Connect with us

Metro News

Bankole, Nafada face fresh N40bn charge

Published

on

ABUJA—FORMER Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives, Alhaji Usman Bayero Nafada, who was quizzed last week by operatives of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, alongside other principal officers of the sixth National Assembly is likely to be charged to court today with his former principal, Mr. Dimeji Bankole over allegations of corrupt enrichment and misappropriation of over N40 billion

Nafada is, however, presently in an undisclosed hospital in Abuja where operatives of the anti-graft agency are keeping surveillance on him as he was said to have been involved in an auto accident on his way to the EFCC’s office. The agency spokesman, Mr. Femi Babafemi who confirmed the auto accident yesterday did not however tell Vanguard Nafada’s condition.

A source at the EFCC told Vanguard that both Bankole and Nafada were facing fresh charges over a N40 billion loan scam unilaterally sourced by the leadership of the last House of Representatives.

Bankole is already facing a 16-count charge of allegedly misappropriating N9 billion capital project fund through contract inflation. The EFCC source said the two former legislators were likely to be arraigned before another court today.

When contacted on phone, EFCC’s Head of Media and Publicity, Mr. Femi Babafemi confirmed that Nafada was being detained in connection with a different case. Babafemi, however, declined to give further details of the new case against the former deputy speaker.

Dragnet over loan scam

The anti-corruption agency has extended its dragnet over the loan scam and other financial infractions in the last House of Representatives, even as fears are entertained that more principal officers of the last House would be arrested by the commission.

EFCC had, last Wednesday, quizzed Nafada and five other principal officers of the House over the sharing of the N10 billion loan allegedly secured by the former speaker, Dimeji Bankole, who is currently facing prosecution.

The anti_corruption agency had invited the principal officers of the past National Assembly, including former House Leader, Chief Tunde Akogun, Baba Shehu Agaie, Deputy Minority Leader, Sulaiman Kawu, Bello Mohammed, and former Minority Leader in the House, Senator Ali Ndume, who just won election into the Senate.

The move, according to EFCC sources, is aimed at tightening the noose around the former speaker.

Vanguard had reported how the ex-Speaker and his colleagues shared the N10 billion loan which was an outcome of an executive session wherein members insisted on enhancing their allowances. According to reports, the members had prevailed on the former Speaker to source and share the N10 billion loan, with Bankole getting about N100 million whereas his deputy got N80 million.

The House Leader was said to have received about N60 million and the Deputy House leader got N57.5 million. The Chief Whip of the House received N55 million, Deputy Chief Whip got N54.5 million; Minority Leader received N54.5 million, Minority Whip, N20 million, Deputy Minority Leader, N50 million while Deputy Minority Whip received N50 million.

The former Speaker was arrested last Sunday night after a stand-off between his security personnel and officers of the anti-corruption organization which lasted for many days and after Bankole had repeatedly shunned invitations by the Commission to come and answer questions on allegations of corruption.

SOURCE: VANGUARD

Continue Reading
2 Comments

2 Comments

  1. Nigeria Newspapers

    June 13, 2011 at 1:23 pm

    My own little concern is, cant the EFCC just come up with the full compilation of charges against Dimeji and not bringing out the rabbit out of the bag bit by bit? Kudos Info.Nigeria for the fresh news.

  2. Henry Divine

    June 14, 2011 at 9:08 am

    May God save Nigeria.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro News

Unknown Gunmen Kill Ondo Traditional Ruler, Olufon Of Ifon

Published

on

Unknown Gunmen Kill Ondo Traditional Ruler, Olufon Of Ifon

Olufon of Ifon

Oba Adegoke Adeusi, the Olufon of Ifon under Ose Local Government Area Ondo State, has been murdered by unknown gunmen suspected to be bandits.

Oba Adeusi was reportedly killed on Thursday evening at a spot around the Elegbeka axis of the town.

According to reports, the monarch was initially kidnapped before he was eventually killed.

Also Read: Shehu Sani Raises Alarm As Bandits Allegedly Kidnap Scores On Kaduna-Abuja Road

The monarch reportedly died at the Federal Medical Centre in Owo, as a result of gunshots he sustained during the attack.

The Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Tee Leo-Ikoro, confirmed the incident to Channels Television.

Describing the event as an unfortunate one, the Police spokesman in the state also revealed that two people in the monarch’s convoy were kidnapped.

Continue Reading

Metro News

No Pardon For Rapists, Says Sanwo-Olu

Published

on

No Pardon For Rapists, Says Sanwo-Olu

Babajide Sanwo-Olu

Governor of Lagos State, Babajide Sanwo-Olu has expressed that there is no pardon for people indicted in reported cases of rape and gender-based violence.

The governor made this remark on Thursday when he received a 54-page compendium on Sexual and Gender-Based Violence compiled by the Stakeholders’ Committee set up by this wife, Dr. Ibijoke Sanwo-Olu.

The Committee was set up to give recommendations on how the fight against sexual and gender-based violence can be won.

Speaking at the occasion, Sanwo-Olu, restated his commitment to protecting the vulnerable demographics and getting justice for victims violated.

Also Read: Don’t Allow Conspiracy Theorists Undermine Lagos Security, Sanwo-Olu Tells Residents

The governor said, “I am delighted by the work done by the Stakeholders’ Committee to bring attention to the problems facing voiceless adults and children in our society. Through your efforts, vulnerable people are building the courage to speak out on offences of sexual violence and heal their wounds.

“We will bring people, who have been perpetrating these crimes, knowingly or unknowingly, to book. We will ensure they never walk freely without the full wrath of the law brought upon them. It is part of our responsibility to ensure that the vulnerable members of our society have a voice and have access to where they can get justice when their rights are violated.”

Continue Reading

Metro News

Vendor’s Widow Disowns Family Over N500m Lawsuit Against Gbajabiamila

Published

on

Vendor’s Widow Disowns Family Over N500m Lawsuit Against Gbajabiamila

Femi Gbajabiamila

Josephine Okereke, wife of the Abuja-based vendor killed by a security aide of Femi Gbajabiamila, speaker of the house of representatives, has rejected the family’s demand of N500 million compensation.

Okereke while speaking to newsmen on Thursday stated that what she wants is justice for her late husband, and not the compensation being sought by his family.

Recall that some days ago, Ifeanyi, her husband, was shot by Abdullahi Hassan, a Department of State Services (DSS) operative attached to the speaker.

Also Read: Family Of Slain Vendor Demands N500m Compensation From Gbajabiamila, Threatens Legal Action

Days after the Speaker promised to ensure justice, the family of the slain vendor wrote the speaker, demanding a N500 million compensation.

Okereke, however, told journalists in Abuja that she was not privy to the N500 million compensation requested by the family.

“I was in my house when within 10 minutes my father-in-law came from Abia, he went out along with his other son and the next day I heard that my husband’s people are demanding N500 million as compensation,” she said.

“I was shocked and asked how will they be doing that and how will the speaker help the children again with such demand. All I want now is that the person that killed my husband to face justice.”

Continue Reading

Trending