Connect with us

Uncategorized

Ogun PDP crisis not yet over as faction goes to Supreme Court    

THE legal efforts to end the crisis rocking the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Ogun State has shifted to the Supreme Court with a faction praying the apex court to stay the execution of the Appeal Court’s order of June 25, 2012.
The appellants ar…

Published

on

pdp_logo__NEWTHE legal efforts to end the crisis rocking the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Ogun State has shifted to the Supreme Court with a faction praying the apex court to stay the execution of the Appeal Court’s order of June 25, 2012.

The appellants argued that the stay on the execution of the Federal High Court’s judgment was being misinterpreted to cause further chaos in the party.

In a motion on notice filed by Chief Dayo Soremi and two others for the Harmonised Committee, the appellants alleged that the Appeal Court’s order had been “mischievously interpreted” by the party’s National Secretary, Olagunsoye Oyinlola and the state’s Independent Electoral Commission (OGSIEC) in a manner aimed at denying members of the party, who are legitimate candidates in the July 21 Local council election, from participating in the exercise.

Justice Charles Archibong of the Federal High Court, Lagos had in a judgment delivered on January 27, 2012, upheld among others, the validity of the Dayo Soremi-led Harmonised Executive Committee as the authentic leadership body of the party in the state, a committee succeeded by the Bayo Dayo-led Executive Committee.

But the Court of Appeal sitting in Lagos in its June 25, 2012, order stayed further execution of the judgment and any contempt proceedings that arose from it, pending the determination of an appeal against the judgment by the PDP and some of its national leaders.

The other appellant in the suit is Taiwo Abisekan, while the PDP, the Inspector-General of Police (IGP), Abubakar Kawu Baraje, Tajudeen Oladipo, Uche Scondus, Olusola Ige and Senator Monsurudeen Osolake are named as respondents.

The appellants prayed the apex court to restrain the PDP, its agents, officers and members from continuing to act in disobedience of valid and subsisting orders of the Federal High Court and in criminal contempt of the said court under the guise and misinterpretation of the Appeal Court’s order in the case No: CA/L/38m/2012 pending the determination of the appeal.

In the application, which was predicated on seven grounds, the appellants argued that the order by the Appeal Court had been misinterpreted by the PDP’s National Secretary, who allegedly directed the OGSIEC to reject the list of candidates for the July 21, 2012 council polls, who emerged from the primaries conducted by the party’s valid state Executive Committee led by Dayo.

They argued that the Appeal Court’s order ought to be stayed since its jurisdiction to make the said order of June 25 was being questioned in their current appeal before the apex court.

Meanwhile, the PDP National Secretariat has petitioned the Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Justice Muhammed Musdapher, over an alleged plan by the Prince Buruji Kashamu-led faction to obtain a “Black market” orders from Justice Charles Archibong of the Federal High Court, Lagos against former President Olusegun Obasanjo’s within the PDP and the state’s electoral commission (OGSIEC) today.

According to Chairman of the Caretaker Committee of the party in the state, Ireti Oniyide, reliable information available to the party, indicated that this was despite a query Justice Musdapher had earlier issued to Archibong based on a first petition by the Obasanjo’s faction four weeks ago.

Oniyide told reporters in Abeokuta yesterday that the petition signed by Oyinlola was aimed at ensuring that “justice is done transparently” and, therefore, called on Musdapher to “prevent Justice Archibong from carrying out his threat on the PDP, OGSIEC and others.”

Uncategorized

Kwara Governor, Abdulrazaq Declares 24-hour Curfew

Published

on

Kwara Governor, Abdulrazaq Declares 24-hour Curfew

Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq

Following the outbreak of violence in some quarters of the State, Governor Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq of Kwara State has declared a 24-hour Curfew on the state starting on Saturday.

Governor Abdulrazaq made this known in a statewide broadcast on Friday night.

Recall that on Friday some residents of Ilorin, the Kwara State capital stormed the warehouses where the government stored COVID-19 palliatives expected to be distributed to citizens.

