Suspected Boko Haram assailants opened fire and set off explosives at a market in Maiduguri on Monday, killing at least 30 people, a medic and a witness said.
The Gunmen suspected to be Boko Haram members invaded the Baga market and opened fire indiscriminately, traders said.
Reports have it that women and children were among the dead.
“The number of dead could not be less than 30,” a Maiduguri hospital nurse told AFP.
The Nigerian military confirmed the assault on the market but denied any civilian deaths, saying security forces had killed eight assailants and safely detonated bombs planted by the attackers.
“At about 1:30 (1230 GMT) this afternoon at Baga market of Maiduguri metropolis some gunmen suspected to be members of Boko Haram attacked and shot civilians at the market,” Lieutenant Colonel Hassan Mohammed, spokesman of a special military unit in the city, told AFP.
He said several people had been wounded but that there was “no civilian death at this time”.
The military “immediately came to the rescue of the situation and safely detonated three bombs planted by members of the sect and shot and killed eight members of the sect.”
However, one trader who have his name as Mairami said six gunmen stormed the food and commodities market and “opened fire indiscriminately. At least 30 people including women and children were killed.”
Another vendor by the name Gana gave a similar account of the attack in the city, Boko Haram’s stronghold.
“The gunmen just opened fire killing people. I saw three military vans piled with bodies leaving the market. There were several explosions after the shooting,” Gana said.
The attackers had accused traders of collaborating with the military following the arrest last week of a suspected Boko Haram member in the market, witnesses said.
Mairami said one gunman shouted angrily that traders had “teamed up with soldiers” to help arrest members of the sect, which has been blamed for a wave of deadly attacks in the mainly Muslim north of Nigeria.
“‘We have henceforth waged war against you’,” Mairami said the gunman had declared, before spraying bullets on both vendors and customers.
Source: Vanguard ngr
Nigeria’s Communications Minister, Isa Pantami, Loses 13-year-old Daughter
Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Isa Ali Pantami, has announced the loss of his 13-year-old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali.
The Minister took to his Twitter account on Monday night to announce this sad news.
Pantami stated that the funeral prayer for the deceased will be conducted in Abuja on Tuesday at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2.
The post by the minister announcing the incident reads; “Inna lil Laahi wa inna ilaiHi Rajiun! My 13-year old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali (Amal) passed away just a moment ago.
“Due to some necessities, funeral prayer tomorrow at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2, immediately after Zuhr prayer In sha Allah. May Allah forgive and be merciful to her.”
Inna lil Laahi wa inna ilaiHi Rajiun!
My 13-year old daughter, Aishah Isa Ali (Amal) passed away just a moment ago.
Due to some necessities, funeral prayer tomorrow at Annur Masjeed, Wuse 2, immediately after Zuhr prayer in sha Allah. May Allah forgive & be Merciful to her.
— Isa Ali Pantami, PhD (@DrIsaPantami) November 23, 2020
Cult Violence: Wike Imposes Two-Week Curfew Around Okoro-Nu-Odu
Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State has imposed a 24-hour total curfew for two weeks on some parts of Port-Harcourt, the state capital.
The Governor made this known during a broadcast on Sunday where he noted that the curfew begins from Monday 23rd November 2020.
The statement noted that the upsurge noticed by the state government in cases of cult activities, other forms of violence, and killings is responsible for the curfew.
Wike in the statement declared that the entire area along and around the Okoro-nodu flyover up to a one-kilometre radius from Saint Emmanuel Anglican Church, Rumuokoro, extending to the Rumuodomaya Slaughter and Local Government daily market will be affected.
He added that no form of trading, human or vehicular movement is allowed in the affected areas until further notice.
Zamfara Governor Secures Release Of 11 Kidnapped Victims
Governor of Zamafara, Bello Matawalle has announced the release of 11 kidnapped victims.
According to reports, ten of the victims were male and a female from Bukkuyum Local Government Area.
Matawalle received the rescued kidnapped victims on Saturday night at the Government House in Gusau, the state capital.
The Commissioner of Security and Home Affairs, Abubakar Muhammed Dauran revealed that the victims were released without paying a ransom.
He stated they were released as a result of the peace initiative and stakeholders meeting summoned by Governor Matawalle with all critical stakeholders from Bukkuyum Local Government Area on Thursday.
Governor Matawalle assured that his administration will not rest on its oars until total peace is achieved in all parts of the state.
- Entertainment22 hours ago
‘You Are A Disgrace’ – Actress Adesua Etomi Knocks Lauretta Onochie Over Her Tweet
- National News23 hours ago
‘Your Report On Lekki Capable Of Setting Nigeria On Fire’ — Lai Writes CNN
- Entertainment20 hours ago
‘Why I Don’t Promote My Old Songs’ – BBNaija’s Vee
- National News23 hours ago
Petrol Subsidy Not Completely Gone, Says Minister
- National News21 hours ago
#LekkiMassacre: CNN Dares Nigeria Government, Updates Second Report (Video)
- Entertainment22 hours ago
Singer 9ice Shares New Family Video; Hints At Reconciliation With His Wife
- Entertainment23 hours ago
‘Being Divorced Is Nothing To Shame Anyone For’ – Toke Makinwa Blasts Reno Omokri
- Entertainment19 hours ago
BBNaija’s Laycon To Star In Showmax Original, ‘I Am Laycon’