University of Port Harcourt, Rivers State, has declared seven days of mourning for three of its students killed by irate mobs at Omokere-Aluu community, Friday, last week.
Vice Chancellor of the University, Prof. Joseph Ajienka, who spoke to newsmen, yesterday, at the main campus of the university, described the killing of the students as a horrendous crime.
Stressing that the university would not tolerate any act of jungle justice, he commiserated with the bereaved families. He said the university had to suspend its students’ union week, which was to have commenced yesterday, in honour of the deceased students and also declared seven days mourning period, which would end on Sunday.
He said the three deceased persons confirmed to be students of the university were Biringa Lordson, a year two Theatre Arts student; Ugonna Obuzor, a year two Geology student and Mike Toku, a year two Civil Engineering student.
He said the fourth person killed alongside the other three was Tekena Erikena, adding that efforts were still on to confirm if he was a student of the university.
The Vice Chancellor said though the university had declared seven days mourning period for the deceased students, which took off yesterday, the university was still in session.
He dismissed allegations in some quarters that students of the university were mobilizing to storm Omokere-Aluu community, where the killing took place on a reprisal attack.
Prof Ajienka, who was flanked by other principal officers of the university, called on security operatives to fish out those behind the killings.
Meanwhile, news reports indicate that some residents have started relocating to neighbouring areas. They were reported to have blamed their exodus on fear of arrest by security operatives.
Some of them who spoke on strict condition of anonymity, said they had been living at the mercy of armed robbers in the community within the last six months.
Nigeria’s Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter
Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Isa Ali Pantami, has announced the loss of his 13-year-old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali.
The Minister took to his Twitter account on Monday night to announce this sad news.
Pantami stated that the funeral prayer for the deceased will be conducted in Abuja on Tuesday at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2.
The post by the minister announcing the incident reads; “Inna lil Laahi wa inna ilaiHi Rajiun! My 13-year old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali (Amal) passed away just a moment ago.
“Due to some necessities, funeral prayer tomorrow at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2, immediately after Zuhr prayer In sha Allah. May Allah forgive and be merciful to her.”
Inna lil Laahi wa inna ilaiHi Rajiun!
My 13-year old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali (Amal) passed away just a moment ago.
Due to some necessities, funeral prayer tomorrow at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2, immediately after Zuhr prayer in sha Allah. May Allah forgive & be Merciful to her.
— Isa Ali Pantami, PhD (@DrIsaPantami) November 23, 2020
Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu
Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State has imposed a 24-hour total curfew for two weeks on some parts of Port-Harcourt, the state capital.
The Governor made this known during a broadcast on Sunday where he noted that the curfew begins from Monday 23rd November 2020.
The statement noted that the upsurge noticed by the state government in cases of cult activities, other forms of violence, and killings is responsible for the curfew.
Wike in the statement declared that the entire area along and around the Okoro-nodu flyover up to a one-kilometre radius from Saint Emmanuel Anglican Church, Rumuokoro, extending to the Rumuodomaya Slaughter and Local Government daily market will be affected.
He added that no form of trading, human or vehicular movement is allowed in the affected areas until further notice.
Zamfara Governor Secures Release Of 11 Kidnapped Victims
Governor of Zamafara, Bello Matawalle has announced the release of 11 kidnapped victims.
According to reports, ten of the victims were male and a female from Bukkuyum Local Government Area.
Matawalle received the rescued kidnapped victims on Saturday night at the Government House in Gusau, the state capital.
The Commissioner of Security and Home Affairs, Abubakar Muhammed Dauran revealed that the victims were released without paying a ransom.
He stated they were released as a result of the peace initiative and stakeholders meeting summoned by Governor Matawalle with all critical stakeholders from Bukkuyum Local Government Area on Thursday.
Governor Matawalle assured that his administration will not rest on its oars until total peace is achieved in all parts of the state.
- Politics2 hours ago
BREAKING: Senator Abbo Dumps PDP; Joins APC
- Entertainment24 hours ago
‘The Bar For Nigerian Politicians Is Shamefully Low’, Says Mr Macaroni
- Entertainment23 hours ago
Comedian Basketmouth Talks About His New Album; Opens Up On Why He Initially Switched From Music To Comedy
- Entertainment24 hours ago
BBNaija’s Tochi Slams Those Saying Celebrities Should Not Repeat Outfits
- Entertainment22 hours ago
‘Do Not Turn Your Mentor To Your Competitor’, Helen Paul Advises
- Entertainment24 hours ago
Tiwa Savage, Burna Boy, Others Nominated For The ‘Best African Act’ At The 2020 MOBO Awards
- News Feed18 hours ago
COVID-19 vaccine: US embassy celebrates Nigerian doctor Ogbuagu
- Politics20 hours ago
Umahi Sacks Tertiary Institution’s Boards Headed By Ex-Minister, Ambassador