Connect with us

National News

Whitney Houston’s clothes, earrings up for auction

Published

on

Whitney Houston has barely been dead a week, and already several of her belongings — including a pair of earrings and a vest that she wore in the 1992 movie “The Bodyguard” — will go on the auction block next month.

The items, which celebrity auctioneer Darren Julien obtained following the singer’s February 11 death, will be included in the Hollywood Legends auction, which will be held at Julien’s Auctions in Beverly Hills on March 31 and April 1.

Also among the Houston items that will go on the auction block: Several dresses, including a floor-length, black velvet dress owned by the singer and valued at $1,000-$2,000. (The vest and faux-pearl earrings that Houston wore in her breakthrough film “The Bodyguard” are valued at $400-600 and $600-$800, respectively.

The Hollywood Legends auction will also include memorabilia such as Charlie Chaplin’s cane, the jacket that Clark Gable wore in “Gone With the Wind,” and the staff that Charlton Heston used in the 1956 epic “The Ten Commandments.”

Houston died at the Beverly Hilton hotel in Beverly Hills on February 11, prior to Clive Davis’ annual pre-Grammys party. The singer was found submerged in her bathtub by a member of her personal staff, and emergency responders were unable to revive her. Houston was 48.

The singer was buried in at the Fairview Cemetery in Westfield, N.J. — next to her father, who died in 2003 — on Sunday. On Saturday, an invitation-only funeral service for Houston at the New Hope Baptist Church in Newark, N.J. — which Houston attended and sang at as a child — included tributes from Kevin Costner, Stevie Wonder, Alicia Keys, Houston’s producer Clive Davis and others.

A cause of death has not yet been announced, pending the results of a toxicology test.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

National News

Low UTME Cut-off Mark Makes Northern Youth Lazy – El-Rufai

Published

on

Low UTME Cut-off Mark Makes Northern Youth Lazy – El-Rufai

Governor El-rufai

Governor of Kaduna State, Nasir El-Rufai has expressed that the low cut-off mark in the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME for Northern students admission into universities makes them lazy.

He expressed that the North has not taken advantage of the educational benefits the country has provided to the region.

El-Rufai made this remark during a plenary session on “Rethinking Sub-National Competitiveness” at the ongoing Nigerian Economic Summit.

Also Read: El-Rufai Drags Omokri, Others To Court, Demands N1.5bn For Defamation

“The northerners are at advantage. The low JAMB cut-off mark is making northern youth lazy rather than encouraging them. Despite the advantage of education in Nigeria, we have the highest number of children out of school,” he said.

According to the United Nations, the huge number of out-of-school children in northern Nigeria poses an enormous challenge.

“For example, Joint Admissions Matriculation Board, (JAMB), gives different cut-off marks for different states and you say you are building a nation, no you are dividing it.

“I am from the north but we have suffered educational disadvantage and the JAMB has given us a lower cut-off mark to catch up, have we caught up?

“It is making people lazy,” the governor said.

 

Continue Reading

National News

Family Of Slain Vendor Demands N500m Compensation From Gbajabiamila, Threatens Legal Action

Published

on

Family Of Slain Vendor Demands N500m Compensation From Gbajabiamila, Threatens Legal Action

Femi Gbajabiamila

Speaker of the House of Representatives, Femi Gbajabiamila, has been asked to pay N500 million in compensation by the family of Ifeanyi Okereke, the newspaper vendor shot dead last week by a State Security Service (SSS) officer in the convoy of the Speaker.

This was contained in a letter written to Gbajabiamila by their lawyer, Mike Ozekhome (SAN).

The family gave the speaker seven days to fulfill their demand or face legal action.

In the letter dated November 23, Ozekhome, revealed that he has the mandate of the father of the deceased, Okorie Okereke, and his younger brother, Destiny Okereke, to make the demand.

The demand is coming a few days after Gbajabiamila visited the immediate family and pledged to support his children’s education until they become adults.

Also Read: Gbajabiamila’s Security Aide In Detention – DSS

“Our clients have instructed us to make from your good self, the following modest demands: That you use your good offices to ensure the immediate prosecution of your security aide (Abdullahi Hassan), who went on a frolic of his own, clearly acted outside the purview of his duty and responsibility by shooting to death an innocent, harmless and armless citizen.

“That you adequately compensate the Okereke family with a modest sum of N500m only.

“This monetary demand can never adequately replace or take the place of their son, husband, brother, and breadwinner’s life.

“But it will at least mitigate the obvious trauma and hardship the premature demise of their irreplaceable breadwinner has placed on them.

“Take note therefore that it is our clients’ firm instruction that in the event that you fail, refuse and/or neglect to accede to or proffer reasonable compensatory terms to our above modest demands within seven days from the date of this letter, we shall without any further correspondences from us, take appropriate legal steps to enforce our clients’ constitutional rights,” the letter read.

 

Continue Reading

National News

Don’t Allow Conspiracy Theorists Undermine Lagos Security, Sanwo-Olu Tells Residents

Published

on

Don’t Allow Conspiracy Theorists Undermine Lagos Security, Sanwo-Olu Tells Residents

Babajide Sanwo-Olu

Governor of Lagos State, Babajide Sanwo-Olu has urged the residents of the state not to allow conspiracy theorists and external forces destroy the wellbeing and security of the state.

He made this appeal on Tuesday during a stakeholders’ engagement, tagged, ‘Internal Security and Conflict Resolution in Lagos State.’

The meeting, which held at the Adeyemi Bero Auditorium, Alausa, was also attended by the Minister of Interior, Rauf Aregbesola; Minister of Police Affairs, Maigari Dingyadi; human rights lawyer, Femi Falana, among others.

Also Read: BREAKING: Sanwo-Olu Appoints Olaleye As LASPOTECH Rector

“We have to reignite the communication link between government and the people so that fifth columnists or conspiracy theorists will not be able to infiltrate and spread disinformation and misinformation that would jeopardise the future of our country or the opportunities available for our youths to contribute to the greatness of our country,” the governor told the audience at the event.

He added, “The level of insecurity being experienced across the nation calls for serious concern, considering its implication not only on the socio-economic development and prosperity of our people but also on the unity and territorial integrity of our nation.

“The importance of an effective strategy for peaceful resolution of conflict cannot be overemphasised.”

Continue Reading

Trending