Connect with us

Metro News

EASTER: JTF, US, UK warn of Boko Haram attacks

Published

on

Boko Haram attack

The United States on Thursday issued an alert and warned their residents living or visiting Nigeria to be cautious and expect bombings by Boko Haram. The United Kingdom also released a travel advisory, warning its citizens to keep off Borno, Niger, Kaduna, Kano, Sokoto and Yobe states.

Boko Haram had bombed the Saint Theresa’s Catholic Church, Madalla, in Niger State, on December 25, last year, just as bombs had exploded twice during worship in Jos, Plateau State, last month.

But the Presidency in a statement said there was no cause for alarm and that the country was safe.

“The (UK) travel warning is not anything that should elicit any panic because Nigeria remains safe. This Easter will be peaceful for all. That is what we look forward to,” the statement issued by Presidential spokesman, Reuben Abati, says.

The UK Foreign Office in its updated travel warning claimed that the violent sect might carry out a wide range of attacks on Christians and churches during the Easter holiday.

“There is a high threat of terrorist attack during religious festivals,” the U.K. warning reads.

The U.S. warning notes deadly daily attacks in the country and “continued threats,” including many that mentioned the “U.S. interests.”

The warning also notes that personnel from the U.S. Embassy no longer travel to northern Nigeria, a rule put in place after a Boko Haram attack on Kano in January that killed at least 185 people.

“The U.S. Embassy continues to monitor closely the ongoing threats posed by Nigerian extremist and criminal groups, and their stated intentions to carry out attacks against the Nigerian government and western interests and targets in Nigeria,” the message adds.

The Australian government has issued a similar warning.

It says, “Coordinated attacks against a number of churches in central and northern Nigeria occurred during the Christmas periods in 2010 and 2011. Similar attacks may occur again in future holiday periods. Due to the very high threat of terrorist attack, you should exercise particular vigilance in all parts of Nigeria during the Easter period in 2012.”

But security agents confided in The PUNCH that security  around places of worship and other flashpoints has been tightened as Easter festivities begin on Friday (today) throughout the country as Intelligence suggests threat to lives and property.

Consequently, the Acting Inspector-General of Police, Muhammed Abubakar, on Thursday directed all Zonal Assistant Inspectors-General of Police and Commissioners of Police to deploy policemen in churches.

In Plateau State, the Joint Task Force in operation and the state police command have placed their men on the alert as Christians commence the celebration of Easter. As a first measure, the police have banned the use of motorcycles from 7pm on Thursday (yesterday) till 6am Tuesday next week.

The Joint Task Force had on Wednesday warned that Boko Haram was planning another major attack on Kano during the Easter holiday, similar to the deadly strike that occurred in January.

The JTF had asked people to stay indoors during the period unless they have very important places to go.

The JTF spokesman in Kano, Lt. Ikedichi Iweoha, had said that intelligence reports indicated that the sect was planning to launch a large-scale attack soon.

“Residents should be security conscious and be mindful of their movements because we have intelligence report that the terrorists are planning to take advantage of the oncoming Easter holiday to launch a large scale attack on Kano city just like they had done earlier this year,” Iweoha had reportedly said.

Abati, in the Presidency statement, said the Nigerian government had done and achieved a lot to manage the nation’s security situation.

The statement notes, “If you take a look at the travel advice that has purportedly been released by the UK authorities, the statement seems to be saying that because there was a bomb blast during the last Christmas period, that there may also be bomb blast during the Easter celebration in Nigeria.

“What that means is that this is a statement that is informed simply by commonsense. But the truth of the matter is that the Nigerian government has done a lot, is doing a lot and has achieved a lot to inspire confidence in its ability to manage the security situation in the country and to assure everyone, both Nigerians and foreigners alike living in this country that the country is safe for lives and property of everyone.

“You will notice that in the last three months, since December when the incident referred to happened, high profile arrests have been made. The security agencies have been able to show that they are getting close to resolving the problem. They have shown that they have the capacity to deal with the situation. They have shown that a lot of knowledge has been acquired about the operation of  Boko Haram.

“It is also important to note that when people outside Nigeria talk about Boko Haram, they give impression that the entire country is under a siege but that is not the reality on the ground. Nigeria remains an attractive destination for investors, visitors and Nigerians.”

-Punch NG

Continue Reading
4 Comments

4 Comments

  1. Ebuka Mbagwu

    April 7, 2012 at 1:29 am

    Let them bomb themselves if they like. But let them not try it on Eastern part of Nigeria or they die. !

  2. samuel

    April 7, 2012 at 9:55 am

    The enemy of progress conspiring against us shall not prosper in Jesus name..Jesus has died 4us..so therefore,we shall hear no more death neither barren in our land cuz the Lord Almighty has saved and protect us with his outstretch arm..for we have all find favour in his sight..hence,walk like kings and do not be afraid cuz I the LORD is already there to rescue you from d hands of your enemies..God bless NIGERIA our country and be with us all

  3. Enter your name...ALI PETER CHINEDU

    April 7, 2012 at 10:04 am

    We in the christian community are praying that there will be peace in all parts of the country during this easter season.God will touch the heart of bombers.

