Connect with us

Metro News

Pray for us, kidnapped journalists urge Nigerians

Published

on

The Chairman of the Lagos State Council of the Nigerian Union of Journalists, Mr. Wahab Oba, on Wednesday morning spoke from an unknown location, where he and four others are being kept by a gang of kidnappers.

He said in a telephone conversation with the National President of the NUJ, Mallam Mohammed Garba, that the kidnappers had so far treated them well since they were seized in Abia State on Sunday.

But he urged Nigerians to pray for their quick release because there was nothing better than freedom.

The other journalists kidnapped by the gunmen at Umuafor Ukwu, Obingwa Local Government Area are — the Assistant Secretary of the Lagos State council of the NUJ, Mr. Sylva Okeke; Secretary, NUJ Zone G, Mr. Adolphus Okonkwo; and a member, Mr. Shola Oyeyipo.

They were returning from Uyo, Akwa Ibom State after a National Executive Council meeting of the union when they were kidnapped along with their driver, Mr. Azeez Abdulrauf.

Part of the conversation between Oba and Garba was relayed to a delegation from the Lagos State Government by the state NUJ council Vice-Chairman, Mr. Deji Elumoye.

Elumoye said the conversation between Oba and Garba went thus, “We are okay in the hideout. They have treated us well so far. There has not been any form of harm done to us; but nothing is as good as having your freedom. Please pray for us.”

The Leader of the Lagos State delegation and Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr. Opeyemi Bamidele, urged the Federal Government to immediately put in place, steps to curb the rising wave of poverty in the country.

The Council of Lagos State Indigenes, led by its President, Mr. Sumbo Onitiri, was also at the NUJ secretariat on a solidarity visit.

Expressing surprise over the incident, the council called on the National Assembly to urgently pass the anti-terrorism bill pending before it, as a way of fighting the scourge.

Earlier, a delegation of the state NUJ officials, had paid a solidarity visit to the families of the kidnapped journalists at Journalists’ Estate, Arepo, Ogun State.

As at 9.30pm on Wednesday, the whereabouts of the journalists and their driver were still unknown but a source told one of our correspondents that the kidnappers insisted on collecting N250m as ransom before they could free them.

Although the source hinted that the captives might be freed last night, Garba confirmed that the kidnappers had refused to back down on their demand.

He said, “We are in touch with them (kidnappers), I still spoke with them this (Wednesday) afternoon but they insisted on their demand for N250m.

“ We don’t know where are we going to get such an amount of money; but we are still talking.”

The NUJ President, who had on Tuesday night relocated to Umuahia, the Abia State capital, also confirmed that he was in touch with the kidnapped journalists.

“I spoke with Wahab this (Wednesday) morning, he sounded okay. The others are okay too,” he said.

But Onovo, who reiterated the determination of the police to apprehend the kidnappers and free Oba and others, warned against the payment of ransom to secure the release of kidnap victims.

He said in a statement quoted by the News Agency of Nigeria on Wednesday that ransom encouraged kidnapping

The statement by the Force Public Relations Officer, Mr. Emmanuel Ojukwu, added that the IG “frowned seriously at the attitude of some citizens who pay ransom to kidnappers, to secure the release of their beloved ones.”

According to Ojukwu, Onovo warned that the police would take “serious action against persons who encourage the vice (kidnapping)” by such payment.

He urged that cases of abduction should be reported promptly to the police.

“The Nigeria Police Force has over 400 kidnappers in its custody and had rescued many victims from the clutches of criminal,” Ojukwu added.

Onovo, who addressed officers and men of the Imo State Police Command, took a swipe at the police commands in the South-East.

He said that it was regrettable that kidnappers and armed robbers were having their way in spite of the many police checkpoints on the highways in the zone.

The IG said the police had no reason to fail in the execution of their duties because they were now better equipped to fight crime.

He attributed the increasing wave of crime to the lack of commitment to duty by many policemen.

Onovo said, “You know what our mandates are. You have done well in maintaining peace and order. But you have failed in preventing crimes. There are over 5,000 policemen in this state.

“I can’t understand how kidnappers abduct people in Abia State, pass through Imo State to Anambra State without being arrested.

“I can’t understand how kidnappers enter churches and kidnap innocent worshippers. You can’t tell me that not even one person among you knows where these people are.”

Onovo, who is touring the commands in Zone 9 of the NPF, expressed dissatisfaction with the performance of the police within the past one year.

Recalling the kidnapping of four journalists and their driver in Abia State, the IG said he was optimistic that they (the journalists and their driver) would soon regain their freedom.

