Opinion

[OPINION] Aluu Murders: Nigerians Are Out Of Their Minds

By James Olawaye

I have just viewed the video of the brutal murder of four young boys reported to be students of UNIPORT. It is a three minutes, thirty-three seconds video, i had to pause the video after about two minutes because my vision had become blurred; this wasn’t because the video was of a poor quality but because my eyes were clogged with tears.

I have seen corpses of people who died as a result of trauma but I have never witnessed such a horrible transition to death. For the first time in my life, I watched human beings lose their breath gradually and eventually become reduced to a mere mass of flesh, blood and bones. The agony and pains suffered by those boys is not deserved by anyone. I wonder if their souls will benefit from the ‘Rest in Peace’ mantra that appears in the prayers for departed souls. I cried as I watched them go into their throes of death; I wished I could put my hand through the screen of my phone to rescue them – I doubt my sanity at that moment.

What is/are the moral lesson(s) that Nigerians are supposed to pick from this incident which defies every possible adjectival qualification? Are the inhabitants of Aluu trying to teach Nigerians how to curb crime or how to deal with accused criminals? If that is the case, there are just as many criminals that deserve this treatment in various seats and offices of the Nigerian government. As much as I would condemn the actions of the devilish few that perpetuated this act, the banal many that watched it happen and the vacuous ones that made the recordings, I would still condemn the government.

One would ask, “Why does the government get the blame for the actions of a few who have decided to act out of their minds?” The truth is most Nigerians are out of their minds; thanks to the government! For those who haven’t lost it or trying hard to remain sane, they have decided to see the tinge of hope in the cloud of hopelessness that prevails over their everyday lives. This occurrence only happened because, according to news, the members of the community thought the boys belonged to the group of robbers they claimed had terrorized the community for a while. With a proper scrutiny, I observed that the members of that community suffered largely from a barrage of low-life factors such as insecurity, illiteracy, joblessness and without doubt, poverty.

If the Police force in Aluu community was effective and not derelict in duty, the people would have considered handing over the boys to them. Instead of a feeling of security, what the Nigerian Police force puts on the minds of Nigerians is fear. The only Police officer who is interested in anyone’s safety is the one hired for private services, he would at the least get a better pay for that than doing his official duties. The state of the Nigerian police is saddening…the corrupt majority has created in the hearts of Nigerians hatred laced with passion, for them. The police force is supposed to be the security arm of the government but apparently that is one of necrotic ends of the Nigerian government- security is nothing worthy of good mention in the country. It is for this reason that the Aluu incident occurred. Nigeria is a country where every citizen is responsible for his own security. That the government cares about our security is a ludicrous thing to believe, it is evident in our everyday lives.

Although I haven’t lived beyond the shores of our dear nation, I am literate enough to know the level of literacy of many countries. I remember a doctor (who studied in Singapore) once told me that only about 1% of the population of Singapore was not literate- I do not know how true this is. However, literacy is mostly acquired through good education. Most Nigerians don’t even have access to poor education; talk more of good education. I don’t know what Aluu is like but it is evident that many members of the community are uncivilised, despite the presence of a higher institution of learning in its environs. Sometimes I wonder what the government’s plan for education is. I am made to believe that the government is not interested in having literate citizens is because it fears more people will be empowered and knowledgeable; and trust me, no people are as dangerous as those who know their rights and how to defend it.

From the video, I observed the murder occurred during the day; I did not have to wonder why there were so much people at the scene-apparently, the murderers, viewers and cameramen were all on annual leave from their various jobs. “An idle hand is the devil’s workshop”- the people of Aluu interpreted that well.

Let us see Aluu community as a miniature Nigeria, it is filled with people who are burning with rage, deprived of their rights; they have to protect themselves and don’t know why; they have questions that are unanswered.

The boys who were killed at Aluu were only victims of the intermittent spasm of anger of the citizens against the government.

Nigerians are insane, we are running out of our minds; the government had better provided medicines that would calm us down- basic needs! I haven’t said the government is completely insensitive but the government should make real her promises and stop feeding us daily with bunches of hokum!

1. Ikenna Chibuzo

October 14, 2012 at 8:56 pm

The whole thing is sickening and worst of all as we’re not hearing much about arrests and etc, maybe it would be swept under the rug.Which is normal practice in Nigeria.

