Connect with us

Metro News

FG sacks petroleum subsidy accounting and auditing firms over incompetence

Published

on

The Federal Ministry of Finance has on Saturday sacked the accounting and auditing firms, Akintola Williams and Co, and Adekanola and Co for incompetence over the management of the disputed petroleum subsidy scheme.

The two audit and accounting firms were engaged by the Ministry some years back to certify the documents and claims of marketers and importers before payment are made.

The sack of the two companies was announced in a press release signed by Paul Nwaibukwu, Senior Special Assistant to the Coordination Minister for Economy and Minister of Finance, Mrs. Ngozi Okonjo Iweala made available to the media today.

The Federal Ministry of Finance however indicated that the sack of the two companies followed its review of the aspects of the implementation of the subsidy regime which it said has been going on for the past two months.

The press release read;

“Concerned about the management of the subsidy regime, the Federal Ministry of Finance has for the last two months been reviewing aspects of the implementation of the subsidy regime related to its functions. The review has produced a lot of useful details on what was wrong with the system and what needs to be done to ensure improvement going forward.”

The Ministry also announced the setting up of a committee that will determine arrears of subsidy claims in 2011 as well as suspension of further withdrawals from the Excess Crude Account.

“The review process kicked off in February when the ministry and relevant government agencies held a meeting with bankers and marketers at the instance of President Goodluck Jonathan. This was followed by a subsequent session with the accounting and auditing firms to re-evaluate their work”, said the Finance ministry.

“The review has produced a lot of useful details on what was wrong with the system and what needs to be done to ensure improvement going forward.
“Based on the review, the Ministry has taken the following steps:

“The services of the audit and accounting firms responsible for certifying the documents and claims of marketers before payment have been terminated. The companies are Akintola Williams and Co and Adekanola and Co.

“The Ministry has established a committee made up of credible and experienced persons from the private and public sector with strong technical component under the chairmanship of Mr. Aigboje Imoukuede to examine the claims of payment arrears for 2011 currently being made by marketers. This is to ensure that only genuine claims are honoured.

“The ministry is also finalising a new and more effective system to replace the current arrangement and, in this regard, a second committee has been set up to propose a good way to forward.

“Based on other outcomes of the review, the ministry will take further actions as necessary”. the press release added.

It would be recalled that the House of Representatives ad hoc Committee that probed the management of the subsidy scheme had earlier in its report recommended that Akintola Williams and Co and Adekanola and Co firms be suspended for three years for failing to execute their job.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro News

Several Injured As Thugs Attack #EndSARS Protesters, Governor Oyetola In Osun

Published

on

Several Injured As Thugs Attack #EndSARS Protesters, Governor Oyetola In Osun
Several Injured As Thugs Attack #EndSARS Protesters, Governor Oyetola In Osun

#EndSARS protesters in Osun

The Governor of Osun State, Gboyega Oyetola on Saturday, escaped an attack by thugs which happened while he was addressing #EndSARS protesters in Osogbo, the state capital.

Some of the vehicles in the Governor’s convoy were also destroyed by the thugs but the Governor himself was evacuated to safety by his security team.

Also Read: #EndSARS: Hold Enugu State Govt Responsible If Anything Happens To Us – Phyno, Kcee, Zoro

As the convoy was leaving the protest venue, some of the youths continued to stone his vehicles.

While the protest was disrupted, Governor Oyetola assured the injured victims that the government would be responsible for their medical bills.

Continue Reading

Metro News

#EndSARS: Sanwo-Olu Constitutes Panel Of Enquiry

Published

on

#EndSARS: Sanwo-Olu Constitutes Panel Of Enquiry
#EndSARS: Sanwo-Olu Forms Panel Of Enquiry

Babajide Sanwo-Olu

In a bid to quell the #EndSARS protest which is spreading like a raging inferno across the country, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, the Governor of Lagos State has set up a panel of inquiry and restitution for victims of SARS.

This was announced in a statewide broadcast on Thursday.

The panel will be a 7-man panel which will ensure that all those with verifiable cases of SARS brutality or fatality receive compensation.

Also Read: BREAKING: EndSARS: Gov Sanwo-Olu reveals identities of policemen who harassed protesters

The Panel will be chaired by retired Justice Doris Okuwobi, while members are Ebun Adegboruwa, SAN (representing the Civil Society), Taiwo Lakanu (a retired Deputy Inspector General of Police), Patience Udoh (representing the Civil Society); Segun Awosanya aka Segalink (Human Rights Activist).

Others are Olutoyin Odusanya (Director, Citizens Mediation Center), a rep/member of the youth-led protest, and a representative of the Human Rights Commission.

There will be a help desk for the complaints and petitions to the panel.

Continue Reading

Metro News

Governor Seyi Makinde Loses 81-Yr-Old Mother

Published

on

Governor Seyi Makinde Loses 81-Yr-Old Mother
Seyi Makinde

Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde

Abigail Makinde, the mother of the governor of Oyo State, Seyi Makinde, is dead.

The Chief Press Secretary to Mr Makinde, Taiwo Adisa, however, told newsmen that the family will soon make an official statement on the death of the deceased.

He said: “Yes. The family will make an official statement.

“The family will soon make an official statement. In the next few minutes, the family will make an official statement, in few minutes.”

It was gathered that Mr Makinde lost his father, Olatunbosun Makinde, a few years ago.

It was learnt that Mrs Makinde died in the early hours of Thursday.

She died at the age of 81.

Continue Reading

Trending