Connect with us

National News

US Mourns Victims of Colorado Cinema Massacre

Published

on

A candlelit vigil has been held in Aurora, Colorado, as the US begins to mourn the people killed by a gunman at a showing of the new Batman film, the Dark Knight Rises.

US President Barack Obama ordered flags flown at half mast.

The Suspect, James Holmes

A gunman wearing a full suit of tactical body armor, a helmet and a gas mask opened fire at a packed midnight showing of the Dark Knight Rises in a Denver suburb on Friday, killing 12 people after setting off two smoke bombs in the dark theater.

Armed with an assault rifle, a shotgun and a pistol, the black-clad gunman wounded 58 others in the shooting rampage at at a mall in Aurora, turning the movie screening into a chaotic scene of dead or bleeding victims, horrified screams and pleas for help, witnesses said.

Officers who arrived on scene within 90 seconds of the first emergency calls quickly took suspect James Eagan Holmes, 24, into custody in a parking lot behind the cinema, where he surrendered without a fight, Aurora Police Chief Dan Oates said.

He will appear at Arapahoe County District Court, in nearby Centennial, Colorado, on Monday at 09:30 local time (15:30 GMT).

Hundreds of mourners gathered in Aurora for the vigil.

Candles and flowers were left on the lawn. One letter read: “To all the innocent souls… This is for you. We will never forget. This is Aurora.”

At the Queen of Peace Roman Catholic church, Denver Archbishop Samuel Aquila told mourners: “Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted. The heart of our Father is stronger than the bullets that killed 12 people.”

In a briefing at the end of the day in Colorado, an emotional Governor John Hickenlooper confirmed that the casualty figure had been revised down one, to 70 people killed or injured.

Thirty people remained in hospital, Mr Hickenlooper said, with 11 of those in a critical condition.

“It’s an act that defies description. Everyone I’ve talked to all day is filled with an anger that can’t find focus,” he said.

-BBC

Continue Reading
7 Comments

7 Comments

  1. hotman

    July 21, 2012 at 2:42 pm

    All involved in the act,must be shot dead.Islam will never stop sacrificing blood to that thier useless moon they call god hmm…

  2. Lora

    July 21, 2012 at 2:51 pm

    @Hotman (u really shud be cald coldman)Ur illiteracy is 1st class!U r such a retard…imbecile!

  3. ceejay

    July 21, 2012 at 3:06 pm

    May their gentle souls rest in perfect peace…..
    From d good people of Nigeria,we extend our condolence to d victims families,d state of colorado & d united states of America

  4. kiot

    July 21, 2012 at 3:51 pm

    The police arrived in 90 seconds. Here will be 90 munites!!!

  5. h

    July 21, 2012 at 4:44 pm

    @hotman, u re really an illiterate. i dont blame you, so what brooght islam in to this again? or cant you read? is people like you that dont want peace to reign in this world. Nawah for you, i pity you my brother.

  6. aydotaone

    July 21, 2012 at 5:43 pm

    I imagined hw much pple dis man would av killed if it were to be in Nigeria because I trust d Nigeria Policeman, they wil neva show face in 90mins talkless of 90secs.May d souls of d departd rest in PP

  7. Darlington

    July 21, 2012 at 9:46 pm

    May d souls of d dpartur rest in peac if na 9ja police 4 hid 4 2 hours toless of 9o seconds is a pity.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National News

WTO: Launch Diplomatic Offensive Against Trump, Obiano Tells Buhari

Published

on

Governor Willie Obiano
WTO: Launch Diplomatic Offensive Against Trump, Obiano Tells Buhari

Governor Willie Obiano

Governor of Anambra State, Willie Obiano has called on President Muhammadu Buhari to deploy all diplomatic moves to ensure Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala emerge as the next Director-General of the World Trade Organisation.

Obiano urged President Buhari not to allow US President Donald Trump to frustrate Okonjo-Iweala’s emergence.

Obiano said this in a statement titled, ‘WTO DG: A Call on President Buhari and African leaders to step up diplomatic offensive’, signed by the state Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, C-Don Adinuba, in Awka, on Thursday.

Also Read: WTO: Gov Ikpeazu Drums Support For Okonjo-Iweala’s Appointment

He asked Buhari to mobilise African and European Union leaders to back Okonjo-Iweala.

“All that is needed is a great diplomatic offensive before the formal announcement of the winner on November 9,” he said.

“The people and government of Anambra State, therefore, call upon President Muhammadu Buhari and other African leaders to immediately set in motion the machinery to get the United States to do the right thing by supporting the most qualified and the most popular candidate,” p[art of the statement read.

Continue Reading

National News

BREAKING: Lagos Panel Of Enquiry Visits Lekki Toll Gate

Published

on

CCTV At Lekki Toll Gate Was Not Removed -Lekki Concession Company Says
BREAKING: Lagos Panel Of Enquiry Visits Lekki Toll Gate

Lekki Toll Gate

As the hearing of cases of police brutality in the State continues, the Lagos State judicial panel of inquiry is currently at the Lekki Tollgate.

The panel’s visit is believed to be aimed at understanding the Lekki Toll Gate shooting that left some protesters dead and injured on Tuesday, October 20, 2020.

The panel is reportedly led by the Chairman, Retired Justice Doris Okuwobi.

Also Read: Fani-Kayode Slams Fashola Over Discovery Of Hidden Camera At Lekki Toll Gate

According to reports, the panel is interrogating Lekki Tollgate officials about the condition of their cameras and other equipment.

The Managing Director of Lekki Concession Company, Mr. Yomi Omomuwansa reportedly took the panel round the facilities.

Mr. Omomuuwansa stated that most of their equipment were damaged as they were set ablaze by hoodlums following the shooting of EndSARS protesters at the toll gate.

Also with the panel during the inspection of Lekki Tollgate is Rinu Odulala and Temitope Majekodunmi, the youth representatives on the judicial panel.

 

Continue Reading

National News

BREAKING: IGP Replies Amnesty, Says Policemen Didn’t Shoot #EndSARS Protesters

Published

on

Why Nigerians Protest Creation Of SWAT Police
BREAKING: IGP Replies Amnesty, Says Policemen Didn’t Shoot #EndSARS Protesters

IGP Adamu

The Inspector-General of Police (IGP) Mohammed Adamu has denied reports by global rights organisation, Amnesty International, that police officer shot at #EndSARS protesters.

The Police chief expressed that Amnesty’s report of October 21, 2020, that police personnel shot at peaceful protesters as “untrue, misleading and contrary to all available empirical evidence.”

This was contained in a statement on Friday titled, ‘EndSARS Protests: Police Personnel Were Professional And Exercised Maximum Restraints – IGP Tells Amnesty Int’l’.

Also Read: Buhari Phones Oba Of Lagos On His Birthday

Adamu explained that contrary to reports, police officers “acted professionally, exercised commendable restraints and some paid the supreme price for peace during the recent protests and ensuing violence in some parts of the country.”

He revealed that 22 police officers died during the protests, while 205 police stations and formations were damaged by a section of the protesters.

Continue Reading

Trending