Connect with us

Metro News

Bomb Explosion In Gombe Kills Three

Published

on

A bomb explosion killed at least three people on Sunday at a police base in northern Nigeria, authorities said, a region plagued by attacks by a radical Islamist sect.

Vehicles were set ablaze and several wounded were rushed to hospital when the bomb tore through the 34th Mobile Police Force Squadron base on Kwami Road, Gombe state, witnesses said.

Gombe Police Commissioner G.E. Orubebe said it was not clear who was behind the attack but it bore the hallmarks of similar strikes carried out by Boko Haram, a sect whose home base is in neighbouring state of Borno.

Boko Haram has been blamed for near daily killings in and around Maiduguri, the capital of Borno, which sits in the remote, dusty northeast where Africa’s most populous nation borders Niger, Cameroon and Chad.

Suspected members of the group, which wants Islamic sharia law more widely applied across Nigeria, killed a policeman in a gunfight in Maiduguri on Friday, police officials said.

The sect, whose name means “Western education is sinful,” has spread its threat across the north and heightened the sophistication of its attacks in recent months. Foreign and Nigerian officials believe the sect has been strengthening ties with al Qaeda’s North African wing.

Boko Haram claimed responsibility for Nigeria’s first known suicide bombing in August, when a car full of explosives was rammed into U.N. headquarters in the capital Abuja, tearing off the side of the building and killing 23 people.

In separate violence, a soldier was hacked to death on Sunday by unknown people near the city of Jos, the capital of Plateau state in Nigeria’s central “Middle Belt,” where the mostly Muslim north meets the largely Christian south.

The tensions in Plateau date back decades and are rooted in disputes over indigenous rights, fierce competition for local political power and control of fertile farmlands.

More than 70 people were killed last month in Plateau when violence between Muslim and Christian youths flared up. A crackdown led by senior military officials has calmed the region in recent weeks.

Nigeria’s population of more than 140 million are split roughly equally between Christians and Muslims and more than 200 ethnic groups live side-by-side largely peacefully.

Source: Reuters

Continue Reading
4 Comments

4 Comments

  1. Yaradua

    October 17, 2011 at 1:44 am

    My questions : Did any individual or group claim responsible? Who justified that Boko Haram carried out the attack? What if they denied being responsible for it? How could Police barrack be intruded in such manner with an explosive by an outsider? It seems Nigeria is heading to extinction merely for achieving political power. But by the grace of God, soon, the evil of all these designed criminality will unviel.

  2. babalola oluwafemi

    October 17, 2011 at 2:55 am

    hummn,if fedra govt is fearin of boko haram not to celebrate indepnt day @ eaglesquar,d citizin ar not even save at-all.

  3. Samuel

    October 17, 2011 at 6:14 am

    They have come again, they have come again lord they have come again holyghost come n take control.

  4. michael wise

    October 18, 2011 at 8:55 am

    Yaradua U̶̲̥̅̊ still D̶̲̥̅̊Õ̳͡n’t blive dat boko haram exist do U̶̲̥̅̊ fuck U̶̲̥̅̊ cos i NƠ̴̴̴̴͡ U̶̲̥̅̊ are one of dem stupid idiot

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro News

#LekkiMassacre: Hoodlums Storm TVC Station In Lagos; Set Properties On Fire (Video)

Published

on

#LekkiMassacre: Hoodlums Storm TVC Station In Lagos; Set Properties On Fire (Video)
Properties in the conpound on fire

Properties in the compound on fire

Hoodlums have reportedly invaded the headquarters of popular news station, TVC, believed to be owned by National Leader of APC, Bola Tinubu.

According to reports, the staff of the news station are being trapped in the building located in Lagos.

Videos circulating online shows that properties in the compound have also been set ablaze.

The news station is currently off air and this comes hours after Nigerians accused the Lagos politician of having a hand in the #LekkiMassacre.

Information Nigeria recalls security agents had opened fire at peaceful #EndSARS protesters at Lekki Tollgate on Tuesday.

In a video circulating online, the anchors of one of the shows, ‘Your View’ were heard saying that there were hoodlums at their gate trying to break into the premises.

Read Also: #EndSARS: Nigerian Army Denies Shooting At Protesters In Lekki

Watch the video clips below:

Continue Reading

Metro News

Several Injured As Thugs Attack #EndSARS Protesters, Governor Oyetola In Osun

Published

on

Several Injured As Thugs Attack #EndSARS Protesters, Governor Oyetola In Osun
Several Injured As Thugs Attack #EndSARS Protesters, Governor Oyetola In Osun

#EndSARS protesters in Osun

The Governor of Osun State, Gboyega Oyetola on Saturday, escaped an attack by thugs which happened while he was addressing #EndSARS protesters in Osogbo, the state capital.

Some of the vehicles in the Governor’s convoy were also destroyed by the thugs but the Governor himself was evacuated to safety by his security team.

Also Read: #EndSARS: Hold Enugu State Govt Responsible If Anything Happens To Us – Phyno, Kcee, Zoro

As the convoy was leaving the protest venue, some of the youths continued to stone his vehicles.

While the protest was disrupted, Governor Oyetola assured the injured victims that the government would be responsible for their medical bills.

Continue Reading

Metro News

#EndSARS: Sanwo-Olu Constitutes Panel Of Enquiry

Published

on

Sanwo-Olu Imposes 24-Hour Curfew In Lagos
#EndSARS: Sanwo-Olu Forms Panel Of Enquiry

Babajide Sanwo-Olu

In a bid to quell the #EndSARS protest which is spreading like a raging inferno across the country, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, the Governor of Lagos State has set up a panel of inquiry and restitution for victims of SARS.

This was announced in a statewide broadcast on Thursday.

The panel will be a 7-man panel which will ensure that all those with verifiable cases of SARS brutality or fatality receive compensation.

Also Read: BREAKING: EndSARS: Gov Sanwo-Olu reveals identities of policemen who harassed protesters

The Panel will be chaired by retired Justice Doris Okuwobi, while members are Ebun Adegboruwa, SAN (representing the Civil Society), Taiwo Lakanu (a retired Deputy Inspector General of Police), Patience Udoh (representing the Civil Society); Segun Awosanya aka Segalink (Human Rights Activist).

Others are Olutoyin Odusanya (Director, Citizens Mediation Center), a rep/member of the youth-led protest, and a representative of the Human Rights Commission.

There will be a help desk for the complaints and petitions to the panel.

Continue Reading

Trending