Opinion

When social networking breeds promiscuity

This happens to be the longest title I have ever giving to any post, but it is what it is.

Not so long ago, someone very close to me called me.  We spoke for a couple of seconds when I realized that she wasn’t sounding so cool. So, I asked what was wrong with her and she said nothing was wrong with her and then I asked what the problem was and she said the problem was Maya (not her real name). I asked what about Maya and she said that Maya was raped. I couldn’t help saying “What?”…Typical Nigerian way of showing shock.
Now, I have known Maya for a while. She is a friendly, lively girl. Also the first daughter of a pastor…cut all the crap about pastors daughters being the worst kids on/behind the block…she was also strong minded too and knew how to handle guys that made advances at her.  Heck! She didn’t even let them get that far. She believed her dad would kill her if anything crazy were to happen to her happen, plus she knew her sisters, cousins, neigbour’s were looking up to her and so she couldn’t afford to mess up.
Let’s leave the ‘Maya’ story for a bit now.
Have you heard or read about happily married couples who met on Facebook or about sick celebrities who had followers on twitter who were willing to donate an organ for them. All these are some cool stuff about social networking sites and talking about them, there are so many of them…God bless the internet…Nigerians, being who we are (one people, one nation…hehe!), we no dey carry last at all.
The only bad thing is that these social networking sites have paved way for all sorts of crazy and sick tendencies to be revealed. I needn’t go far, let me use 2go™. All one needs is a phone that can access the internet…off-course minus all those annoying Huawei cheap-phones…no monthly subscription and the charges are quite cheap too. All it takes is to download, connect and then explore. This should be fun. It is actually fun, a place where one can meet a lot of cool people and discuss anything under the Nigerian sun and abroad, but it is also a place where nearly all the guys are extremely horny…Yes, I said it.
Back to ‘Maya’ for a bit…She lost her virginity to her rapist who by the way, was some guy she met on 2go™…But this is not about 2go™, but about the crazy dudes and girls using it…We would get back to ‘Maya’ later on.
It’s not really a new thing that I like to ‘jones’, so after hearing about the ‘Maya’ incident and deciding that I was going to write about it/share the story, I decided to use my second 2go™ profile…(a female one that I created to ‘jones’ an old friend of mine, who actually fell for it but later caught me because I made a little mistake; if there is anything I gained, I did say he wouldn’t be too quick to trust girls on 2go™)…to chat with guys so I could post the exact ‘shitty’ words they used and generally how their minds works. First, I entered a room, guess it was a dating advice room and before I could write “Hello”, I had close to ten guys trying to add me to their friends list.
Horny Guy #1
Hey
Hi
U cold?
A little bit
I’m lonely here…where are you?
Abj
I mean where are you now?
At home
Lykwise me…You are with who at home?
Alone
Can I see you now?
How do you mean?
Can you snap and send me how you look?…Now!
My cam is not good
Ehn
Wot?
U don’t want to send me, not dat ur cam is faulty
I’m not cool with sharing pix
I’m alone here and am naked
Wow!
Let me see your pix now
Check my profile
I mean sexy pix
(he sent a pix of himself lying down on the bed totally naked… except for a little towel covering his privies)
Is dat u?
Yes…can I see yours?
Do you really need to see mine?…brb
 Want to see how sexy you are and I want my d**k to charge…U there?
Yea, I’m back
Where did you go?
Had to read a txt
Ehn…ok…So?
Can’t we just chat?
We can. Just dat my mood is high right now…Y ignore me? (I was tempted to write: high on what…go down low bro…hehe)
I’m not…is it even big?
Big as in?
Don’t worry, neva mind
Y na…U shun me again
I’m not shunning you, my network is bad
Ok ma
Tnx 4 understanding
So you can’t send me right?
Not comfortable sending you
Please now, let me feel you
Afta you see it wot next?
I would get down with u, to know you better
How do you mean?
Pls, pls, let my d**k charge
Is it big?
Not so big but long
I love big ones…how long?
Babe let me see c u. I’ll send u
Ok but let me see you first
It seems u are playing games with me. I know u don’t want to send me
U are not so sure…tnx you made things easy for my writing
*deleted him from my list*
Horny Guy #2
Hi…Xup?
I’m ok
Nice to meet you… I’m Franklin
Maya
Cool name, you are from where?
Imo
K, how are you doing today
Grt
Dats gud
Yea
Do you sexchat?
Sometimes
Do you feel like it now?
Let’s try
Cool, how do we start?
U tell me
K, I’m presently rubbing my d**k
Yea
Need to rub it hard yl I kiss you
Luv dat…brb
K, waiting
Hi
Hey
U’re back
Yea
Cool, u’re alone
Yea
Nice, wd you rub my d**k now
Rubbing it
Yea, feel it…tease me with your tongue
Ooh…aah!! (I couldn’t help laughing when I wrote this one)
Put my d**k btw ur b**bs
I love dat
Me too, esp with big t*ts
Myn is big
I guess so, they would fit my large c**k
Sure
Very sure and I will suck and squeeze them hard
OMG, love it so much
Den I am sucking ur b**bs and rubbing ur P***y
Dnt stop…Dnt stp (laughed so hard here, I nearly rolled to the floor)
Yea, kiss me harda…rub my d**k
**kiss smiley**
 Oh! My d**k is so hard right now
Lv hard ones
Wana see it?
Sure
**dude sent an xrated pix, wasn’t pleasant to my eyes**
Is dat truly yours?
Yes o! I’m nude from the waist down…I am just so f**king horny
Me too (felt sick saying this to d dude)
U are nude too?
Can you get nude?
Nope. Thanks for the pix though…tonight I would use it for juju.
*deleted him from my list*
It wasn’t easy chatting and writing all the messages as it came but ‘twas worth it…I guess. What other proof to show how horny, loose and sexually motivated guys are…and to think that they would end up being parents soon…It’s scary…but then , no be only guys o! I have chatted with a fair share of wild girls. No be say I holy pass, but c’mon, the ‘konji’ concentration in some guys/girls blood are just too much…too-too much, but then again, there are still some girls/guys who fall for this kind of ‘trashy’-chat, some actually like it.
That reminds me of some other guy I chatted with but was too tired to write down the chat. He started by being nice and before I knew it he was inviting me…as in me with a female profile…to come to Nsukka because he stayed alone and when I asked for transport fare he was willing to send it to me as long as I assured him that I would be coming. Along the line, I kinda lost it and asked him if he thought I was some cheap girl and whadahell did he take me for and the dude, after trying so hard to exonerate himself from looking like the sex-freak that he was, finally gave up. You wouldn’t believe what he said…paraphrasing it…”Do you think I’m a kid? I’m a university graduate. While I was in school, I came across hundreds of girls and you are not even up to them”…This was the lamest yarns ever, if you ask me, but then again, you needn’t ask me. He was a graduate and he reasoned with his phallus #Gbam#…My reply to him was “You met a hundred girls and wanked thinking about ninety-nine of them, I met a thousand guys and nine hundred and ninety-nine of them wanked thinking of me, so get a life, you cheap perverted punk-faced wankstar”…I guessed I was so very pissed at him.
Back to the topic>>>Girls get raped everyday and one thing that is really killing me is that most of these rapist go scot-free…”Maya” couldn’t tell her parents about the whole rape thing because she went to visit her rapist on her own volition but the part that gets to me most about the whole thing, was what the rapist told her after the whole nasty act, when she had managed to put herself together and to satisfy her conscience, landed him a ‘hot’ slap …”I’m sorry, I had too. You can kill me if you want”
There are so many lessons to be learnt from this, no matter a person’s age, but three I would like to bring forward would be that: one has got to be careful about the kind of friends one makes on social networking sites, I bet that is obvious. Secondly; it’s best to learn from people’s mistakes, hence the reason why I am writing this in the first place and lastly…this is for girls… there is the need to kill the belief that it would take more than a guy to rape a girl.
That was “Maya’s” thought before she was convinced.
This guest post was written by Kelechi Kemnele of www.bellybature.wordpress.com

