How To Be A Successful Music Artist in Nigeria

Let me tell you something that is a known fact. In Nigeria, there are Millions of underground musicians that are yet to make it big time and more songs are being released each day. In every street corner, there is at least one audio studio and so many wannabe musicians visiting it every day. Believe me when I tell you that I have seen and heard a lot of “artists/musicians” and they all sound the same.

Being a successful artist basically means being able to reach out to your intended audience. It makes no sense recording an album only to have it kept in your shelf. You should be able to reach your target audience with your music. That makes you a successful artist.

So how do I become a successful artist?

Music is an art and like all works of art should be mastered and perfected. What is the difference between the small percent of successful musicians and the other unsuccessful large percent?  It really needs addressing. With the millions of underground artists every day, there needs to be some rules to follow.

• Stick to a specific genre of music. Most underground artists are so confused that they don’t really know what they want. Today they want to sing on a track, the next day it is rapping. Next week, they want to do a reggae song. At the end you find an artist doing all the genre of music and having no targeted fan base. He is neither here or there. Try as much as possible to carve a niche for yourself in the very large genre of music. By carving a niche for yourself, you are assured of a loyal fan base that likes you for your style of music.
  • Try to sound as REAL as possible.  I have listened to countless songs and worked with various artists. During the course of either listening to or working with these guys, the one thing that struck me as odd is that “this guy sounds like this or that artist” or “this guy is trying to sound like this or that person”. The public do not like listening to duplicate acts. Be original and not try to copy another person.
  • Do what sounds natural. By this I mean do not be swayed by the crowd. Try to do songs that sound natural to you. Don’t start trying to do what everybody is doing when you clearly are not good there. If it’s slow love songs that you are good at, stick to it. Do not try to do dance tracks when you only get inspiration to sing emotional songs.
  • Surround yourself with talent. The importance of this point cannot be over stressed. Good works and talent complement each other. Surround yourself with guys who share the same ideas and inspiration about your music. The worst thing that can happen to an upcoming artist is having no one to share or bounce ideas with.
  • Finally, consistency. Be consistent. Being a successful artist, like everything in life requires hard work and dedication. Stick to what you know how to do and keep improving yourself.

By Ibeleme Uchenna of www.naijaaudioclass.com

1. Okeysonstar

September 20, 2011 at 9:14 am

I love music like a good food & all the time i find myself singing an undivulged songs, but my problem is how to make it a real. I want to be a star. So help me God. Amen.

2. mikey

September 22, 2011 at 1:04 am

mehn i love musics with passion expecially when it comes 2 dat aspect of rapping but d problem is dat any studio i goes i alwys av problem with d producers but all dsame sha i no say GODS time is d best dat i belive.

3. mikey

September 22, 2011 at 1:07 am

4got something, my cell number 07060634842

4. amax

November 21, 2012 at 9:34 pm

hi, am kinda a rapper. with a style pipo really can’t phantom. i wanna know if i can get a good producer who is ready to work with me to achieve a win-win career. my cellphone no. is: 08154285024.
    tnx( winx).

5. squaredkid

December 4, 2012 at 3:48 am

pls. I’m a youngster. And i wanted to be a musician but the problem now is that i am unable to get a producer. So if you are one or if you can get me one this are my numbers 08189485078 & 08162714017. Or you can contact me on 2go with squaredkid or facebook with Ayipo Uthman or follow me on twitter with @squaredkid.

6. Tprince

December 5, 2012 at 6:09 am

Am a young talented musician music is my career my problem is that i just need a sponsora nd am going 2make a cool money 4 the record label

7. asstrokid

February 6, 2013 at 5:40 pm

am a tallented guy in any thing u can think of …av gat 25 musik but i need a promoter or a sponcorer plr help me pls….am demax 17 nd asstrokyd on 2go……ma num 08181332392..