  4. Sam

    April 8, 2012 at 8:44 am

    May God rescue us from this boko haram people.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro News

“Oke Wasn’t Killed By Stray Bullet, He Was Stabbed By Thugs” – Brother Claims

Published

on

“Oke Wasn’t Killed By Stray Bullet, He Was Stabbed By Thugs” - Brother Claims
Oke

Oke

Information Nigeria recalls a graphics designer identified as Oke, was killed hours after tweeting “Nigeria will not kill me” on Wednesday.

It was reported that the young man had passed away after he was hit by a stray bullet.

The deceased’s younger brother, Daniel has come out to clear the air regarding the circumstances leading to his death.

Daniel revealed his brother was stabbed on the neck by thugs who infiltrated and ransacked their home.

In his words;

Good day, My name is Obi-Enadhuze Daniel younger brother of the now deceased Okechukwu Obi-Enadhuze @O_Okee . I, my brother and mother lived at makinde police barracks, mafoluku, Oshodi, Lagos State.

Today at about 11 o’clock in the morning the police station at makinde was attacked by thugs who wanted to destroy the station, I my mom and brother were holed up in our house.

 The attack went on for hours before the thugs eventually breached the police and proceeded to set the station on fire, after accomplishing this they set their sights to the barracks and began the assault, they proceeded to destroy every car in the barracks, my mom’s 2 cars where destroyed and set on fire and then they infiltrated our house by breaking the door they then proceeded to ransack the house and carted away with everything we own. 

 my brother on trying to get them to take everything but spare us was pushed to my mom’s room and stabbed on the neck, the attacker then proceeded to attack me but missed my neck but got my chin instead, after this my mom and I carried my brothers body to the entrance of the station soliciting for help from the thugs still ravaging the barracks, we were finally able to put him in a wheelbarrow and took him to a hospital where he was rejected because “he was already dead” unfazed we moved him to another hospital where he met the same treatment this was where he bled his last drops of blood and died, his body has now been moved to a morgue

we have lost every single thing we own, as our house was completely ransacked and set on fire the only thing left is my brothers phone and at about 8 o’clock this evening the barracks was still on fire but Okechukwu has paid with the ultimate price

I and my mother are homeless with nothing now but we’re safe for now, we thank everyone that has been able to reach out to us, and were able to share consoling words with us in these trying times, God bless you

While we were holed up in the house the three of us said these words together and we say it again ” THREE OF US ARE HERE, THREE OF US ARE TOGETHER, THREE OF US ARE SAFE”

Let it be known that my brother @O_Okee  was NOT killed by a police bullet but died a hero protecting my mother and I.

If you see this please retweet, let the world know how Okechukwu died. He was NOT killed by a police bullet but thugs in his home!”

Read Also: RIP Oke: Barely 3hours After Tweeting “Nigeria Will Not End Me” #EndSARS Protester Dies From Gunshot

See his post below:

Continue Reading

Metro News

Youths Burn Down Sanwo-Olu’s Mother’s House In Lagos (VIDEO)

Published

on

Youths Burn Down Gov Sanwo-Olu’s Mother’s House In Lagos (VIDEO)

Youths Burn Down Gov Sanwo-Olu’s Mother’s House In Lagos (VIDEO)Lagos youths have set the family house of Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu on fire.

This was after the Governor said that no nobody was killed during the shooting by soldiers at Lekki Toll Gate on Tuesday night.

Sanwo-Olu had debunked claims that the soldiers opened fire and killed some peaceful protesters.

Recall that men of the Nigerian Army reportedly opened fire on protesters following the declaration of 24 hours curfew by the Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwolu.

Bullets fired by security operatives hit some persons and at least two persons have been confirmed killed by the police and many injured

Voices in viral footage blamed the shootings on soldiers.

However, the angry youth attacked several important places such as Nigeria Port Authority, TVC News, and the family house of the Governor where his mother resides.

Continue Reading

Metro News

#LekkiMassacre: Hoodlums Storm TVC Station In Lagos; Set Properties On Fire (Video)

Published

on

#LekkiMassacre: Hoodlums Storm TVC Station In Lagos; Set Properties On Fire (Video)
Properties in the conpound on fire

Properties in the compound on fire

Hoodlums have reportedly invaded the headquarters of popular news station, TVC, believed to be owned by National Leader of APC, Bola Tinubu.

According to reports, the staff of the news station are being trapped in the building located in Lagos.

Videos circulating online shows that properties in the compound have also been set ablaze.

The news station is currently off air and this comes hours after Nigerians accused the Lagos politician of having a hand in the #LekkiMassacre.

Information Nigeria recalls security agents had opened fire at peaceful #EndSARS protesters at Lekki Tollgate on Tuesday.

In a video circulating online, the anchors of one of the shows, ‘Your View’ were heard saying that there were hoodlums at their gate trying to break into the premises.

Read Also: #EndSARS: Nigerian Army Denies Shooting At Protesters In Lekki

Watch the video clips below:

Continue Reading

Trending