2. Koby Ndekwu

October 14, 2012 at 11:48 pm

This barbaric act, which has been termed The Aluu Four, is beyond description. The only way to describe it would be the tears that flow from your eyes when you attempt the said description. As of this moment, everyone would be looking to save his own skin, but the law enforcement agencies just have to bring those guilty to justice by any means necessary. Yes, by any means necessary. They no longer play by the rules of humanity, so they have to do what is needed to ensure that such hideous act never repeat’s itself, although we do not have to become monsters ourselves. I can’t really express myself right now, but whoever has watched that video would understand the feeling. God rest their souls, and grant their loved ones consolation!

3. idris

October 15, 2012 at 2:53 am

There is 2 bedrooms flat at ALLU community, and 7 acrs of land which goes for 10million at ALUU community, and 2 uncompleted building for sell.

4. peace

October 15, 2012 at 4:59 am

Idris are you ok?Anyways,the topic is about being out of mind.Not surprise

5. Raphmike

October 15, 2012 at 5:12 am

Long sentences have be abbreviated in other to describe what happened in ALUU. I have much to say, but speechless for now.
    Please, provide us with education – the only legacy you can give us. An educated person can always find what to eat with less stress. The horizon of an educated person is so broad and open that making adjustment is always his watchword. Differing circumstances calls for differing adjustments. Our learning institutions are outrageously expensive. Private schools and no go area, while the government has no effective institute – only to sell certificate. Every year we produce battalions of morons certified killers and place them in top government office – only to sign innocent persons death warrant.
    Who will bell the Cat?

6. Samuel Kunle-Oluwatobi

October 15, 2012 at 5:23 am

Nigeria’s government officials are not sourced from other planets but from the same bunch of insane,uninformed,disinformed,or disgruntled individuals whose business in government is not about national interests or ensuring communual peace but connected with personal interests,goals and aspirations which scope is limited to their immediate families,possibly friends and cronies.Even policy direction(s) is significantly informed by primordial impulses to achieve personal interests “what’s mine in this’ even with a culture of impunity.And its almost generally acceptable by all.Wait for your time is the recurring maxim.The question is who will change the tide???

7. Jude Bare

October 15, 2012 at 7:59 am

Till date, i have not been able to watch that gruesome video of the murder of those 4 young men. I do not think i will have the heart to watch it. But i saw pictures and comments of how they they died and i imagined how terrible it was. I have been having nightmares ever since and my heart bleeds. It is very easy to arrest and prosecute all those involved in the killings. I heard it was the Aluu vigilante group that arrested them. It is easy to fish them all out because the have a list of those on duty that day. Also, the videos and pictures should be used to hunt for all those who committed that heinous crime. I will not rest till all of them are executed. JUSTICE FOR ALUU4.

8. charles

October 15, 2012 at 10:46 am

Aluu just need to be happy because if one of the boys are meant to be my bro, I know by now there will be no town called ALUU again. They are really pissed city

9. Chisolu A

October 15, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Yφυ people α̲̅я̣̣̥ε̲̣̣̣̥ funny! Wђα̅† do u expect from Aluu. Its very simple †̥̥Ђӛ lteral translation ☺Ƒ Aluu i̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ English ȋ̝̊̅̄$ α̲̅ Community known for Taboo/Abomination. By there Name we shall know them.
    М̣̣̥̇̊ў advice ȋ̝̊̅̄$ that River state Govt/FGN should change †̥̥Ђӛ Community name with immediate effect, †̥̥Ђӛ earlier †̥̥Ђӛ better.

10. alex

October 15, 2012 at 1:11 pm

What is really sad about the Aluu episode, is that in a few weeks time, their case will be forgotten.

11. alex

October 15, 2012 at 1:39 pm

What is really sad about the Aluu episode, is that in a few weeks time their case would be a forgotten issue.

12. imran

October 15, 2012 at 1:40 pm

in response to alex’s submission, if nothing is done to bring the perpetrator to book today,the judgement from God is near and will be very severe on the collaborators.

13. quantum

October 15, 2012 at 5:05 pm

This matter has been overflogged! Nigerians are good at being reactive as if we will learn from it. I have been saying it in every forum and I’ve written editorials…nigeria is suffering from acute corruption. What we saw in Aluu is a ripple effect of high, deep-rooted corruption. No organisation of d govt is functional, the people have lost faith in the countrym see how young talents were wasted, only God knows whether one of the people killed in Mubi would have been a messiah of some sort…that’s how people r murdered daily. Truth isn d life of a nigerian is like a lit cigaretten it burns away even if its not smoked!

