Connect with us


NCC queries MTN over poor services

A QUERY was yesterday issued to MTN Nigeria Communications Ltd by the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) over poor services provided the public by the former.
MTN was asked to explain why it should not be visited with appropriate sanctions for t…



A QUERY was yesterday issued to MTN Nigeria Communications Ltd by the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) over poor services provided the public by the former.

MTN was asked to explain why it should not be visited with appropriate sanctions for the unbearable poor quality of services in Lagos and its environs.

In the query signed by both NCC’s Directors of Technical Standards and Network Integrity, as well as Legal Services, Dr. Balarabe Sani and Josephine Amuwa, NCC also claimed that MTN’s Switch in Lagos has been down for some time and no information as to what happened was sent across by the telecommunications firm to either the Commission or an appeal to its subscribers.

“It has also been brought to our notice that the MTN Switch in Lagos is down and MTN has neither informed its subscribers, nor communicated this unfortunate development to the Commission as required”, they stated.

The NCC asked MTN to, within 24 hours, furnish the Commission with a detailed report on the developments and efforts being made to urgently address the problem.

“Please note that failure to respond as directed might result in the Commission invoking its powers to sanction MTN appropriately”, it said.

The letter further explained that subscribers in Lagos and its environs have experienced difficulties in the use of their phones on the MTN network, stressing that upon investigations by the Commission, it was discovered that the company’s switch was down, a situation which ought to be communicated to the Commission and brought to the knowledge of the subscribers by the company.

NCC affirmed that the query to MTN was in line with NCC’s commitment to enforcing all actions as prescribed by a new regulation on quality of service in the networks.

But reacting to the development, the General Manager, Corporate Communications for MTN Nigeria, Funmi Omogbenigun, said the telecommunications outfit sent messages to both the regulator and the its teeming subscribers.

According to her: “This report from the NCC comes as a surprise to us. A fire incident at our Ikoyi switch took place on the evening of May 1. It was quickly rectified and we realised that it would take a few hours for the full impact of the resolution to be felt by all those who were affected.

“A letter was sent to the NCC on May 2 informing them of the incident. We posted notification to our customers on our Twitter and Facebook pages. We also sent out radio announcements and SMS messages to affected customers. Please note that we deployed the fastest platforms of communication with our customers.

“In fact, we sent follow-up SMS today to alert our customers that service has been fully restored. All our messages to our customers contained an explanation and full apologies”.

She informed that service was fully restored yesterday, “and we use this medium to apologise to our customers once more”.


Kwara Governor, Abdulrazaq Declares 24-hour Curfew



Kwara Governor, Abdulrazaq Declares 24-hour Curfew

Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq

Following the outbreak of violence in some quarters of the State, Governor Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq of Kwara State has declared a 24-hour Curfew on the state starting on Saturday.

Governor Abdulrazaq made this known in a statewide broadcast on Friday night.

Recall that on Friday some residents of Ilorin, the Kwara State capital stormed the warehouses where the government stored COVID-19 palliatives expected to be distributed to citizens.

Also Read: BREAKING: Lagos Government Relaxes Curfew

The warehouses, located at the cargo warehouse of the International airport in Ilorin as well as the agro-mall located in the Sango area of the state were totally ransacked as residents struggled to pack as much food items as they could.

Abdulrazaq said, “Lives are being threatened. Businesses are being looted. Public properties have been targeted. This is unacceptable. It is not who we are.

“To curb these acts of criminalities, I hereby declare a 24-hour curfew in Ilorin metropolis from midnight today October 23rd, 2020. This is in line with Sections 1, 2, and 4 of the Public Order Act Chapter 382 Laws of Federation of Nigeria 2004.

“People are urged to stay indoors in compliance with this curfew. This will be reviewed as we watch developments.

“Our observation is that what has happened today is not a protest, it cannot be defended under any guide, it was a pure act of criminality as some people are hiding under the guise of nationwide protest.”

Continue Reading


Lagos Policemen Brutalise PUNCH Journalists For Covering #EndSARS Protest



Two PUNCH journalists, Femi Dawodu and Segun Odunayo, were on Wednesday brutalised by policemen guarding the Lagos State House of Assembly in Ikeja.

The duo had gone to cover events around the Alausa area, a major demonstration ground of the #EndSARS protesters calling for a total overhaul of the Nigeria Police Force.

According to the PUNCH, both Odunayo and Dawodu were recording a live video of activities in the area when the policemen accosted them and ordered them to stop the recording.

After showing the policemen their identity cards, indicating that they are journalists covering #EndSARS protests and monitoring compliance with the government-imposed curfew, the policemen became annoyed and pounced on them.

Odunayo said the policemen tortured them for four hours, adding that they stripped them of their clothes, laid them on the floor, beat them with a stick and guns, and took a video recording of them while torturing them at the Lagos State House of Assembly.

Odunayo said, “Femi and I were at the Secretariat in Alausa around 7 am and were doing a live video of the activities going on in the area. We were heading back to the expressway when a group of armed policemen accosted us at the Lagos State House of Assembly roundabout and immediately collected our phones. We showed them our ID cards, but they refused to let us go.

“What got the policemen annoyed was that we saw them using a stick and a rubber to beat a young man, and during the live video, they heard me saying that they were beating someone. So, after they arrested us, they tortured us and demanded that we should do another live video denying the statement, but we refused.

“Each Time we refused, they slapped us, used a stick to beat us, used the butt of their guns to hit our heads and bodies after stripping us of our clothes. All they wanted was for us to do another live broadcast to claim that we lied and we didn’t because we told the truth.”

Dawodu said it took the intervention of the state Police Public Relations Officer, Muyiwa Adejobi before they were released at the Alausa Police Station, adding that before their release, the policemen took their details, including their addresses, took a video record of them and threatened to go after them if any negative report was published about what happened.

He said, “The policemen were transferring the aggression of what is happening regarding the #EndSARS protest on us. They later took us to the Divisional Police Station in Alausa, and if not for the DPO, the policemen guarding the LSHA that arrested us would have done more grievous things to us.

“The PPRO and the DPO later spoke with them, and we were released.

“But despite his intervention, we were told to write statements. They collected our details, address, took video recordings of us making false statements during the torture, and threatened to use it to blackmail and go after us if we end up doing any bad report against them.”

Sahara Reporters

Continue Reading


CCTV At Lekki Toll Gate Was Not Removed -Lekki Concession Company Says



Lekki Concession Company in their press release has debunked the rumour that the Lekki Toll Gate CCTV camera was not removed.

Lekki, Ikoyi tolls will rise on February 1 – LCC - Ivory NG

According to the press release by the company which condemns the unlawful killings of the peaceful protesters said no one gave the order for the removal of the Closed Circuit Television System as the CCTV is still intact as of the time of this report.

Speaking further, the concession company revealed that if the CCTV was to be removed, it would require the use of machinery to reach the heights that they have been installed.

Read the release report below;


Continue Reading