Connect with us

Metro News

Why Achebe rejected national award

Published

on

MORE reasons the literary icon, Prof. Chinua Achebe, rejected the Federal Government’s national award for the second time in seven years emerged yesterday as his aides and associates disclosed that the notice of the award from the government reached Achebe less than three days to the event, which held on Monday.

One of the academic assistants working with Prof. Achebe, the internationally acclaimed author and novelist, told Empowered Newswire that by the time the offer reached Achebe’s address, he was not around and could not be reached by telephone.
The source added that at that time, Achebe could not “be reached till late next week,” and he had no phone access where he was at the time.

Aides said there was no way Achebe would have “jumped” on the plane at that time even if he wanted to accept the honour. Observers wondered why it took the panel charged with the selection of the awardees such a long time before contacting those proposed to be honoured.

Besides, it was also revealed that one of the senior aides of Prof. Achebe had earlier made overtures to the President Goodluck Jonathan presidency seeking to invite the president to the yearly Achebe colloquium on Africa at Brown University, an event which had grown in stature in the United States academic and policy communities, as it has also drawn top Nigerian political elite and public officials as participants and speakers.

A source said there were suggestions from the Achebe team to ask Jonathan to grace this year’s edition of the event, which comes up every December, and possibly deliver one of the keynote addresses. It is believed that the invitation is a proof that Achebe may not be irredeemably opposed to the Jonathan administration or to the person of the president, despite his conviction not to receive an award from the government.

However by last Saturday afternoon when the presidency intervened and managed to formally contact Achebe in the U.S. with the help of the Nigerian Ambassador, Prof. Ade Adefuye, Achebe’s aides and associates had decided with his approval to reject the award, not just because it was a late offer but due to the view of the literacy icon that nothing had changed in Nigeria between now and seven years ago when he spurned the same award during the Chief Olusegun Obasanjo presidency.

In the statement through, which Achebe rejected the award, he said: “The reasons for rejecting the offer when it was first made have not been addressed, let alone solved. It is inappropriate to offer it again to me. I must therefore regretfully decline the offer again.”

In his own reaction, after speaking with Achebe, Adefuye said: “Prof. Achebe and I discussed the issue of the award. The literary giant is a highly respected member of our community. He is entitled to his opinion and the Jonathan administration recognises that.”

Adefuye who said he spoke to Achebe at the weekend added that “the Jonathan administration is however poised to continue removing whatever defects that do exist in Nigerian politics, economy and society.”

The ambassador concluded by saying “the process of building a Nigeria of which Prof. Achebe will be proud has begun and that process is irreversible.”

source: ngrguardiannews.com

Continue Reading
14 Comments

14 Comments

  1. obinna

    November 17, 2011 at 8:51 pm

    thats a very big lesson to FG. I will say that things are even geting worse. Since lecturers, that could not gradute with 1st class, will not allow merit student to gradute with but it won’t for them.

  2. Aina abimbola

    November 17, 2011 at 10:29 pm

    the president must know that , not all nigerian are fool to this joke he call administration ,with RECIPY FOR ANARCHY called policy . Sorry presido achebe can not be bought .

  3. mbamara maxwel chukwuemeka

    November 17, 2011 at 11:25 pm

    achibe may hv his reason. Achibe has being away 4rm this country selling his wisdom to the white while his country is allow to waste. A man whose house is on fire dose not run after rats. Who do he think wil fix this problems. America is the it is today because all the leaned ones joind hand togather but in nigeria our wise men leave to other country and develop it why condeming there own country. Tooo bad.

  4. Agbo emmanuel o.

    November 17, 2011 at 11:36 pm

    ofcourse we are highly disapointd wit so caled president.but it is nt evry body that can be bought k

  5. Iteshi

    November 18, 2011 at 8:42 am

    One sorrowful thing about this incidence is that, those directly involved in this will never learn anything positive about it. The only country that shuld be qualify to award up to three hundred citizens shuld be a country without a single economic, political, religious and social problems. This incidence shows that men of integrity always maintain their parity. Those who merited the award, rejected the award because of the pitiful condition of the country. But those criminals who receives the awards, went home rejoicing because they know it’s not meant for them. Mr. President shuld resign out of the office because he is more confused than myself. He behaves like a motor park tout. Everything is not about polictics.