14. Darlington

October 16, 2012 at 2:43 am

My eyes clogged wt tears al minute of d day 4 der last moment der last breath d community is a ghost town

15. TRUTH

October 16, 2012 at 7:02 am

The ALUU incident is what prevails regularly from time to time for a long time in IKWERRELAND/OGONILAND/NIGER DELTA. They call themselves indigines/son of the soil – RUMU THIS , RUMU THAT.Every where they sell LAND and burn down any development you put on it to claim it back/ call it abandon properties. They are barbaric devils. Be warned. From GREATER PORTH HARCOURT to GREATER ALUU/IKWERRE to GREATER NIGER DELTA. Luckily FLOOD will soon sweep them away..

16. colez

October 16, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Common sense is gone by elders of a community to allow this type of act. what will younger once learn if their father/s is/are insane? shame. Even a thief deserve trail.

17. ib hoddow

October 16, 2012 at 1:47 pm

It is so unfortunate that the lives of four innocent young men had to end so painfully and horrific for no reason.the Government and politicians have failed us again.There is no comprehendable reason to rationalise this incident.those boys were barely adults and full of hope,aspirations and dreams but instead had their lives ended in the worst unimaginable nightmare.The Police force is a disgrace to this society and more than half of its men are despicable criminal minded hooligans who on their own carry out extrajudicial killings of innocent people.no matter what those boys had done,they did not deserve what happened to them.this is the height of savegery that I cannot believe exisits In 2012.I can’t imagine the pain& humilation they went through till the end and I feel so hopeless knowing that this is a country that most people have no compassion or conscience.this is no time for placid comments and action,we owe those young men justice at least for anyone who has an atom of conscience we must seek redress for their lives and those who perishedv in adamawa state.woe betide anyone involved in these heinous crimes and it must be treated as matter of nation security.those responsible from the debtor who cunningly raised a false alarm,to the chiefs& elders,to the participants& spectators who refused to stop it and the evil policemen who came to the scene& encouraged the savages at aluu should all be held accountable.my heart goes out to the families of those boys brutally murdered at aluu and to those viciously hacked in adamawa.to those in power who continue to embezzle and turn a deaf ear to the plight of people who need redress and justice,shame on you.this country is falling into anarchy so fast.my tears cannot bring back innocent lives but we who still have a soul can make sure justice is served.

18. Rejoice

October 16, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Tears rolled down my eyes just like every other nigerian as i watch dat vedio,y shld pple b so heartless as to burning a fellow human being alive…..Oh God pls help me to 4get wat i saw in dat vedio…we all as fellow nigerians nd as human beings cry for justice

19. Pedro

October 17, 2012 at 9:59 am

WE ARE DEFINITELY OUT OF OUR MINDS, THAT IS WHY SOMEONE WILL GO TO A CHURCH AND KILL WORSHIPPERS AND SHOOT DOWN THOSE WHO WANT TO ESCAPE. GO TO A UN BUILDING AND BLAST IT DOWN KILLING HOW MANY??? VISIT A SCHOOL AND KILL SCORES *MUBI ETC – TO ACHIEVE WHAT, PLEASE. ARE WE AT WAR, IF YES, WITH WHOM? AND IF NO, CAN ALL THESE BE HAPPENING IF WE ARE NOT OUT OF OUR MINDS????

20. emperor

August 12, 2013 at 1:05 pm

I never knew I could shed tears like a baby whose mother left without breastfeeding for δ whole day…. Honestly I cried uncontrolablly coz I was just finking “dat would av been me”. God av mercy.?!!!!!!! I don’t just know ao to describe dis bt δ tears I cry ill hunt dos perpetrators and δ police dat couldn’t at first rescue dos innocent boys before investigating if truly dey were guilty of offences levied against dem. I’m sorry, not for dos boys, bt for dos ppl who carried out dat babarric horrible act out; especially δ women who stood dia watching dos dare-devils did dat refusing to feel for dem lik dia own kids.
    Some were saying “hit dis one nahh him never die”
    Some were saying “wia dem clothes nahh”
    Some were saying “commot δ tire” when the skull breaking act ensued
    Some were saying “bring dat one come back abi where him dey run go?” Wen ugonna was trying to roll out from δ inferno
    Some were laffing devilishly “hahahahaha”………………….
    I thank God none of my people is involved coz I swear had it been it appened to a person of mine I would av been a fugitive β now coz I would put my life on δ line and do somfin I’m not even proud of myself. One fin is sure and suredue dat Nemesis never dies.

