ‘kush’ is a type of marijuana from the Middle East.
7. “Come here rude boy, boy can you get it up?” sings Rihanna on her 2010 hit ‘Rude Boy’. Such a good role model.
8. Rihanna had us all worried when she tweeted a picture of herself hooked up to a drip and then went quiet. While everyone speculated she had been rushed to hospital, suffering from exhaustion, others said she was receiving an intravenous vitamin boost, popular with many popstars.
9. Rihanna and Chris Brown teamed up to record ‘Birthday Cake’ for her sixth album ‘Talk That Talk’ in 2011, giving us the first sign they were back in contact after he beat her in 2009.
10. Rihanna dresses as a weed fairy for a Halloween party in Hollywood in 2012. Whatever happened to plain old Frankenstein, eh?
11. While most of the male population may love RiRi getting naked, one person who didn’t was farmer Alderman Alan Graham. After she froliced around topless while on his farm to film the video to ‘We Found Love’ in 2010, he insisted the star cover up or get off his land.
12. This was the scene of a New York nightclub in June 2012 after a brawl erupted between Chris Brown and Drake, allegedly over Rihanna.
13. The world was aghast when Rihanna confessed she was still in love with ex Chris Brown during a tearful interview with Oprah Winfrey in 2012.
14. Rihanna unveiled a shocking new addition to her body art in 2009 – a tattoo of a gun on the side of her rib cage.
15. Rihanna singing about ‘chains and whips’, whilst provocatively sucking on her finger. Her video for 201 hit ‘S&M’ was RiRi at her saucy pop best.
16. In what was to become the biggest PR disaster ever, Rihanna invited a bunch of journalists and fans to fly around the world with her as she plays seven gigs in seven countries in seven days. The result was far from a party in the sky, with the journos comparing it to prison as RiRi refused them access to her, and only made two brief appearances during the whole week.
17. Amid rumours they were more than just friends again, Rihanna planted a smacker on ex Chris Brown at 2012’s MTV VMAs, leaving viewers gobsmacked.
18. Rihanna was at the centre of a race row when she picture of a bag of rice cakes wearing sunglasses and a pair of earrings alongside the caption: “Ima a make u my b****”. Later in 2012, her best friend used the term (which is a slur against people from Asia) to insult Chris Brown’s ex Karrueche Tran, who is part Asian.
19. She may have appeared as a guest at the Victoria’s Secret Show in 2012, but RiRi saved her sauciest antics for after the show when she tweeted a snap of herself in a state of undress.
20. Rihanna has never made any secret of her fondness for a bit of the green stuff and told fans she ‘didn’t really give a f*ck’ what they thought when she tweeted a picture of a nug of weed in 2012. Charming.
21. After months of speculation, Rihanna finally confirmed she was back wither her abusive ex Chris Brown in an interview with Rolling Stone magazine in January 2013.
22. RiRi was branded a ‘desperate freak’ by PETA in 2012 when she stepped out wearing snakeskin boots. “Rihanna may not have a clue that snakes killed for boots are often nailed to a tree and skinned alive. Of course, they can’t go on Oprah to cry about it,” they said. Ouch.
23. Rihanna seemed to enjoy riding on a rather suggestive looking pink tank during Last Girl On Earth tour in 2010 a little too much, if you ask us.
24. Rihanna was criticised for a shaky performance at a Swedish music festival in 2012 after she arrived 45 minutes late on stage, seemed disorientated and was accused of miming. It followed the death of her beloved GranGran Dolly days earlier.
25. Errr, yes Rihanna, we can see your nipples. And your underwear.
‘Many Countries Became Developed With The Strengths Of Their Youth’ – Tonto Dikeh
Nigerian actress and entrepreneur, Tonto Dikeh, took to her Twitter page on Wednesday evening to reveal how many countries became developed over time. The Federal Government recent appointee credits their development to the strengths and potential of their youth.
The movie star shared a portrait photo of herself and captioned it thus:
“MANY COUNTRIES BECAME DEVELOPED WITH THE STRENGTHS & POTENTIALS OF THEIR YOUTH.”
Information Nigeria recalls the 35-year-old Port Harcourt-born humanitarian was criticized by Nigerians on social media for her silence on the trending #EndSARS movement.
She eventually responded with fury and a vow to sue a blogger who published a report about her saying that she was silent because of her affiliations with the government.
See her Twitter post below:
‘SARS Are Still Harassing People On The Streets’ – Actress Kemi Lala Akindoju
Nigerian actress, Kemi Lala Akindoju, is frustrated over the fact that the Special Anti Robbery Squad (SARS) officers have not stopped harassing people on the streets.
The movie star took to her Twitter page to lament about the fact that it seems Nigerians are helpless regarding SARS and police brutality.
In her words:
“Meanwhile we still have SARS officers harassing people on the streets of Nigeria. What are we REALLY going to do???? #EndSARS”
Reacting to the video of Desmond Elliot proposing the regulation of social media, she writes:
“This ‘respect’ mentality has really done a number on us in Nigeria. Hon Desmond is more concerned about ‘children’ cursing on social media than he is about better governance and true leadership. Again he has shown us his priorities”
See her tweets below:
‘It Is Both A Blessing And A Curse To Be Very Good Looking’ – Korede Bello
Nigerian singer, Korede Bello, has stated that it is both a blessing and a curse to be very good looking. The Afro pop star shared this via his official Twitter page.
According to the Mavin Records artist, it can be a curse because people tend to get distracted by the person’s good looks. Also, the good looking person faces the risk of being seen as incapable or incompetent because of their aesthetics.
In his words:
“Unpopular opinion. I think it can be a blessing and a curse to be very good looking. Having good looks is def an added advantage but unfortunately we tend to get distracted and prioritize aesthetics over ability. The external will fade, the internal will grow”
See his tweet below:
- Lifestyle14 hours ago
‘I Tested Positive To HIV After Gang Raped By 3 Men – Chef Ayomide
- Politics12 hours ago
Ganduje Reinstates Suspended Aide Who Attacked President Buhari
- News Feed22 hours ago
Kunle Afolayan flaunts interior of his exquisite mansion (Photos)
- News Feed22 hours ago
Lekki tollgate should be dismantled permanently: Bode George
- Education12 hours ago
BREAKING: Public, Private Schools Can Reopen Monday – Lagos Govt
- News Feed22 hours ago
Nigeria Air Force arrest officers for flogging curfew violators in Osun
- Sports10 hours ago
The potential for iGaming in Nigeria uncovered
- Entertainment11 hours ago
Toke Makinwa Tests Positive For COVID-19; Shares Her Experience