1. sally

July 7, 2012 at 11:34 pm

This is so so so true! I get all sorts of horny weirdos on twitter both sexes included α̲̅πϑ it makes me wonder if the country is slowly going mad. All sorts of naked pics α̲̅πϑ what nots. I never give out any personal info there α̲̅πϑ I block them asap. Girls need to be really careful especially teens getting on the social media band wagon.

2. alfredhenry a.k.a calculus

July 8, 2012 at 9:37 am

fair is foul,foul is fair(william shakespear)

3. Godly-son

July 8, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Ooooh! It’s really OBVIOUSLY that it can happen especially on this 2Go world, and it can only happen to those that don’t see, heard, and even watch on a movies how our wicked world is up to.. Sometimes i guess we don’t have such an ignorant girls here in this computer-age and a CIVILIZED world again! For me, I really like 2GO APPz and almost find it so habitable for me to crag jokes share fun and otherwise… besides, am 2in1 (as in having male 2go and female 2go) with different mission, “MALE one is to share jokes, life, love, word of God, and communicate with my real friends without spending money to call them, its very interestin and benefits. But FEMALE one is to test how wicked our fellow guys is, how quickly they can giveup to girls, thier weakness, to know how they act, to learn a lesson, tricks, and sometimes i even collecting money from them (fools) cos they think am a girl… However, we have different Stars (levels) on this 2GO i.e from Novice to Master on 2go version 3, and only a Novice to Senior can easily giveup.. So girls pls let keep Chat forward but don’t honour any one’s invitation! Bye. Am Godly-son by name.