Also Read: BREAKING: Lagos Government Relaxes Curfew

The warehouses, located at the cargo warehouse of the International airport in Ilorin as well as the agro-mall located in the Sango area of the state were totally ransacked as residents struggled to pack as much food items as they could.

Abdulrazaq said, “Lives are being threatened. Businesses are being looted. Public properties have been targeted. This is unacceptable. It is not who we are.

“To curb these acts of criminalities, I hereby declare a 24-hour curfew in Ilorin metropolis from midnight today October 23rd, 2020. This is in line with Sections 1, 2, and 4 of the Public Order Act Chapter 382 Laws of Federation of Nigeria 2004.

“People are urged to stay indoors in compliance with this curfew. This will be reviewed as we watch developments.

“Our observation is that what has happened today is not a protest, it cannot be defended under any guide, it was a pure act of criminality as some people are hiding under the guise of nationwide protest.”

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Lagos Policemen Brutalise PUNCH Journalists For Covering #EndSARS Protest

Published

on

Two PUNCH journalists, Femi Dawodu and Segun Odunayo, were on Wednesday brutalised by policemen guarding the Lagos State House of Assembly in Ikeja.

The duo had gone to cover events around the Alausa area, a major demonstration ground of the #EndSARS protesters calling for a total overhaul of the Nigeria Police Force.

According to the PUNCH, both Odunayo and Dawodu were recording a live video of activities in the area when the policemen accosted them and ordered them to stop the recording.

After showing the policemen their identity cards, indicating that they are journalists covering #EndSARS protests and monitoring compliance with the government-imposed curfew, the policemen became annoyed and pounced on them.

Odunayo said the policemen tortured them for four hours, adding that they stripped them of their clothes, laid them on the floor, beat them with a stick and guns, and took a video recording of them while torturing them at the Lagos State House of Assembly.

Odunayo said, “Femi and I were at the Secretariat in Alausa around 7 am and were doing a live video of the activities going on in the area. We were heading back to the expressway when a group of armed policemen accosted us at the Lagos State House of Assembly roundabout and immediately collected our phones. We showed them our ID cards, but they refused to let us go.

“What got the policemen annoyed was that we saw them using a stick and a rubber to beat a young man, and during the live video, they heard me saying that they were beating someone. So, after they arrested us, they tortured us and demanded that we should do another live video denying the statement, but we refused.

“Each Time we refused, they slapped us, used a stick to beat us, used the butt of their guns to hit our heads and bodies after stripping us of our clothes. All they wanted was for us to do another live broadcast to claim that we lied and we didn’t because we told the truth.”

Dawodu said it took the intervention of the state Police Public Relations Officer, Muyiwa Adejobi before they were released at the Alausa Police Station, adding that before their release, the policemen took their details, including their addresses, took a video record of them and threatened to go after them if any negative report was published about what happened.

He said, “The policemen were transferring the aggression of what is happening regarding the #EndSARS protest on us. They later took us to the Divisional Police Station in Alausa, and if not for the DPO, the policemen guarding the LSHA that arrested us would have done more grievous things to us.

“The PPRO and the DPO later spoke with them, and we were released.

“But despite his intervention, we were told to write statements. They collected our details, address, took video recordings of us making false statements during the torture, and threatened to use it to blackmail and go after us if we end up doing any bad report against them.”

Sahara Reporters

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

CCTV At Lekki Toll Gate Was Not Removed -Lekki Concession Company Says

Published

on

Lekki Concession Company in their press release has debunked the rumour that the Lekki Toll Gate CCTV camera was not removed.

Lekki, Ikoyi tolls will rise on February 1 – LCC - Ivory NG

According to the press release by the company which condemns the unlawful killings of the peaceful protesters said no one gave the order for the removal of the Closed Circuit Television System as the CCTV is still intact as of the time of this report.

Speaking further, the concession company revealed that if the CCTV was to be removed, it would require the use of machinery to reach the heights that they have been installed.

