The international terrorist group, al-Qaeda, it has been gathered, are planning to attack Nigeria. The Deputy Force Public Relations Officer, Mr. Frank Mba, confirming the information, however noted that such threats were received in the past, and added that security agencies were determined to ensure the group’s plan did not succeed.
According Mba, the police are receiving immense support from developed countries that have counter- terrorism expertise. He said, “That al-Qaeda and similar groups want to attack some certain countries is not new. As security operatives, we treat information at our disposal with uttermost care. We test their veracity and analyse them… Here in Nigeria, we stop most of the domestic attacks before they take place. We defuse more bombs than they detonate. We save thousands of lives daily but we do this discretely and quietly.
He continues: “More than ever, we have so much support from the international community. We are getting help from both ECOWAS and western countries. We are doing our best with the resources we have and we will continue to do so… We have stepped up security everywhere but we won’t disclose how we are doing that and the specifics of our mechanisms… I want to assure Nigerians and the international community that government is irrevocably committed to its mandate of providing adequate security in the country.”
Reports of possible attacks on Ghana had also been gotten about two weeks ago, leading the country to beef up security at their Kotoka International Airport, Accra last Tuesday. Also, a Ghanaian newspaper, Daily guide, had reported:
“Nigeria, three others are said to be on the radar of the terrorist group. Ghana is also said to be on a hit list of an international terrorist group, leading to deployment of soldiers at the Kotoka International Airport, Accra.”
So far, it is yet unknown if the attacks would be launched by al-Qaeda in the Maghreb or the main terrorist organisation in the country.