4. hollaronke

July 8, 2012 at 1:44 pm

I like dis post.its funny,interesting and educative

5. Henry chima

July 12, 2012 at 1:21 am

Its funny but corruptible. Girls dnt honour any guy’s invitatn dat u dnt knw 2 well. Y did go der @ 1st n’ she’s also a jonsa. Wat a tragedy if its true.

6. Wildcat

July 12, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Kelechi u just hit d nail on d head, as it stands I’m a lil icky bout opening my yahoo messenger, cos I get constant sexual harrasments.

I feel 4 maya though, but as I always say; fear d unforeseen. Cos uv got no clue wat to expect, so y try ur luck @ stuff like dis.

7. winnie

March 11, 2013 at 4:49 am

Earn Instant $4.83 In your Liberty reserve Thru Currency Exchange
    Exchange earnings

for more Details, visit: www . earnextracashfromhome . bravesites . com

Opinion

Who Will Explain Coronavirus To Buhari?

Coronavirus (COVID-19), an exorable doom, threatens life on the planet. It is exorable because it is conquerable. This explains why world leaders are taking the charge to combat this ominous apocalypse. It is a time for leadership from the fore-end; a time when citizens must hear their leaders speak to them; see them take action, making assurances and fulfilling those promises. The counsel, consolation and firm statement of a leader is imperative at this moment.

In Canada, Justin Trudeau, prime minister, despite being in self-isolation and his wife battling the virus after contracting it at a conference in the UK, is leading the fight against this dreaded disease from the fore. He is providing regular updates of the efforts of his government to roll back this scourge, listening and speaking to citizens.

In a popular broadcast on March 13, Justin spoke to citizens of Canada announcing measures to relieve the financial stress brought on by the pandemic on Canadians.

“We do not want any Canadian to have to worry about whether or not they’re going to be able to pay their rent, whether or not they’re going to be able to buy groceries, or care for their kids or elderly family members. We need to make sure that Canadians have the options and the ability to follow the best public health advice and keep themselves safe,” he said.

In the UK, Boris Johnson, prime minister, leads the struggle against coronavirus. He provides updates, alongside health experts, on the measures his government is taking to tackle the spread of the disease. And in the US, Donald Trump is not shying away from speaking to Americans on the virus.

As a matter of fact, President Muhammadu Buhari’s lapses are often easily dismissed by his supporters or by Nigerians who do not know better. Some of them say, ‘’ Why must the president speak when the minister of health and the NCDC DG are already doing that?” This is a contemptible rationalisation of incompetence. Are they suggesting the president lacks the capacitance to understand the issues?’’

Really, I surmise the president has been walled off the ‘’candid cameras’’ over the years by his handlers – not just now – because he lacks the intellectual propensity to understand and discuss incisive issues. The last presidential media chat he held was in 2015 and it was a woeful outing. Also, his non-choreographed media interviews have been abysmal to say the least.

The truth is the unfiltered Buhari is a vacuously gaffing one. On October 14, 2016, standing beside Angela Merkel, German chancellor, Buhari said his wife, Aisha, ‘’belonged in the kitchen and the other room’’, when he was asked to comment on the first lady’s criticism of his government.

On April 18, 2018, at the Commonwealth Business Forum in London, the president said the young citizens of the country he leads are lazy.

“More than 60 per cent of the population is below 30, a lot of them haven’t been to school and they are claiming that Nigeria is an oil producing country, therefore, they should sit and do nothing, and get housing, healthcare, education free,” he said during a panel appearance with world leaders at the forum.

In a February 2016 interview with UK Telegraph, Buhari dropped another clanger. He said the young citizens of his country have a knack for criminality and should not be granted asylum in the UK.

With the Buhari experience, it is indubitable that Nigerians must place a high premium on education — not just certificate – in choosing their leaders. The cost of electing leaders who do not have the intellectual grit to understand and handle matters is far too high.

The senate has asked the president to speak to citizens on this threat, and Nigerians are also asking the president to speak to them. This is an abnormality. Citizens must not beg to hear from their president. But because it is Buhari involved here, we have to beg and even excuse the crass inefficiency and vacuity.