21. emperor

August 12, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Once again the tears I cry will arouse the good spirit of hose boys and smoke those evil people coz even if they were guilty of the accusation I don’t fink they desrved to be lynched like that. What a horrible transition to death!!!!!. Its almost a year now bt the pains to my heart is still fresh like it was yesterday. I know they can’t be resting in peace now because they didn’t die in peace bt I just ask tru prayers that God should have mercy on their souls and give them eternal rest.

Opinion

Who Will Explain Coronavirus To Buhari?

Coronavirus (COVID-19), an exorable doom, threatens life on the planet. It is exorable because it is conquerable. This explains why world leaders are taking the charge to combat this ominous apocalypse. It is a time for leadership from the fore-end; a time when citizens must hear their leaders speak to them; see them take action, making assurances and fulfilling those promises. The counsel, consolation and firm statement of a leader is imperative at this moment.

In Canada, Justin Trudeau, prime minister, despite being in self-isolation and his wife battling the virus after contracting it at a conference in the UK, is leading the fight against this dreaded disease from the fore. He is providing regular updates of the efforts of his government to roll back this scourge, listening and speaking to citizens.

In a popular broadcast on March 13, Justin spoke to citizens of Canada announcing measures to relieve the financial stress brought on by the pandemic on Canadians.

“We do not want any Canadian to have to worry about whether or not they’re going to be able to pay their rent, whether or not they’re going to be able to buy groceries, or care for their kids or elderly family members. We need to make sure that Canadians have the options and the ability to follow the best public health advice and keep themselves safe,” he said.

In the UK, Boris Johnson, prime minister, leads the struggle against coronavirus. He provides updates, alongside health experts, on the measures his government is taking to tackle the spread of the disease. And in the US, Donald Trump is not shying away from speaking to Americans on the virus.

As a matter of fact, President Muhammadu Buhari’s lapses are often easily dismissed by his supporters or by Nigerians who do not know better. Some of them say, ‘’ Why must the president speak when the minister of health and the NCDC DG are already doing that?” This is a contemptible rationalisation of incompetence. Are they suggesting the president lacks the capacitance to understand the issues?’’

Really, I surmise the president has been walled off the ‘’candid cameras’’ over the years by his handlers – not just now – because he lacks the intellectual propensity to understand and discuss incisive issues. The last presidential media chat he held was in 2015 and it was a woeful outing. Also, his non-choreographed media interviews have been abysmal to say the least.

The truth is the unfiltered Buhari is a vacuously gaffing one. On October 14, 2016, standing beside Angela Merkel, German chancellor, Buhari said his wife, Aisha, ‘’belonged in the kitchen and the other room’’, when he was asked to comment on the first lady’s criticism of his government.

On April 18, 2018, at the Commonwealth Business Forum in London, the president said the young citizens of the country he leads are lazy.

“More than 60 per cent of the population is below 30, a lot of them haven’t been to school and they are claiming that Nigeria is an oil producing country, therefore, they should sit and do nothing, and get housing, healthcare, education free,” he said during a panel appearance with world leaders at the forum.

In a February 2016 interview with UK Telegraph, Buhari dropped another clanger. He said the young citizens of his country have a knack for criminality and should not be granted asylum in the UK.

With the Buhari experience, it is indubitable that Nigerians must place a high premium on education — not just certificate – in choosing their leaders. The cost of electing leaders who do not have the intellectual grit to understand and handle matters is far too high.

The senate has asked the president to speak to citizens on this threat, and Nigerians are also asking the president to speak to them. This is an abnormality. Citizens must not beg to hear from their president. But because it is Buhari involved here, we have to beg and even excuse the crass inefficiency and vacuity.

Perhaps, the president is still trying to get a hang of it. I think he has ‘’capable handlers’’ who can break it down to him in ABC.

Mr President, speak to your citizens. The words of a leader are more resounding and assuring than the blandishment of proxies.

PS: Let’s follow all health protocol as advised by the NCDC.

• Wash your hands regularly with soap under running water.

• Cover your mouth and nose properly with handkerchief or tissue paper when sneezing and/or coughing. You may also cough into your elbow if a handkerchief is not available.