He put the figure of kidnap suspects being prosecuted in the zone at 350.

The Imo State Commissioner of Police, Mr. Aloysuis Okorie, had earlier told Onovo that more than 600 persons were arrested for various crimes within the past one year in the state.

Okorie disclosed that five policemen died during gun duel with armed robbers during the period.

Source: Punch Newspapers – www.punchng.com

Metro News

How it all went down when 9mobile met its subscribers in Kano…

Published

on

9mobile customers in Kano had an opportunity to interact with and provide first-hand feedback to the management team of the telecommunication company during the Customer Forum which took place recently in Kano.

The Forum which is aimed at deepening the brand’s relationship with subscribers on network saw customers asking questions and sharing experiences with the leading network.

Speaking at the event, Chief Commercial Officer of 9mobile, Stjepan Udovicic, explained that the forum was designed to hear directly from its subscribers in the city in order to serve them better and continuously meet their telecommunication needs.

“This forum is very important to us. We want to know what you think about the company, the brand, and what you think about our products and services because we are eager to evolve. 9mobile is transforming; we are planning substantial changes in the company, but to make these changes right, we need to listen to our customers,” Udovicic
said.

Echoing similar sentiment, Director, Customer Care, 9mobile, Ehimare Omoike said: “We thought it would be nice to come here to feel the pulse of our customers, hear from you as we go into our planning season, to look at how best to serve our customers here in Kano and around the country. The customer forum is an initiative we started years back where we go to major cities to hear from our customers what the challenges are what they expect from us as a network.”

Samson Onwani, a 9mobile customer who attended the event said, “I am happy that 9mobile recognizes the value of its customers which is why we have been invited here today. I am also happy with the flow of the session, particularly the explanations on the different questions raised during the event.”

Another customer, Saadatu Ado, expressed satisfaction with the clarifications the 9mobile team provided to issues raised by participants at the forum. She said, “I liked the interactive nature of the meeting. The 9mobile team was able to clarify many issues raised by customers.”

The Customer Forum featured raffle draw sessions where lucky winners went home with mobile phones and other exciting prizes. There was also plenty to eat and drink in a thrilling atmosphere where @chiboiwazobiafm was master of ceremonies.

The next 9mobile Customer Forum train is set to berth in Lagos.

Watch out!

Continue Reading

Metro News

Infinix Note 8 on celebrity talk show Rubbin minds with Ebuka, first smart phone in Nigeria

Published

on

Last Sunday, the Rubbin minds show took an unexpected but totally pleasant turn as popular presenter and
anchor of the show, Ebuka featured Infinix Content Manager, Kevin Olumese, on a special edition for the recently
launched Infinix Note 8.

If you’d cast your mind not so far back, you’d remember that Infinix set a record with the Note 8’s predecessor
(Note 7) earlier this year when it was launched in a short, Infinix-customized show which was studded with
celebrities. On Sunday, Infinix set another record as it became the first smartphone to be launched on the
celebrity talk show- Rubbin Minds.

If there’s anything that’s more interesting than the sound of this new achievement, it surely will be how exactly the
show went down.

As usual, Ebuka drilled deep into the business of his guest which, on this show, was the Infinix Note 8. No
questions were spared and Kevin, Infinix’s representative, did well to provide precise answers to every question
asked as regards the Infinix Note 8 and the Infinix brand on the show. And, as usual, both the anchor, guest and
most certainly, the viewers at home had a great time sharing laughs and conversation around the Note 8. The
show got off to an early start as Ebuka asked why the Note 8 was codenamed the Night Shot King. Kevin’s
simple answer to the question was “Simply put, it takes awesome shots at night.” However, he did us one better
as he explained in more detail what the Note 8’s night shot camera has to offer.

According to Kevin – and, backed up by several reviews online – the Note 8 comes with a 64MP Ultra HD, Nights
shot camera that introduces adequate lighting into low-light scenes and makes it possible to capture beautifully lit
images with true-to-life beauty and rich colours during the night time.

Kevin posited that this device could not have come at a better time than now. His reason for holding that position is that if the pandemic has thought us anything it’d be to cherish the moments that we get to share
together. Luckily, the lock-down has been eased all over the world and lovers, friends and people in general are
beginning to meet and hangout with themselves once again. Because these meetings are more special than they
used to be, it’s only apt for us to want to have them captured and saved up regardless of the time and the Note 8
makes sure that this is achievable at any time round the clock.

Among other features of the Note 8 that was discussed on the show was the device’s 6.95inch HD+ screen. The
super-wide screen is good for mobile gaming, Netflix or YouTube binging, bantering on social media and
consuming every form of visual content.