Perhaps, the president is still trying to get a hang of it. I think he has ‘’capable handlers’’ who can break it down to him in ABC.

Mr President, speak to your citizens. The words of a leader are more resounding and assuring than the blandishment of proxies.

PS: Let’s follow all health protocol as advised by the NCDC.

• Wash your hands regularly with soap under running water.

• Cover your mouth and nose properly with handkerchief or tissue paper when sneezing and/or coughing. You may also cough into your elbow if a handkerchief is not available.

• Avoid close contact with anyone showing symptoms of respiratory illness such as coughing and sneezing.

• Avoid self-medication, report to the nearest health facility when you experience any of the above-mentioned symptoms.

Fredrick Nwabufo is a writer and journalist.

Opinion

Sanusi: Once Upon An Emir, By Wole Olaoye

We are all potential Ex-es: ex-student, ex-director, ex-lecturer, ex-senator, ex-governor, ex-president, ex-oba, ex-emir…. The inimitable Zik famously reminded us when he had a spat with Ukpabi Asika that Ex was an inevitable prefix for any human being as was evidenced by the fact that a certain young man who would someday become an ex-Administrator, was the son of an ex-postmaster!

So, what’s so apocalyptic about Sanusi Lamido Sanusi joining the ranks of ex-potentates? Nothing? Everything! Don’t ever think that bell you are hearing is tolling for the former Emir of Kano. No. It could be signalling the beginning of a comprehensive demystification of traditional rulership by plebeians holding tenured political power. In centuries past, no plebeian messed with the traditional institution. The halo of nobility, the sheer vastness of a prince’s hereditary powers, rights and privileges, made the subject know his place.

Yesterday’s subjects are today’s political sovereign. They make no pretences to sophistication. They load a gun to kill a spider. When you dethrone a monarch and then deprive him of his liberty, forcefully banishing him to a place without electricity and potable water, you are playing god. If it was all a public relations Olympics, the calm dignity with which Sanusi handled the humiliation made people all over the world admire his chutzpa and hand him the gold medal. A

Life and its many puzzles! Why is it that for some men and women, “their sleep is taken away unless they cause some to fall”? What do you do about an ego that knows no satiation? As the Preacher in the Good Book timelessly says, “All the rivers flow into the sea, yet the sea is never full… The eye is not satisfied with seeing, nor the ear content with hearing… there is nothing new under the sun”.

The Yoruba have a poem that says just that. “The horse struts and frets and then dies. Being a veteran walker is no immunity to getting lost. Nothing new under the sun. I’ve seen kings reduced to slaves; and servants who mounted the throne. Haven’t my eyes beheld both river and sea? Haven’t I seen a hunchback on spindly legs, and a midget climbing a ladder to add condiment to the soup pot? Tell me, has anyone ever started a building from the roof?

The new Emir of Kano, Alhaji Aminu Ado Bayero, is a cousin of his predecessor. As royal intrigues go, when the dust is settled the sword will be sheathed and brother will embrace brother. That is the way of princes. Eventually, outsiders will realise that all they can ever be in palace politics is outsiders. Our very own Nobel prize winning Kongi was not amused by the scandalous extra-judicial detention of the former emir.

He put the emir’s travail down to his progressive stance: “Emir Sanusi was a one-man EFCC sanitisation squad in the banking system, taking on the powerful corrupters of that institution…. “Most important of all, and most pertinently for the nation, Sanusi was one of the early warning voices against religious extremism whose bitter fruits the nation is currently reaping….

The doors of enlightened society remain wide open to Muhammad Sanusi. As for his current crowing Nemesis, a different kind of gates remain yawning to receive him when, as must, the days of governorship immunity finally come to an end.” Support for Sanusi is not limited to radical voices.

Veteran technocrat Alhaji Ahmed Joda penned a panegyric in support of the ex-emir: “The purpose of this letter to you is not to commiserate with you, because I know that you must have known the likely consequences  of the principled position you have taken. The reality we must face in Northern Nigeria is that the evil forces of feudalism that have kept us in bondage for so long are still there and fighting. You have been the only voice that has been telling us this truth….”

It is easy to kick a man given a pin-fall by fate, or piss on the grave of a fallen warrior. Dead men don’t bite. Real friends show up when you are in life’s valley. Say what you will, I would rather have a friend like Nasir el Rufai when the chips are down. In the midst of all the turmoil, conspiracy theories have surfaced to the effect that the dethronement is but a political sleight-of-hand to propel Sanusi to Nigeria’s presidency in 2023. Caution! Let’s separate the issues. Political succession is totally different from fundamental human rights. Sanusi is not my next president.

