Connect with us

Metro News

Kidnapping: Court Jails Pastor, two others for 20 years each in Delta

Published

on

JUSTICE T.O. Diai of a High Court in Ogwashi-Uku, Delta State, on Friday sentenced a Pastor and two others to a cummulative 60 years for kidnapping one Anthony Ogbolumani.

Diai pronounced the three accused persons guilty and sentenced them to seven years imprisonment each for conspiracy, 10 years each for kidnapping and three years each for demanding N20m as ransom.

However, the court said the jail terms would run concurrently.

Those convicted were Ifeanyi Obiakpani, an uncle to the victim, who the prosecution claimed masterminded the kidnap, Peter Okafor, a Pastor and Christian Eze .

According to police prosecution, led by Marcel Okoh, former Director of Public Prosecutions, the offence was committed on December 21, 2009 at 15 Umuagu Quarters, Asaba.

Obiakpani was said to have conspired with others to seize Ogbolumani and was thereafter taken away to Awka where he was kept before the State Security Service rescued him.

During trial, the three accused persons had denied the allegations against them, urging the court to discharge them for lack of sufficient evidence.

But Diai held that the prosecution had convinced the court that the ingredients of the offence in the three count charge of which the convicts were standing trial since 2010 had been “proved beyond all reasonable doubt’’.

-Punch

Continue Reading
3 Comments

3 Comments

  1. WAZObia

    June 19, 2012 at 12:29 am

    Man of devil (Pastor) what are u looking for, idiot, useless greedy thing. So u are in the business of kidnapping. Very wicked soul and pretending to ur congregation that u are man of god, though i dont blame u all of u are the same. O’le. Orishirishi

  2. Samuel

    June 19, 2012 at 6:02 am

    @ WAZObia, ur comiting a falacy of hasty generalization. Be specific n’ stop generalizing ur words 2 all pastors

  3. Best Ben

    June 19, 2012 at 8:07 am

    @ Samuel?y ar u attacking Wasobia,U fellow?na questn i d ask oo.He jst air his views.b4 nw do u knw that Pastor’s name wil ever be mention in a kidnapping saga?u ppl that are defending them dnt knw wot this guys can do.they hav various ways of kidnaping even frm their members pocket nt only when u adopt somebody.ok?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro News

Nigeria’s Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter

Published

on

Nigeria's Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter

Communications minister, Isa Pantami

Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Isa Ali Pantami, has announced the loss of his 13-year-old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali.

The Minister took to his Twitter account on Monday night to announce this sad news.

Pantami stated that the funeral prayer for the deceased will be conducted in Abuja on Tuesday at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2.

Also Read: Gunmen Evict NIDCOM Staff From Office On Minister’s Order

The post by the minister announcing the incident reads; “Inna lil Laahi wa inna ilaiHi Rajiun! My 13-year old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali (Amal) passed away just a moment ago.

“Due to some necessities, funeral prayer tomorrow at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2, immediately after Zuhr prayer In sha Allah. May Allah forgive and be merciful to her.”

 

Continue Reading

Metro News

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Published

on

Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu

Governor Wike

Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State has imposed a 24-hour total curfew for two weeks on some parts of Port-Harcourt, the state capital.

The Governor made this known during a broadcast on Sunday where he noted that the curfew begins from Monday 23rd November 2020.

The statement noted that the upsurge noticed by the state government in cases of cult activities, other forms of violence, and killings is responsible for the curfew.

Also Read: Umahi Unhappy With PDP Because Atiku Picked Peter Obi – Wike

Wike in the statement declared that the entire area along and around the Okoro-nodu flyover up to a one-kilometre radius from Saint Emmanuel Anglican Church, Rumuokoro, extending to the Rumuodomaya Slaughter and Local Government daily market will be affected.

He added that no form of trading, human or vehicular movement is allowed in the affected areas until further notice.

Continue Reading

Metro News

Zamfara Governor Secures Release Of 11 Kidnapped Victims

Published

on

Zamfara Governor Secures Release Of 11 Kidnapped Victims

Bello Matawalle

Governor of Zamafara, Bello Matawalle has announced the release of 11 kidnapped victims.

According to reports, ten of the victims were male and a female from Bukkuyum Local Government Area.

Matawalle received the rescued kidnapped victims on Saturday night at the Government House in Gusau, the state capital.

The Commissioner of Security and Home Affairs, Abubakar Muhammed Dauran revealed that the victims were released without paying a ransom.

Also Read: Nigeria still needs SARS, Zamfara gov, Matawalle insists

He stated they were released as a result of the peace initiative and stakeholders meeting summoned by Governor Matawalle with all critical stakeholders from Bukkuyum Local Government Area on Thursday.

Governor Matawalle assured that his administration will not rest on its oars until total peace is achieved in all parts of the state.

 

Continue Reading

Trending