Connect with us

Metro News

Cameroon Set To Take Over Bakassi With Heavy Security

Published

on

BARELY 24 hours to the expiration of the window of opportunity to appeal against the International court of Justice, ICJ, ruling that ceded the oil-rich Bakassi Peninsula to Cameroon in October 10, 2002, there are influx of stern looking men believed to be security operatives from Cameroon

The increased presence of security operatives from Cameroon according to Nigerian Sources at the island was to ensure that the country takes absolute control of the area following Nigeria’s failure to appeal against the judgment or call for a review.

The Sources also claimed that in the past few weeks, Nigerian indigenes resident at the disputed island have not been able to reach at their relations in Nigeria through phone calls, while the Cameroon government had infiltrated families of Nigerians at the area causing division among them.

A highly placed Bakassi Local Government Council official who spoke with Vanguard on condition of anonymity alleged that some Nigerians doing business at the Peninsula had complained of harassment by the Cameroon security agents.

The official also said that there had been many strange faces suspected to be security personnel coming in groups in preparation of taking complete control of the place.

Meanwhile, President of Academic Staff Union of Universities, Dr. Nasir Isa has said that Nigeria made a mistake in handling the matter and that the federal government also made a great mistake by committing herself to hand over Bakassi to Cameroon, adding that children in Bakassi have the right to decide where to belong.

Adoke said the Nigerian government was determined to protect the interests of the local population “including negotiations aimed at buying back the territory.”
However, Cameroonian government spokesman Issa Tchiroma Bakary said recently “Bakassi is Cameroon and this is non-negotiable.”

Tension remains high in the swampy region, which is home to several armed groups. A movement called the Bakassi Self-Determination Front declared independence from Cameroon in August, hosting a flag and setting up an FM radio station. It is not clear how much support it has.

Vincent Aquah, chairman of the Cross Rivers State Emergency Management Agency told DW there were indications that the Bakassi people were being forced to leave their homeland. “From the stories they tell us, there is a high degree of hostility from the Cameroonian gendarmes.”

DW’s Moki Kindzeka says the inhabitants of Bakassi were given five years, under the Green Tree agreement between Cameroon and Nigeria, to decide whether they wanted to become Cameroonians or remain Nigerians.
Sam Olukoya, a DW correspondent in Lagos, says that former Bakassi residents who have already fled their homeland for Nigeria face a tough time.

In the area where the Nigerian government is resettling them, there is a lack of basic facilities such as shelter, water and health care. There are also problems of adjustment. “They are being resettled on dry land where fishing, their traditional occupation is not possible,” he says.

Source: Vanguard Newspapers

Continue Reading
1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. alaye baba

    October 11, 2012 at 9:26 pm

    GEJ is the worst president nigeria has had! So he has finally allowed cameroun to take bakassi just like that?? Kai na wa ooo! Without even attempting to appeal in courts?? Ha! Olori buruku ni yen!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro News

Nigeria’s Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter

Published

on

Nigeria's Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter

Communications minister, Isa Pantami

Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Isa Ali Pantami, has announced the loss of his 13-year-old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali.

The Minister took to his Twitter account on Monday night to announce this sad news.

Pantami stated that the funeral prayer for the deceased will be conducted in Abuja on Tuesday at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2.

Also Read: Gunmen Evict NIDCOM Staff From Office On Minister’s Order

The post by the minister announcing the incident reads; “Inna lil Laahi wa inna ilaiHi Rajiun! My 13-year old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali (Amal) passed away just a moment ago.

“Due to some necessities, funeral prayer tomorrow at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2, immediately after Zuhr prayer In sha Allah. May Allah forgive and be merciful to her.”

 

Continue Reading

Metro News

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Published

on

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Governor Wike

Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State has imposed a 24-hour total curfew for two weeks on some parts of Port-Harcourt, the state capital.

The Governor made this known during a broadcast on Sunday where he noted that the curfew begins from Monday 23rd November 2020.

The statement noted that the upsurge noticed by the state government in cases of cult activities, other forms of violence, and killings is responsible for the curfew.

Also Read: Umahi Unhappy With PDP Because Atiku Picked Peter Obi – Wike

Wike in the statement declared that the entire area along and around the Okoro-nodu flyover up to a one-kilometre radius from Saint Emmanuel Anglican Church, Rumuokoro, extending to the Rumuodomaya Slaughter and Local Government daily market will be affected.

He added that no form of trading, human or vehicular movement is allowed in the affected areas until further notice.

Continue Reading

Metro News

Zamfara Governor Secures Release Of 11 Kidnapped Victims

Published

on

Zamfara Governor Secures Release Of 11 Kidnapped Victims

Bello Matawalle

Governor of Zamafara, Bello Matawalle has announced the release of 11 kidnapped victims.

According to reports, ten of the victims were male and a female from Bukkuyum Local Government Area.

Matawalle received the rescued kidnapped victims on Saturday night at the Government House in Gusau, the state capital.

The Commissioner of Security and Home Affairs, Abubakar Muhammed Dauran revealed that the victims were released without paying a ransom.

Also Read: Nigeria still needs SARS, Zamfara gov, Matawalle insists

He stated they were released as a result of the peace initiative and stakeholders meeting summoned by Governor Matawalle with all critical stakeholders from Bukkuyum Local Government Area on Thursday.

Governor Matawalle assured that his administration will not rest on its oars until total peace is achieved in all parts of the state.

 

Continue Reading

Trending