Read the release report below;

Image

Continue Reading

Trending

Uncategorized

Ogun PDP crisis not yet over as faction goes to Supreme Court    

THE legal efforts to end the crisis rocking the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Ogun State has shifted to the Supreme Court with a faction praying the apex court to stay the execution of the Appeal Court’s order of June 25, 2012.
The appellants ar…

Published

on

pdp_logo__NEWTHE legal efforts to end the crisis rocking the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Ogun State has shifted to the Supreme Court with a faction praying the apex court to stay the execution of the Appeal Court’s order of June 25, 2012.

The appellants argued that the stay on the execution of the Federal High Court’s judgment was being misinterpreted to cause further chaos in the party.

In a motion on notice filed by Chief Dayo Soremi and two others for the Harmonised Committee, the appellants alleged that the Appeal Court’s order had been “mischievously interpreted” by the party’s National Secretary, Olagunsoye Oyinlola and the state’s Independent Electoral Commission (OGSIEC) in a manner aimed at denying members of the party, who are legitimate candidates in the July 21 Local council election, from participating in the exercise.

Justice Charles Archibong of the Federal High Court, Lagos had in a judgment delivered on January 27, 2012, upheld among others, the validity of the Dayo Soremi-led Harmonised Executive Committee as the authentic leadership body of the party in the state, a committee succeeded by the Bayo Dayo-led Executive Committee.

But the Court of Appeal sitting in Lagos in its June 25, 2012, order stayed further execution of the judgment and any contempt proceedings that arose from it, pending the determination of an appeal against the judgment by the PDP and some of its national leaders.

The other appellant in the suit is Taiwo Abisekan, while the PDP, the Inspector-General of Police (IGP), Abubakar Kawu Baraje, Tajudeen Oladipo, Uche Scondus, Olusola Ige and Senator Monsurudeen Osolake are named as respondents.

The appellants prayed the apex court to restrain the PDP, its agents, officers and members from continuing to act in disobedience of valid and subsisting orders of the Federal High Court and in criminal contempt of the said court under the guise and misinterpretation of the Appeal Court’s order in the case No: CA/L/38m/2012 pending the determination of the appeal.

In the application, which was predicated on seven grounds, the appellants argued that the order by the Appeal Court had been misinterpreted by the PDP’s National Secretary, who allegedly directed the OGSIEC to reject the list of candidates for the July 21, 2012 council polls, who emerged from the primaries conducted by the party’s valid state Executive Committee led by Dayo.

They argued that the Appeal Court’s order ought to be stayed since its jurisdiction to make the said order of June 25 was being questioned in their current appeal before the apex court.

Meanwhile, the PDP National Secretariat has petitioned the Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Justice Muhammed Musdapher, over an alleged plan by the Prince Buruji Kashamu-led faction to obtain a “Black market” orders from Justice Charles Archibong of the Federal High Court, Lagos against former President Olusegun Obasanjo’s within the PDP and the state’s electoral commission (OGSIEC) today.

According to Chairman of the Caretaker Committee of the party in the state, Ireti Oniyide, reliable information available to the party, indicated that this was despite a query Justice Musdapher had earlier issued to Archibong based on a first petition by the Obasanjo’s faction four weeks ago.

Oniyide told reporters in Abeokuta yesterday that the petition signed by Oyinlola was aimed at ensuring that “justice is done transparently” and, therefore, called on Musdapher to “prevent Justice Archibong from carrying out his threat on the PDP, OGSIEC and others.”

Uncategorized

Kwara Governor, Abdulrazaq Declares 24-hour Curfew

Published

on

Kwara Governor, Abdulrazaq Declares 24-hour Curfew

Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq

Following the outbreak of violence in some quarters of the State, Governor Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq of Kwara State has declared a 24-hour Curfew on the state starting on Saturday.

Governor Abdulrazaq made this known in a statewide broadcast on Friday night.

Recall that on Friday some residents of Ilorin, the Kwara State capital stormed the warehouses where the government stored COVID-19 palliatives expected to be distributed to citizens.