• Avoid close contact with anyone showing symptoms of respiratory illness such as coughing and sneezing.

• Avoid self-medication, report to the nearest health facility when you experience any of the above-mentioned symptoms.

Fredrick Nwabufo is a writer and journalist.

Opinion

Sanusi: Once Upon An Emir, By Wole Olaoye

We are all potential Ex-es: ex-student, ex-director, ex-lecturer, ex-senator, ex-governor, ex-president, ex-oba, ex-emir…. The inimitable Zik famously reminded us when he had a spat with Ukpabi Asika that Ex was an inevitable prefix for any human being as was evidenced by the fact that a certain young man who would someday become an ex-Administrator, was the son of an ex-postmaster!

So, what’s so apocalyptic about Sanusi Lamido Sanusi joining the ranks of ex-potentates? Nothing? Everything! Don’t ever think that bell you are hearing is tolling for the former Emir of Kano. No. It could be signalling the beginning of a comprehensive demystification of traditional rulership by plebeians holding tenured political power. In centuries past, no plebeian messed with the traditional institution. The halo of nobility, the sheer vastness of a prince’s hereditary powers, rights and privileges, made the subject know his place.

Yesterday’s subjects are today’s political sovereign. They make no pretences to sophistication. They load a gun to kill a spider. When you dethrone a monarch and then deprive him of his liberty, forcefully banishing him to a place without electricity and potable water, you are playing god. If it was all a public relations Olympics, the calm dignity with which Sanusi handled the humiliation made people all over the world admire his chutzpa and hand him the gold medal. A

Life and its many puzzles! Why is it that for some men and women, “their sleep is taken away unless they cause some to fall”? What do you do about an ego that knows no satiation? As the Preacher in the Good Book timelessly says, “All the rivers flow into the sea, yet the sea is never full… The eye is not satisfied with seeing, nor the ear content with hearing… there is nothing new under the sun”.

The Yoruba have a poem that says just that. “The horse struts and frets and then dies. Being a veteran walker is no immunity to getting lost. Nothing new under the sun. I’ve seen kings reduced to slaves; and servants who mounted the throne. Haven’t my eyes beheld both river and sea? Haven’t I seen a hunchback on spindly legs, and a midget climbing a ladder to add condiment to the soup pot? Tell me, has anyone ever started a building from the roof?

The new Emir of Kano, Alhaji Aminu Ado Bayero, is a cousin of his predecessor. As royal intrigues go, when the dust is settled the sword will be sheathed and brother will embrace brother. That is the way of princes. Eventually, outsiders will realise that all they can ever be in palace politics is outsiders. Our very own Nobel prize winning Kongi was not amused by the scandalous extra-judicial detention of the former emir.

He put the emir’s travail down to his progressive stance: “Emir Sanusi was a one-man EFCC sanitisation squad in the banking system, taking on the powerful corrupters of that institution…. “Most important of all, and most pertinently for the nation, Sanusi was one of the early warning voices against religious extremism whose bitter fruits the nation is currently reaping….

The doors of enlightened society remain wide open to Muhammad Sanusi. As for his current crowing Nemesis, a different kind of gates remain yawning to receive him when, as must, the days of governorship immunity finally come to an end.” Support for Sanusi is not limited to radical voices.

Veteran technocrat Alhaji Ahmed Joda penned a panegyric in support of the ex-emir: “The purpose of this letter to you is not to commiserate with you, because I know that you must have known the likely consequences  of the principled position you have taken. The reality we must face in Northern Nigeria is that the evil forces of feudalism that have kept us in bondage for so long are still there and fighting. You have been the only voice that has been telling us this truth….”

It is easy to kick a man given a pin-fall by fate, or piss on the grave of a fallen warrior. Dead men don’t bite. Real friends show up when you are in life’s valley. Say what you will, I would rather have a friend like Nasir el Rufai when the chips are down. In the midst of all the turmoil, conspiracy theories have surfaced to the effect that the dethronement is but a political sleight-of-hand to propel Sanusi to Nigeria’s presidency in 2023. Caution! Let’s separate the issues. Political succession is totally different from fundamental human rights. Sanusi is not my next president.