My views on power rotation are well documented. The ex-emir will go down in history as a champion for the rights of the poorest of the poor. He advocated for a new Northern Nigeria where old backward practices such as the almajiri system and irresponsible parenting will be abandoned. His was the voice crying out in the desert, lift my people up from the cesspit of penury. The attempt to demonise him after dethronement through various allegations, including one on religious fundamentalism, is dead on arrival. The same fate will befall the vilification of El Rufai on account of his loyalty to Sanusi. Please quote me: Modern challenges can never be resolved with a resort to medieval solutions.

Christopher Hitchens’ Q&A may someday apply to the ex-Kings College boy who’s now an ex-king.

Opinion

Sanusi Dethronement: The North Only Beheads The Bearers Of Truth

By Fredrick Nwabufo

Northern Nigeria is prostrate. It is the axis of uglies – banditry, insurgency, kidnapping, diseases, ignorance, and drug abuse. Alas! The region’s elite are aware of the problems, but look away because the disequilibrious status quo sustains them. What is petrifying, however, is that they maul and clobber at anyone who spits the truth in their faces.

I think, this is the mortal sin of Muhammad Sanusi II, emir of Kano – beyond his politics with Abdullahi Ganduje, governor of Kano.

But wait!

The World Bank says 87 percent of Nigeria’s poor are in the north. And that while poverty is plummeting in the south, it is rocketing in the upper region.

READ: Dethroned Sanusi Will Be Under House Arrest – Ganduje’s Aide

“Poverty in the northern regions of the country has been increasing especially in the north-west zone. Almost half of all poor lived in the north-west and the north accounts for 87 percent of all poor in the country in 2016,’’ the Bretton Woods institution said in its report entitled ‘Advancing social protection in a dynamic Nigeria’ in February 2020.

In August, 2019, the federal government revealed that 1,460 people were killed by bandits in seven months. And that the north-west is the worst-hit by this bloody enterprise. The killings have steadied, expanding in proportion and execution in the region.

In his accustomed manner, Sanusi recently vocalised these depressing figures of retrogression in the north – as regards the World Bank report — earning himself praise from progressive Nigerians and reprimand from the usual suspects — those stuck in the cesspit of bigotry.

Also, the gadfly emir of Kano, whom I regard as the John the Baptist of the north for his vociferous condemnation of this status quo, is alone in his advocacy against irresponsible polygamy, Al-majiri and child marriage – practices the northern elite espouse. He is the face of a progressive north; the northerner of the new age.

As a matter of fact, on different occasions he had complained about the northern elite whom he said wanted to silence him for speaking the truth about the region.

‘’Our colleagues and compatriots among the elite do not like statistics. Numbers are disturbing. I recently gave a speech in which I said the north-east and north-west of Nigeria are the poorest parts of the country. This simple statement of fact has generated so much heat; the noise has yet to die down. The response to this speech has been a barrage of personal attacks and insults aimed at silencing any voices that dare shine the light on the society to which we are saying Bring Back our Girls,’’ he said at a lecture held to commemorate the Chibok girls abduction.

READ: Sanusi Breaks Silence After Dethronement As Emir Of Kano (Video)

And I guess they can only take the throne away from him but cannot take away his royalty in the community of decent humans. Really, I believe the emir would rather give up his throne than be gagged by the shareholders of iniquity.

To say the least, Sanusi’s dethroning was not unexpected. Ganduje had always shown his hand in this plot. Really, the emir of Kano never hid his dislike for him. But what is there to like about a governor who was allegedly caught on camera stuffing wads of dollars into his babariga? In the build-up to the 2019 governorship election in the state, the emir was not shy in expressing his disapproval to Ganduje’s candidature.

So, Ganduje, who considers Sanusi a ‘’loud mouth’’, plotted a bitter revenge after he was re-elected. He had moved to remove the emir in 2018 but for the intervention of some ‘’higher powers’’. However, he whittle-down the power of the emir by creating new emirates from his domain. He was not done though. He rustled-up allegations, set up probe panels – all in the desperation to embarrass Sanusi.

But Sanusi was still talking.

Really, one of the most abrasive places to exist is in the circle of non-progressives. You talk different, think different or act different, they will feel threatened. Even when you try to clown around; the aboriginal clowns will still feel threatened because you do not look the part.

I think, Emir Sanusi is light-years away from the people he is dealing with in Kano government. He is needed more at the top echelon of government where he can contribute more meaningfully to the development of Nigeria.

Northern Nigeria is not ready for an emir like Sanusi. He is ahead of his time.

Fredrick Nwabufo is a writer and journalist.