Also Read: BREAKING: Lagos Government Relaxes Curfew

The warehouses, located at the cargo warehouse of the International airport in Ilorin as well as the agro-mall located in the Sango area of the state were totally ransacked as residents struggled to pack as much food items as they could.

Abdulrazaq said, “Lives are being threatened. Businesses are being looted. Public properties have been targeted. This is unacceptable. It is not who we are.

“To curb these acts of criminalities, I hereby declare a 24-hour curfew in Ilorin metropolis from midnight today October 23rd, 2020. This is in line with Sections 1, 2, and 4 of the Public Order Act Chapter 382 Laws of Federation of Nigeria 2004.

“People are urged to stay indoors in compliance with this curfew. This will be reviewed as we watch developments.

“Our observation is that what has happened today is not a protest, it cannot be defended under any guide, it was a pure act of criminality as some people are hiding under the guise of nationwide protest.”

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Lagos Policemen Brutalise PUNCH Journalists For Covering #EndSARS Protest

Published

on

Two PUNCH journalists, Femi Dawodu and Segun Odunayo, were on Wednesday brutalised by policemen guarding the Lagos State House of Assembly in Ikeja.

The duo had gone to cover events around the Alausa area, a major demonstration ground of the #EndSARS protesters calling for a total overhaul of the Nigeria Police Force.

According to the PUNCH, both Odunayo and Dawodu were recording a live video of activities in the area when the policemen accosted them and ordered them to stop the recording.

After showing the policemen their identity cards, indicating that they are journalists covering #EndSARS protests and monitoring compliance with the government-imposed curfew, the policemen became annoyed and pounced on them.

Odunayo said the policemen tortured them for four hours, adding that they stripped them of their clothes, laid them on the floor, beat them with a stick and guns, and took a video recording of them while torturing them at the Lagos State House of Assembly.

Odunayo said, “Femi and I were at the Secretariat in Alausa around 7 am and were doing a live video of the activities going on in the area. We were heading back to the expressway when a group of armed policemen accosted us at the Lagos State House of Assembly roundabout and immediately collected our phones. We showed them our ID cards, but they refused to let us go.

“What got the policemen annoyed was that we saw them using a stick and a rubber to beat a young man, and during the live video, they heard me saying that they were beating someone. So, after they arrested us, they tortured us and demanded that we should do another live video denying the statement, but we refused.

“Each Time we refused, they slapped us, used a stick to beat us, used the butt of their guns to hit our heads and bodies after stripping us of our clothes. All they wanted was for us to do another live broadcast to claim that we lied and we didn’t because we told the truth.”

Dawodu said it took the intervention of the state Police Public Relations Officer, Muyiwa Adejobi before they were released at the Alausa Police Station, adding that before their release, the policemen took their details, including their addresses, took a video record of them and threatened to go after them if any negative report was published about what happened.

He said, “The policemen were transferring the aggression of what is happening regarding the #EndSARS protest on us. They later took us to the Divisional Police Station in Alausa, and if not for the DPO, the policemen guarding the LSHA that arrested us would have done more grievous things to us.

“The PPRO and the DPO later spoke with them, and we were released.

“But despite his intervention, we were told to write statements. They collected our details, address, took video recordings of us making false statements during the torture, and threatened to use it to blackmail and go after us if we end up doing any bad report against them.”

Sahara Reporters

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

CCTV At Lekki Toll Gate Was Not Removed -Lekki Concession Company Says

Published

on

Lekki Concession Company in their press release has debunked the rumour that the Lekki Toll Gate CCTV camera was not removed.

Lekki, Ikoyi tolls will rise on February 1 – LCC - Ivory NG

According to the press release by the company which condemns the unlawful killings of the peaceful protesters said no one gave the order for the removal of the Closed Circuit Television System as the CCTV is still intact as of the time of this report.

Speaking further, the concession company revealed that if the CCTV was to be removed, it would require the use of machinery to reach the heights that they have been installed.

Read the release report below;

Image

Continue Reading

Trending