My views on power rotation are well documented. The ex-emir will go down in history as a champion for the rights of the poorest of the poor. He advocated for a new Northern Nigeria where old backward practices such as the almajiri system and irresponsible parenting will be abandoned. His was the voice crying out in the desert, lift my people up from the cesspit of penury. The attempt to demonise him after dethronement through various allegations, including one on religious fundamentalism, is dead on arrival. The same fate will befall the vilification of El Rufai on account of his loyalty to Sanusi. Please quote me: Modern challenges can never be resolved with a resort to medieval solutions.

Christopher Hitchens’ Q&A may someday apply to the ex-Kings College boy who’s now an ex-king.

Opinion

Sanusi Dethronement: The North Only Beheads The Bearers Of Truth

By Fredrick Nwabufo

Northern Nigeria is prostrate. It is the axis of uglies – banditry, insurgency, kidnapping, diseases, ignorance, and drug abuse. Alas! The region’s elite are aware of the problems, but look away because the disequilibrious status quo sustains them. What is petrifying, however, is that they maul and clobber at anyone who spits the truth in their faces.

I think, this is the mortal sin of Muhammad Sanusi II, emir of Kano – beyond his politics with Abdullahi Ganduje, governor of Kano.

But wait!

The World Bank says 87 percent of Nigeria’s poor are in the north. And that while poverty is plummeting in the south, it is rocketing in the upper region.

READ: Dethroned Sanusi Will Be Under House Arrest – Ganduje’s Aide

“Poverty in the northern regions of the country has been increasing especially in the north-west zone. Almost half of all poor lived in the north-west and the north accounts for 87 percent of all poor in the country in 2016,’’ the Bretton Woods institution said in its report entitled ‘Advancing social protection in a dynamic Nigeria’ in February 2020.

In August, 2019, the federal government revealed that 1,460 people were killed by bandits in seven months. And that the north-west is the worst-hit by this bloody enterprise. The killings have steadied, expanding in proportion and execution in the region.

In his accustomed manner, Sanusi recently vocalised these depressing figures of retrogression in the north – as regards the World Bank report — earning himself praise from progressive Nigerians and reprimand from the usual suspects — those stuck in the cesspit of bigotry.

Also, the gadfly emir of Kano, whom I regard as the John the Baptist of the north for his vociferous condemnation of this status quo, is alone in his advocacy against irresponsible polygamy, Al-majiri and child marriage – practices the northern elite espouse. He is the face of a progressive north; the northerner of the new age.

As a matter of fact, on different occasions he had complained about the northern elite whom he said wanted to silence him for speaking the truth about the region.

‘’Our colleagues and compatriots among the elite do not like statistics. Numbers are disturbing. I recently gave a speech in which I said the north-east and north-west of Nigeria are the poorest parts of the country. This simple statement of fact has generated so much heat; the noise has yet to die down. The response to this speech has been a barrage of personal attacks and insults aimed at silencing any voices that dare shine the light on the society to which we are saying Bring Back our Girls,’’ he said at a lecture held to commemorate the Chibok girls abduction.

READ: Sanusi Breaks Silence After Dethronement As Emir Of Kano (Video)

And I guess they can only take the throne away from him but cannot take away his royalty in the community of decent humans. Really, I believe the emir would rather give up his throne than be gagged by the shareholders of iniquity.

To say the least, Sanusi’s dethroning was not unexpected. Ganduje had always shown his hand in this plot. Really, the emir of Kano never hid his dislike for him. But what is there to like about a governor who was allegedly caught on camera stuffing wads of dollars into his babariga? In the build-up to the 2019 governorship election in the state, the emir was not shy in expressing his disapproval to Ganduje’s candidature.

So, Ganduje, who considers Sanusi a ‘’loud mouth’’, plotted a bitter revenge after he was re-elected. He had moved to remove the emir in 2018 but for the intervention of some ‘’higher powers’’. However, he whittle-down the power of the emir by creating new emirates from his domain. He was not done though. He rustled-up allegations, set up probe panels – all in the desperation to embarrass Sanusi.

But Sanusi was still talking.

Really, one of the most abrasive places to exist is in the circle of non-progressives. You talk different, think different or act different, they will feel threatened. Even when you try to clown around; the aboriginal clowns will still feel threatened because you do not look the part.

I think, Emir Sanusi is light-years away from the people he is dealing with in Kano government. He is needed more at the top echelon of government where he can contribute more meaningfully to the development of Nigeria.

Northern Nigeria is not ready for an emir like Sanusi. He is ahead of his time.

Fredrick Nwabufo is a writer and journalist.