Connect with us

National News

Saudi Arabia man beheaded for practicing witchcraft and sorcery

Published

on

A Saudi man has been beheaded on charges of sorcery and witchcraft, the state news agency said on Tuesday citing a statement from the Interior Ministry.

“Mareeh bin Ali bin Issa al-Asiri (Saudi national) practised witchcraft and sorcery, and was in possession of books and talismans from which he learnt to harm God’s worshippers and admitted adultery with two women,” said the statement.

The execution took place in the southern Najran province, SPA reported.

Human rights groups have repeatedly condemned executions for witchcraft in Saudi Arabia.

Last year the world’s top oil exporter, where judges follow the strict Wahhabi school of Islam and decide cases without reference to a written penal code, beheaded a man and a woman for witchcraft in two separate cases.

Mr Asiri was beheaded after his sentence was upheld by the country’s highest courts, the Saudi news agency website said.

No details were given of what he was found guilty of beyond the charges of witchcraft and sorcery.

Amnesty International says the country does not formally classify sorcery as a capital offence.

In 2010, a Lebanese television presenter of a popular fortune-telling programme was arrested while on pilgrimage to Saudi Arabia.

Though sentenced to death, after pressure from his government and human rights groups, he was freed by the Saudi Supreme Court, which that he had not harmed anyone.

Continue Reading
3 Comments

3 Comments

  1. Aperebo steve

    June 20, 2012 at 1:27 pm

    Do u know u can predict your future

  2. Mutana faruk

    June 20, 2012 at 5:16 pm

    Law is law and it must not bend for any man. Nigeria’s laws are cash and carry they always work when it comes to poor people.

  3. Big man

    September 30, 2012 at 7:39 am

    Do u cal dat law, dat is wickedness & lack of knowledge. If it is practice in Nigeria, 98% of muslim wil b killed cos they all use talisman and charms.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National News

James Bond actor, Sean Connery dies at 90

Published

on

James Bond actor, Sean Connery dies at 90

Scottish actor, Sir Sean Connery, has died at the age of 90.

He was best known for his portrayal of James Bond, being the first to bring the role to the big screen and appearing in seven of the spy thrillers.

He was largely regarded as being the best actor to have played 007 in the long-running franchise, often being named as such in polls. His acting career spanned decades and his many awards including an Oscar, two Bafta awards and three Golden Globes.

Sir Sean’s other films included The Hunt for Red October, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and The Rock.

Continue Reading

National News

Gov Ayade Reviews Curfew In Cross River

Published

on

Gov Ayade Reviews Curfew In Cross River
Gov Ayade Reviews Curfew In Cross River

Ben Ayade

Governor of Cross River State, Ben Ayade has relaxed the curfew in the state from 4 pm-6 am to 6 am-6 pm.

This was contained in a statement signed by the Governor’s Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Christain Ita on Saturday.

The new time is scheduled to take effect from Saturday, October 31st.

Also Read: Taraba Govt Sets Up Task Force To Recover Looted Items

Recall that following the hijacking of the peaceful protest against police brutality in the state by hoodlums, the state governor, imposed a 24-hour curfew on the state, on Friday, October 23, 2020.

“The state governor, His Excellency, Sir Ben Ayade has reviewed the curfew imposed on the state and has directed that with effect from Saturday, October 31, 2020, curfew hours will now be between the hours of 6 pm and 6 am daily.

“Restriction of movement is hereby relaxed from 6 am to 6 pm,” the statement added.

 

Continue Reading

National News

El-Rufai Meets Youth Leaders, Condemns Attack On Police Officers

Published

on

El-Rufai Meets Youth Leaders, Condemns Attack On Police Officers
El-Rufai Meets Youth Leaders, Condemns Attack On Police Officers

Governor El-rufai

Governor of Kaduna State, Nasir El-rufai has condemned the attack on police officers and police barracks in the State following the outbreak of violence that trailed the #EndSARS protest.

He made this remark when he met with youth leaders from the 23 Local Government Areas of the state on Friday.

At the event, he appealed to them not to engage in any act of violence or looting.

El-Rufai vowed to prosecute those behind the looting and threat of peace in Kaduna South and Chikun Local Government Areas according to the law.

Also Read: Taraba Govt Sets Up Task Force To Recover Looted Items

“You cannot condemn an entire profession because of the misconduct of a few. SARS is just a small unit of the Nigerian Police Force, and even among SARS, they are not all bad,” he said

“Yes, some of them might have been quite bad and killed many people, but that should not be used to frame the police in a manner that people feel justified to attack and kill policemen.

“I have seen a video where a policeman was attacked and burnt to death. For what? That policeman is a human being, creation from God, he has children, and he has a family.

“Who will look after them? The Nigerian Police is the only police we have, it Is our collective duty as citizens, as leaders to come together and help the police to be better.”

Continue Reading

Trending