Connect with us

World news

Ghanian Arrested In The U.K For 2 Billion Dollars Fraud

Published

on

A British court on Friday remanded equities trader Kweku Adoboli in custody over an alleged $2 billion fraud at Swiss bank UBS, with one of the three charges against him dating back to 2008.

The 31-year-old wept in the dock at a City of London court as presiding magistrate Carolyn Wagstaff told him he would be remanded in custody until he appears at the same court on September 22.

Wearing an open-necked white shirt and light blue sweatshirt, Adoboli stood accused of fraud and two charges of false accounting, one of which dates from 2008 to 2009.

A packed courtroom looked on as Adoboli, the son of a retired United Nations official from Ghana, stared down at his feet while he was ushered out of court to a waiting prison van which was surrounded by photographers.

Adoboli was represented in court by a lawyer from Kingsley Napley, the same firm that acted for Nick Leeson, the British trader whose losses brought down Barings Bank in 1995.

Adoboli was arrested at UBS’s London offices at 3:30 am on Thursday.

Within hours, the bank announced it had lost $2 billion through unauthorised trading.

After two days of questioning by detectives, police charged him on Friday after prosecutors gave the go-ahead.

“City of London Police has since charged the 31-year-old with fraud by abuse of position and false accounting,” the spokeswoman said.

Continue Reading
5 Comments

5 Comments

  1. Mitchel

    September 17, 2011 at 7:44 am

    Hmmmmmmmm

  2. Hardehyemmy

    September 18, 2011 at 8:40 pm

    Wow!!! Eweehh!!!Guy take am easy.If i nack dat money omo i don hammer

  3. Ismaila Aduagba

    September 20, 2011 at 10:57 am

    Youth from Africa should learn how to live a godly life because it is only God that gives wealth.He put himself,his family and the entire Africa in global mess.What a complete fiasco.

  4. Harry backer

    September 20, 2011 at 11:35 am

    SHIT, I won faint!!!!!!

  5. Sunny T

    September 20, 2011 at 7:33 pm

    Dis guy na big thief oo.He should be jail

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

World news

JUST IN: ECOWAS Lifts Sanctions On Mali

Published

on

ECOWAS countries
ECOWAS Countries

ECOWAS Countries

(more…)

Continue Reading

World news

US President, Donald Trump, Wife Test Positive For Covid-19

Published

on

Donald Trump and Melania
Donald Trump and Melania

Donald Trump and wife, Melania Trump

President of the United States, Donald Trump, and his wife, Melania Trump have both tested positive for COVID-19.

The President took to his official Twitter handle on Friday to make this announcement.

Trump was last seen in public on Thursday afternoon, returning to the White House after a fundraising trip to New Jersey.

Also Read: What I Told Trump When He Accused Me Of Killing Christians – Buhari

On Thursday, he announced that his aide, Hope Hicks tested positive for the virus which has killed over 1 million people around the world.

He further revealed that he and the first lady had taken the test and waiting for the results before announcing the outcome on Friday.

 

Continue Reading

World news

Mali: N’Daw, Coup Leader Goita Sworn In As President, VP

Published

on

President of Mali, N'Daw, coup leader, Goita
President of Mali, N'Daw, coup leader, Goita

President of Mali, N’Daw, coup leader, Goita

Retired Army Colonel, Bah N’Daw has been sworn in on Friday as the interim president of Mali and he is to head a transitional government following last month’s military coup in the country.

The swearing-in ceremony held in the country’s capital city of Bamako, where Colonel Assimi Goita, who led the military junta, was also sworn in as interim vice president.

This administration is to lead the government for a maximum of 18 months before organising national elections.

Also Read: Buhari Attends Virtual ECOWAS Extraordinary Summit Over Mali Crisis

It will be recalled that the country’s military executed a coup last month (August 18) which successfully removed the nation’s president, Ibrahim Boubacar Keita from office.

Former President of Nigeria, Goodluck Jonathan, attended the ceremony alongside other members of the ECOWAS mediation team.

Continue Reading

Trending