  6. Stan

    November 18, 2011 at 9:12 am

    Dis is jst d begining…

  7. Igwe Martin

    November 18, 2011 at 6:09 pm

    Achebe is a role model. Presido is very much political bayers, he is trying to buy Achebe against a write up he might use to reveal his camker warms. Sorry JEG, it dosen’t work like that.

  8. Uko Owo

    November 19, 2011 at 7:49 am

    It is mind blowing that we have an ICON that maintain his degree. All the awardee are only taking their chances to identify themselves with corruption, trading their birthday right with a piece of meal. Time as come that our political leaders will be paid with their own coin. Nigerians wake and defend the course of the founding fathers. The Federal government should get ready, there will be no peace for the wicked..

  9. olaseni

    November 19, 2011 at 11:02 am

    with all this disappointment the jackass won’t change their way of life, unless u play it hard on them as the arabian did…

  10. macphil

    November 19, 2011 at 2:32 pm

    I would say based on my own perspective that Prof. Achebe is a man of intergrity and not a man of fame alone,he did what takes to be a challenge to every Nigerians to do and also to make others know that it doesnt teke one to be truly famous by selling his prestige or for her country to recommend his/her good deeds.For our President i love to put myself in his position,you might be a good leader but are your cabinets good.Are they the kind that talks good infront of you and speak evil at your back that is exactly what i think is happening and he is a kind of trying to keep to his words or even to be in the history of great achievers which every good person would love to be and because of this and someother hidden purposes(Good and Bad ) would i say he blindly offerred to some of those people who are trying to remove fuel subsidy as to tarnish his image because it is one of the thing the Nigerians is proud of him being a president.So,if i am to say it would be the greatest mistake he would mekr if he happens to pass the bill because him and the senators might be surprise to find themselves a victim like Gaddaffi.

  11. chigo

    November 19, 2011 at 11:06 pm

    stop all these trash!!!!!! Nobody can straighten Nigeria but Nigerians. Nigeria Sucks,it smells, no doubt, but true Nigerians will remain in the mess fighting tirelessly until the light breaks forth.i wont say he did well or not in spurning the offer but let him come back and join in the fight for the new Nigeria instead of staying away in another man’s land and waiting for angels to do the work in his own.that what loyal elder statesmen do.

  12. Aridegbe Ahmad

    November 20, 2011 at 7:35 pm

    The best option for Mr president is to leave that office.

  13. debby oye

    November 22, 2011 at 2:36 pm

    this is a good one i respect achinua so much. i think this will ginger Goodluck n his running mates up to do better things and begin to think of fufilling their promise a big thank you to pa achinua achebe.

  14. Wisdom

    November 23, 2011 at 4:01 pm

    D so call prof must be very stupid to stand aside and want others to better the lots of his country 4 him.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro News

“Oke Wasn’t Killed By Stray Bullet, He Was Stabbed By Thugs” – Brother Claims

Published

on

“Oke Wasn’t Killed By Stray Bullet, He Was Stabbed By Thugs” - Brother Claims
Oke

Oke

Information Nigeria recalls a graphics designer identified as Oke, was killed hours after tweeting “Nigeria will not kill me” on Wednesday.

It was reported that the young man had passed away after he was hit by a stray bullet.

The deceased’s younger brother, Daniel has come out to clear the air regarding the circumstances leading to his death.

Daniel revealed his brother was stabbed on the neck by thugs who infiltrated and ransacked their home.

In his words;

Good day, My name is Obi-Enadhuze Daniel younger brother of the now deceased Okechukwu Obi-Enadhuze @O_Okee . I, my brother and mother lived at makinde police barracks, mafoluku, Oshodi, Lagos State.

