Connect with us

General News

About 200 Nigerians suffer occupational hazards daily, while 50 Million are at risk – Expert

Published

on

occhazardThe administration of President Goodluck Jonathan is set to put a halt to the disturbing trend of non-compensation of employees involved in work-place accidents. Already, the Nigeria Social Insurance Trust Fund (NSITF) has concluded plans to implement Employee Compensation Scheme (ECS) across the country.

According to the chairperson of the board of NSITF, Dr Ngozi Olejeme, while speaking in Abuja at the weekend, through the ECS, NSITF was involved in compensation management for Nigerian workers. She said that everything possible was being done to guarantee a workable social insurance programme for all categories of workers.

Olejeme also pointed out that a joint committee, whose membership comprises Nigeria Employers Consultative Association (NECA) and NSITF officials, had been constituted to effect the social welfare scheme for the workers. The eight-man committee would also carry out regular auditing of Occupational Safety and Health (OSH) infrastructure, structure and personnel in contributing companies and would examine the extent of compliance with OSH standards across the country.

Her words: “Some Occupational Safety and Health (OSH) experts believe about 50 million Nigerians are at risk in the work place. The International Institute of Risk and Safety Management, Nigeria’s chapter, for instance, also says 200 workplace fatalities occur daily in Nigeria. Scores of others are injured or permanently disabled. What used to get the government worried, if the incidents ever filtered out to the media, was the poor compensation plan or lack of one by the employers.”

“When OSH becomes much effective, the employer will benefit, the employee will benefit and government will also benefit. So it is social security initiative for the society, ultimately no one will be left untouched… Category of injuries covered under the scheme includes injury within a normal workplace. In circumstances like this, compensation is payable to a worker who suffers any disabling injury arising out of or in the course of employment… We are following global best practices. Nigerians will enjoy the dividends of democracy. Studies are being conducted throughout Nigeria to capture the social needs of those outside the formal sector,” she added.

Continue Reading
2 Comments

2 Comments

  1. MJ ADENIYI

    September 26, 2016 at 2:58 pm

    Occupation related hazards is really a trending challenge in our society. It has multifactorial causes. People’s attitude towards their environment and health in particularly may prove a bit difficult to correct. Nigeria is not a homogenous country but hetergenous. For example, because of high illiteracy in northern region, people dont see a dirty environment as a major threat. Whereas in the southern area,you can be proud of high compliance of people to environmental safety ethics. The problem is not illiteracy per se but not wanting to be education due to islamic excuses. Another blog is inconsistency of government policies towards safe environment. Other causes are poverty, inequality, corruption, nepotism, ethnicity, and religion differences.

    • MJ ADENIYI MSC

      November 18, 2016 at 3:17 pm

      Actually, the report doesn’t catch some of us aware. We even thought the figure will be more. Nigeria is currently too big beyond exemplification. And for a country with such reputation, I don’t think sanitary measures can be practicable to all a sundry. Even, the sane in the country hardly deploys sanitary precautions let alone of the largely insane sane you see around.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Education

Why We Haven’t Called Off Strike –ASUU

Published

on

Why We Haven’t Called Off Strike –ASUU

ASUU Chairman, Professor Biodun Ogunyemi

The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), says the ongoing ASUU strike will only be called off when the government is ready to conduct an integrity test on the University Transparency and Accountability Solution (UTAS).

In an interview with The PUNCH, Prof. Biodun Ogunyemi, ASUU President, said the federal government needed to give the clearance to National Information Technology Development Agency to conduct an integrity test on UTAS.

Speaking with PUNCH, the ASUU President said: “The integrity test will be handled by NITDA, it is government that will facilitate it because NITDA is a government, agency and unless you get clearance from the government that test cannot be conducted.”

Also Read: ASUU strike is boosting #EndSARS protest — Chris Ngige

Professor Ogunyemi while speaking on whether the government had accepted UTAS, said, “We are still talking, we have given them the position of our members, we are thinking we should be able to hold a meeting this week if they have not changed plans. The meeting for Monday was postponed. In principle, they have accepted UTAS and told us to go for the test, and on our part, we have started the process.

Speaking further, the ASUU President also explained that ASUU was ready to resume academic activities if the government was ready to play its part.

“Our members are ready to resume work as early as government is ready to play its part. I’m sure you are not suggesting that our members should resume on empty stomach or the strike should be suspended without any concrete action on the side of the government. We don’t like to stay away from our work because we like our students, they are also our children.

“As far as we are concerned, we don’t have issue with going back to work, but we want more sincerity on the side of government. We have not seen enough reasons to believe that they don’t mean what they are telling us but as soon as we see any sign to that effect. we will tell Nigerians,” Ogunyemi opined.

 

Continue Reading

Education

NECO Postpones 2020 Exams Indefinitely

Published

on

NECO Postpones 2020 Exams Indefinitely
NECO Postpones 2020 Exams Indefinitely

NECO

The National Examinations Council (NECO) on Sunday announced the suspension of the ongoing Senior Secondary Schools Certificate Examinations (SSCE) indefinitely.

This was made known in a statement by NECO’s Head, Information and Public Relations Division, Azeez Sani.

Also Read: #EndSARS: Enugu Govt Adjusts 24-Hour Curfew

The examination body explained that the action was taken due to the closure of schools and the curfew imposed by some state governors to safeguard lives occasioned by the #EndSARS protests.

“Arising from that meeting, the Governing Board resolved that the 2020 SSCE (Internal) be postponed indefinitely in view of the current security challenges, occasioned by the #ENDSARS protests, which disrupted the smooth conduct of the examinations in some parts of the country,” the statement partly read.

Continue Reading

Education

#EndSARS Protest: Sanwo-Olu Orders Closure Of Schools In Lagos

Published

on

Sanwo-Olu Extends Lagos Curfew By 72 hours
#EndSARS Protest: Sanwo-Olu Orders Closure Of Schools In Lagos

Babajide Sanwo-Olu

The Lagos State Government led by Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu has ordered the closure of public and private schools indefinitely in the state.

The closure of schools in Lagos was announced in a press statement on Monday by the state’s Head of Public Affairs, Ministry of Education, Kayode Abayomi.

Also Read: #EndSARS protesters break into Lagos International Airport (Videos)

The statement which was titled, ‘Lagos directs students to stay at home’, quoted Mrs. Folasade Adefisayo, the Commissioner for Education, as saying that the schools were shut down over “tension generated by the anti-SARS protests.”

This is coming at a time #EndSARS protests against police brutality and bad governance by Nigerian youths grounded academic activities in some schools in the state on Monday.

“A new date of resumption for all classes will be announced as soon as possible.”

 

Continue Reading

Trending