8. brainex

February 15, 2013 at 10:45 am

am an upcoming freestyle artist but i need a producer to boost my career.contact me on 08180387353 or ff me on twitter @drizzy_bob

9. PETER

July 18, 2013 at 9:52 pm

i realy appreciate every thing dat u said, tanks a lot…. am a teen artist and if u wana work with me here iz ma numb…… +2348160331727

10. Kocybrown

July 23, 2013 at 6:47 pm

I love music…n i swear i’m gud at music bt i jst dnt want 2 stress it alot.here’s my contacts 08134478591 08181208229. Thank you.

11. hemonik

September 24, 2013 at 6:02 am

”I gat al it takes and dont take all i gat.I be igbo boy,bt make u no call me Abboy(mumu).Ome ihe jide ofor ka anyi hu ubochi afor…” datz all for now.couple of lines frm my ”god of money” track.all i eva wanted is a record deal.Hook me up nd get surprised and impressed.pueeh .07032095484 is my number

12. isi

November 17, 2013 at 4:25 pm

Splendid

‘Many Countries Became Developed With The Strengths Of Their Youth’ – Tonto Dikeh

'Many Countries Became Developed With The Strengths Of Their Youth' - Tonto Dikeh
Tonto Dikeh

Tonto Dikeh

Nigerian actress and entrepreneur, Tonto Dikeh, took to her Twitter page on Wednesday evening to reveal how many countries became developed over time. The Federal Government recent appointee credits their development to the strengths and potential of their youth.

The movie star shared a portrait photo of herself and captioned it thus:

“MANY COUNTRIES BECAME DEVELOPED WITH THE STRENGTHS & POTENTIALS OF THEIR YOUTH.”

Information Nigeria recalls the 35-year-old Port Harcourt-born humanitarian was criticized by Nigerians on social media for her silence on the trending #EndSARS movement.

Read Also‘Do Not Expect Me To Wear Your Product And Tag You’ – Tonto Dikeh Tells Clothing Vendors

She eventually responded with fury and a vow to sue a blogger who published a report about her saying that she was silent because of her affiliations with the government.

See her Twitter post below:

The actress’ post

‘SARS Are Still Harassing People On The Streets’ – Actress Kemi Lala Akindoju

Kemi Lala Akindoju
Kemi Lala Akindoju

Kemi Lala Akindoju

Nigerian actress, Kemi Lala Akindoju, is frustrated over the fact that the Special Anti Robbery Squad (SARS) officers have not stopped harassing people on the streets.

The movie star took to her Twitter page to lament about the fact that it seems Nigerians are helpless regarding SARS and police brutality.

In her words:

“Meanwhile we still have SARS officers harassing people on the streets of Nigeria. What are we REALLY going to do???? #EndSARS”

Read Also#EndSARS: ‘Lagos Curfew Will Not Discourage Us’ – Actress Kemi Lala Akindoju

Reacting to the video of Desmond Elliot proposing the regulation of social media, she writes:

“This ‘respect’ mentality has really done a number on us in Nigeria. Hon Desmond is more concerned about ‘children’ cursing on social media than he is about better governance and true leadership. Again he has shown us his priorities”

See her tweets below:

The actress’ tweet

The actress’ tweet

‘It Is Both A Blessing And A Curse To Be Very Good Looking’ – Korede Bello

Korede Bello

Nigerian singer, Korede Bello, has stated that it is both a blessing and a curse to be very good looking. The Afro pop star shared this via his official Twitter page.

According to the Mavin Records artist, it can be a curse because people tend to get distracted by the person’s good looks. Also, the good looking person faces the risk of being seen as incapable or incompetent because of their aesthetics.

Read Also#EndSARS: ‘Our Problem Is That We Lack Fresh Ideas’ – Singer Korede Bello

In his words:

“Unpopular opinion. I think it can be a blessing and a curse to be very good looking. Having good looks is def an added advantage but unfortunately we tend to get distracted and prioritize aesthetics over ability. The external will fade, the internal will grow”

See his tweet below: