Hundreds of residents of Potiskum reports say are fleeing their homes following series of attacks that have left at least 31 dead and many buildings and properties burnt by Boko Haram in the last three days.
Potiskum had been under security lockdown since last Thursday with troops patrolling the streets and residents keeping in-doors for fear of new attacks. A relaxed security on Sunday morning meant residents had time to flee the restive city.
“A lot of people are leaving the city following the relaxing of the lockdown on the city by soldiers this morning,” said Hassan, a resident of Potiskum.
“Hundreds of residents, especially those living on the outskirts of the city, which have been worst hit by the attacks, are fleeing with their belongings.”
“Those of them with personal cars are stuffing personal belongings into their vehicles and heading out of the city, while others are taking buses and taxis at the garage and along the main road, heading south,” he said.
Hassan said he was already planning on leaving the restive city in the coming days.
Speaking to reporters, a fleeing resident, Hamisu Nababa, said he was leaving with his entire family.
“My wife and three children are in trauma from the attacks and want a change of environment where they can have peace,” he said, adding they were heading to Kaduna, some 600 kilometres to the west, to stay with a relation.
“Many people are leaving now that the military has opened the road and allowed people to move in and out of the city,” he added.
The town has been seriously hit with attacks by Boko Haram Islamists that occurs almost every day in recent weeks, prompting heavy deployment of troops and armoured vehicles to curb the violence and ensure fresh violence does not ensue. The attacks which began on Thursday left at least 31 people dead and several buildings destroyed.
According to a resident, Bukar Kolo, soldiers have beefed up security in the city.
“Vehicles are thoroughly searched and passengers frisked at every checkpoint. Pedestrians passing by checkpoints have to raise their hands to be sure they are not concealing weapons,” he said.
He also said most churches were closed as worshippers kept away for fear of attack.
“Christian residents stayed home for safety reasons. A church was also burnt in the attack and people are afraid to go for Sunday church service for fear of possible attack,” he said.
Boko Haram’s insurgency in northern Nigeria has led to loss of several lives and has crippled the economy of the north. More than 2, 800 lives are believed to have been lost to the attacks and the military’s response since 2009.
Avoid These Nigerians Food To Burn Stubborn Belly Fat (Video)
Being overweight or obese can be detrimental to your health. It is not advisable to have excess fat in the abdominal cavity because it can lead to some health issues. Getting your dream body will not be easy and you need to make some sacrifices to your diet. You will also need to turn a blind eye to some fatty foods.
If you’re ready to get rid of the belly fat, then stay put as Information Nigeria brings you some important tips that will help.
1. Avoid sugar and carbonated drinks
Did you know that consuming sugary substances like coke, fanta can lead to weight gain and a number of health problems like high blood pressure?. This is due to the high fructose content found in added sugars. Taking sugar-filled drinks may slow your metabolism and this in turn can make it harder for your body to burn fat. Fructose can only be metabolized by your liver. When you consume too much, you push your liver to its limit and it becomes overloaded, then it turns the fructose into fat and it ends up getting stored in your belly. To avoid putting yourself from risk, you should cut back on foods and drinks that contain huge amounts of sugar.
2. You also have to forgo junk foods like meat pie, cakes, rolls, candies, burgers, ice cream and cookies. You also need to do away with heavy foods like eba, akpu, pounded yam, rice among others. Switch up your eating habits and opt for a more balanced-diet if you want to burn your belly fat. Avoid consuming refined carbs like bread, pizza, potation chips etc. You should also stay away from processed and heavy foods because they contribute to stubborn belly fat. You should choose to eat proteinous foods like fish, eggs, and milk. starch contains fat, sugar and salt. They help a person feel fuller so you don’t end up looking for something to munch on after eating. It basically keeps hunger at bay.
3. Eat the right amount of fruits, vegetables, fibrous foods and whole grains – You can add vegetables, fruits and whole grains to your weight loss diet. They provide essential vitamins, minerals, fiber and other substances that are good for your body. Examples of fibre rich foods include; beans, broccoli, avocados, apples, oatmeal brown rice and whole grain bread.
4. Try to incorporate exercise into your daily or weekly routine – Exercise helps to speed up your metabolism and helps you shed weight. The bitter truth is that wearing just waist trainers and staying put in one position will not make you lose that stubborn belly fat. You should hit the gym.
5 Reduce alcohol intake – Excess intake of alcohol also leads to a host of health problems especially the build-up of fat in the belly area. Have you ever noticed that those who drink alcohol, especially men, often develop ‘pot-bellies’. Alcoholic drinks like beer provide your body with calories and very little nutrients. It can also increase your appetite. Replace the alcoholic drinks with water or alternate with low calorie, non-alcoholic beverages. Too much alcohol can cause liver damage and other serious health problems.
6. Try out apple cider vinegar – Apple cider vinegar is made in a two-step fermentation process. It is obtained from apples that have been crushed, distilled and fermented. Acetic acid is the main active component of apple cider vinegar. It is safe for consumption in small quantities and can be taken as a supplement. Do not also consume it straight from the bottle or in its pure form. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons to water before you drink. You can also add honey or lemon. It is best to drink it before your meals. Research shows it has many health benefits, such as lowering blood sugar levels.
Williams Uchemba And His Wife Exchange Wedding Vows In Lagos (Video)
Popular Nigerian actor, Williams Uchemba and his wife, Brunella Oscar have officially solemnized their union.
The couple finally exchanged their wedding vows at Dominion city church in Lagos state.
The beautiful wedding ceremony was reportedly officiated by the founder of the church, Dr. David Chukwudi Ogbueli alias Papa Eagle.
Celebrities, fans and well-wishers poured in congratulatory message for the couple after photos and videos from the ceremony hit the internet.
The actor wore a sleek tuxedo, while his bride, wore a lovely white gown.
Watch the videos below:
— Ngozi Clara (@ngoziclara) November 21, 2020
Actor, Model, Comedian, Philanthropist… Meet The Latest Groom, Williams Uchemba
Williams Uchemba, who was born on October 22, is an actor, motivational speaker, model, comedian, entrepreneur and philanthropist. The Abia-born thespian graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree in International Relation from the University of Nigeria, Nsukka in Enugu State.
Uchemba began his career in the early 2000s as a child actor and came into the limelight in 2001 after appearing in the Nollywood blockbuster movie, “The Journey of the Dead” along with Olu Jacobs, Ramsey Noah, and Pete Edochie.
Since then, the multi-talented actor never looked back as he has gone ahead to feature in more blockbuster movies like Sugar Rush (2019), Merry Men 2(2019) and Story Story: The African Rideshare (2018). He is the recipient of several awards.
The actor adopted an 18-year-old furniture maker in June and he promised to sponsor his education. He recently got married to his longtime girlfriend, Brunella Oscar at her hometown, Alor in Anambra state. The actor’s wife, Brunella opened up on their love story with Wedding Digest Naija and she disclosed that she made the first move. According to the English trained medical doctor, they both met on Facebook after she sent him a message.
- Entertainment17 hours ago
‘You Are A Disgrace’ – Actress Adesua Etomi Knocks Lauretta Onochie Over Her Tweet
- National News18 hours ago
‘Your Report On Lekki Capable Of Setting Nigeria On Fire’ — Lai Writes CNN
- Entertainment14 hours ago
‘Why I Don’t Promote My Old Songs’ – BBNaija’s Vee
- Metro News20 hours ago
Nigeria’s Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter
- National News17 hours ago
Petrol Subsidy Not Completely Gone, Says Minister
- National News20 hours ago
Amaechi Apologises For Abuja-Kaduna Train Breakdown
- Politics20 hours ago
Fashola: If We Keep Our Promises, APC Will Retain Power In 2023
- Politics20 hours ago
Saraki Leads PDP’s Nati youonal Reconciliation Panel