Other features include the 16Mp dual selfie camera that sits right in the top left corner of the devices screen, eliminates the upper notch, and captures crisp images. The device also comes with a mobile game-dedicated
processor called the MediaTek Helio G80 processor and runs on a 5200mAh battery.

During the course of the show, Kevin also revealed other things like why the brand adopts the type of designs
and uses the colour options that it currently uses for its product. He also shed some light on why Infinix has
Davido as its brand ambassador and why the brand has a keen interest in entertainment. This was a very
expository moment on the show.

Towards the tail end of the event, Infinix announced two of its empowerment activities that are already ongoing.
The first is the Storm X challenge, designed for young entertainers who can either dance or sing. Infinix has
promised to reward the winner of the challenge with the opportunity to feature one of Nigeria’s leading artiste.

The other empowerment activity is called the #EmpoweredByinfnixNote8 campaign and is targeted towards
young entrepreneurs. At the end of the campaign, lucky entrepreneurs will walk away with 1million naira
empowerment fund.

Interested participants can follow @Infinixnigeria on Facebook, Twitter r Instagram to get more details on any of
the empowerment activities.

This special edition of the Rubbin minds show was truly insightful and engaging and Infinix is set to entertain
viewers once more as they also announced that they’d be the lead sponsor of the second edition of the Turn Up
Friday which is set to kick off later this month.

Infinix has always devised means to connect better with their fans, and they seem to be intensifying their efforts
during this final quarter of the year. Hopefully, this move will yield great dividend for them as they prepare for the
end of the year.

Continue Reading

Tech News

Hit the Infinix Global Jackpot and you might win a brand new car!

Published

on

There’s no better way to celebrate Christmas than with a big win. This year, Infinix will be giving its customers the opportunity to win big this festive season.

Infinix, premium online-driven smartphone brand, will be launching the “Infinix Global Jackpot” for the first time. The leading smartphone brand has decided to do this as a way of appreciating brand loyalists for their support over the years. Premium gifts, such as cars, refrigerators, home appliances and other grand draw prizes will be given out during the festive season.

Before you start making room for that brand new car, here’s what you need to know about the Infinix Global Jackpot.

The promo is set to start on the 27th of November and will end on the 13th of January. During this period, anyone who purchases any of the Infinix Note 8 series, Hot 10 series, Zero 8 series, or the S5 pro will be entitled to participate in an online raffle draw. At the end of the raffle, emergent winners will walk away with one of several amazing prizes including a brand new car.

Concerning the promo, Mr. Philip Pan, Infinix Global GTM and Retail Management Director said, “Infinix has achieved great milestones over the years and we couldn’t have done it without our customers. This is why we have made it a culture to continually show them our appreciation in the best way that we can. The ‘Infinix Global Jackpot’ is another gesture of appreciation from us to our beloved customers in Nigeria.”

There are three ways to benefit from this promo.

1. Offline purchase
Walk into any authorized retail store and buy any of the earlier mentioned devices i.e. Infinix Note 8 series, Zero 8 series, Hot 10 series or the S5 pro and stand a chance to win branded gift items like bags, flasks, umbrellas etc.

2. Join the Infinix community – Xclub
If you’re not a part of the Xclub and you own an Infinix device, you can simply register byaccessing the Xclub application on your smartphone application list. If you do not own an Infinix device, there’s nothing to worry about. You can also join the community by registering here.

Participate in Xclub activities after registration to stand a chance of winning discount coupons to purchase any Infinix device at a discount. Lucky individuals might also get to win one unit of the Infinix Zero 8 for free.

3. Participate in the raffle
The biggest winners will come from the raffle draw. Participants will stand a chance to walk away with selected home appliances and the Grand prize – one new car.

Here’s what you need to do to participate;

1. Get a ticket when you buy any of the Note 8 series, Hot 10 series, Zero 8 series, or S5 pro from offline stores to qualify for the raffle draw.

2. Follow @Infinixnigeria to get updates on the promo.

3. Watch out for your raffle ticket number during the raffle draw winner announcement.

Promo runs from November 27th till January 15th . So, get ready to see some wonderful surprises roll in from now till the New Year. The draw dates are as follows.

  • Lucky Prize:11 December 2020 – 13 January 2021 Live Draw.
  • Mega Jackpot:11 December 2020 – 5 January 2021 Draw date: 8 January 2021.
  • Super Jackpot:6 January 2021 – 13 January 2021 Draw date: 15 January 2021.

For more information, please visit Infinix on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram @Infinixnigeria.

Continue Reading

Trending