Today at about 11 o’clock in the morning the police station at makinde was attacked by thugs who wanted to destroy the station, I my mom and brother were holed up in our house.

 The attack went on for hours before the thugs eventually breached the police and proceeded to set the station on fire, after accomplishing this they set their sights to the barracks and began the assault, they proceeded to destroy every car in the barracks, my mom’s 2 cars where destroyed and set on fire and then they infiltrated our house by breaking the door they then proceeded to ransack the house and carted away with everything we own. 

 my brother on trying to get them to take everything but spare us was pushed to my mom’s room and stabbed on the neck, the attacker then proceeded to attack me but missed my neck but got my chin instead, after this my mom and I carried my brothers body to the entrance of the station soliciting for help from the thugs still ravaging the barracks, we were finally able to put him in a wheelbarrow and took him to a hospital where he was rejected because “he was already dead” unfazed we moved him to another hospital where he met the same treatment this was where he bled his last drops of blood and died, his body has now been moved to a morgue

we have lost every single thing we own, as our house was completely ransacked and set on fire the only thing left is my brothers phone and at about 8 o’clock this evening the barracks was still on fire but Okechukwu has paid with the ultimate price

I and my mother are homeless with nothing now but we’re safe for now, we thank everyone that has been able to reach out to us, and were able to share consoling words with us in these trying times, God bless you

While we were holed up in the house the three of us said these words together and we say it again ” THREE OF US ARE HERE, THREE OF US ARE TOGETHER, THREE OF US ARE SAFE”

Let it be known that my brother @O_Okee  was NOT killed by a police bullet but died a hero protecting my mother and I.

If you see this please retweet, let the world know how Okechukwu died. He was NOT killed by a police bullet but thugs in his home!”

Read Also: RIP Oke: Barely 3hours After Tweeting “Nigeria Will Not End Me” #EndSARS Protester Dies From Gunshot

See his post below:

Continue Reading

Metro News

Youths Burn Down Sanwo-Olu’s Mother’s House In Lagos (VIDEO)

Published

on

Youths Burn Down Gov Sanwo-Olu’s Mother’s House In Lagos (VIDEO)

Youths Burn Down Gov Sanwo-Olu’s Mother’s House In Lagos (VIDEO)Lagos youths have set the family house of Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu on fire.

This was after the Governor said that no nobody was killed during the shooting by soldiers at Lekki Toll Gate on Tuesday night.

Sanwo-Olu had debunked claims that the soldiers opened fire and killed some peaceful protesters.

Recall that men of the Nigerian Army reportedly opened fire on protesters following the declaration of 24 hours curfew by the Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwolu.

Bullets fired by security operatives hit some persons and at least two persons have been confirmed killed by the police and many injured

Voices in viral footage blamed the shootings on soldiers.

However, the angry youth attacked several important places such as Nigeria Port Authority, TVC News, and the family house of the Governor where his mother resides.

Continue Reading

Metro News

#LekkiMassacre: Hoodlums Storm TVC Station In Lagos; Set Properties On Fire (Video)

Published

on

#LekkiMassacre: Hoodlums Storm TVC Station In Lagos; Set Properties On Fire (Video)
Properties in the conpound on fire

Properties in the compound on fire

Hoodlums have reportedly invaded the headquarters of popular news station, TVC, believed to be owned by National Leader of APC, Bola Tinubu.

According to reports, the staff of the news station are being trapped in the building located in Lagos.

Videos circulating online shows that properties in the compound have also been set ablaze.

The news station is currently off air and this comes hours after Nigerians accused the Lagos politician of having a hand in the #LekkiMassacre.

Information Nigeria recalls security agents had opened fire at peaceful #EndSARS protesters at Lekki Tollgate on Tuesday.

In a video circulating online, the anchors of one of the shows, ‘Your View’ were heard saying that there were hoodlums at their gate trying to break into the premises.

Read Also: #EndSARS: Nigerian Army Denies Shooting At Protesters In Lekki

Watch the video clips below:

Continue Reading

Trending